Lock'n'Load October Daily Dose

Started by bayonetbrant, October 02, 2012, 08:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Lock'n'Load Publishing is giving away freebies/discounts every day in October.

QuoteWe want to do something different. We want to do something to say thanks, something to show you all that we appreciate your patience, and your trust. The Daily Dose is that something. On everyday of October 2012 we will be offering a freebie. Articles, scenarios, coupons, counters, maps—one a day, every day. Some of the freebies will be from Line of Fire, some of them will be constructed specially for the Daily Dose.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Very cool idea.  Thanks for sharing the link.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

GJK

Are version 3.1 rules for the "heroes" system available for download anywhere?  I'm hoping that they clear up the numerous questions that I had for "Day of Heroes" and the v3.0 rules that it came with.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Pinetree

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

bayonetbrant

Wondering what today's dose is going to be.  Mark's the only guy out there with a real Somalia game, and with OCT 3-4 being the anniversary of the Battle of Mogadishu, it seems like he'd want to tie into that somehow.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Quote from: Pinetree on October 04, 2012, 12:01:54 AM
You can get 3.1 rules from heroes of the gap here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/71967/heroes-of-the-gap-rules-scan
Great, thank you. 
Will I need to OCR this or does Mr. Walker not like to have ebook versions of his rules posted - or perhaps there's just a delay (I know I've downloaded the 3.0 rulebook from somewhere).
What are some of the significant changes from 3.0 to 3.1?  I like how the ASL SK rulebooks highlight what has changed or been added; the same would of been nice here.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Jack Nastyface

Quote from: GJK on October 04, 2012, 09:18:22 AM
I like how the ASL SK rulebooks highlight what has changed or been added; the same would of been nice here.
As much as I like the LnL rules and game system (heck - I'm even writing a couple of scenarios for DoH!) the rulebook is a little difficult to wade through at times, and it lacks things like a change log and highlights (bold fonts, etc).  There are a number of walk-throughs and guides available on BGG that make things just a little easier.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

GJK

Thanks- ill have to go see what resources I can find on BGG.  I completely reorganized the rule book because he has stuff scattered all over and without an index.  That had helped greatly but when I can get around the ASL rulebook with relative ease as compared to the 20 page LnL rules, I've either too stuck in an ASL mindset or that rulebook just seems to make that game a whole lot more complex than it actually is. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Jack Nastyface

Quote from: GJK on October 05, 2012, 03:00:46 PM
I completely reorganized the rule book because he has stuff scattered all over and without an index.
You mean you've already done a re-org of the rules?  If so, I'd love to see them if you'd be willing to share.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

TheCommandTent

I am trying to learn LnL: Band of Heroes and I agree the rule book was a taxing read.  If you guys have links to any good walkthroughs please share.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Arctic Blast

Quote from: TheCommandTent on October 05, 2012, 06:25:26 PM
I am trying to learn LnL: Band of Heroes and I agree the rule book was a taxing read.  If you guys have links to any good walkthroughs please share.

I had the same problem when I was learning Band of Heroes. For some reason, I flat out couldn't find anything about Spotting rules...drove me nuts!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on October 05, 2012, 03:07:22 PM
Quote from: GJK on October 05, 2012, 03:00:46 PM
I completely reorganized the rule book because he has stuff scattered all over and without an index.
You mean you've already done a re-org of the rules?  If so, I'd love to see them if you'd be willing to share.

Me too! Me too!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Im glad it wasn't just me 

Dies anybody have some saved pbem vassal logs by any chance?  Im convinced that this is really a simple game that suffers from a very poorly written set of instructions 

I'll post a copy of what I have when I get home later.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Lots of examples of play here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/videos/thing/18460/lock-n-load-band-of-heroes

I have a couple of vassal saves kicking around if anyone wants them.

The rule book is written in a "conversational" style... like someone telling how to play across the board. It does make it a pain to try to look stuff up.
There are some really good player aids out there too.

Here's 2 I use a lot. I did not make these.
****Crap I can't post them as they are larger than 500KB. PM me and I email them to you.

Staggerwing

You should be able to link to the images after dropping them in a photobucket account. Then there is no bandwidth throttle.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys