Weekend Gaming

Started by GJK, October 19, 2012, 07:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Me and my son set up GMT's "Labyrinth" for some playings tonight.  If he likes the system, we'll move on to "Twilight Struggle" in the coming weeks.

Im always up for a game of ASL or Up Front, so one or both of those should make the table. 

Still wading through the LnL rules in the hopes of playing "Day of Heroes" soon.

Artwork continues on my upgraded version of "Hitler's War" and I know I'll tinker with that some more.

What's going on your table this weekend?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on October 19, 2012, 07:23:00 AMWhat's going on your table this weekend?

smores!

we're camping with the Cub Scouts this weekend...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

You're not taking your ASL travel kit for some late night gaming around the campfire?  Just tell the kids to make sure that they wipe their hands thoroughly before picking up the counters. ;)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

DV8

Just got back into town and I'm itchin to try a solitaire game of WaW.
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

bob48

Actually, seeing your picture of BnB has made me want to play some WaW, so I think I'll do some Brit scenario's :)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Arctic Blast

Hannibal : Rome vs. Carthage will finally see the light of day! A friend and I have played Twilight Struggle for quite some time, and this is one of our first attempts to branch out beyond that in the CDG world.

He also wants to play Claustrophobia again, and I'm pretty much always game to play that. Perhaps some Sergeants as well.

Once a few more people show up in the evening, we'll play Cyclades (as has been requested by a few) and...not sure what else, actually. I'll take a few possibilities and we'll play whatever people feel like.

TheCommandTent

Some non wargames with friends tonight and perhaps tomorrow I will try another solo scenario in LnL Band of Heroes.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

GJK

For the LnL BoH line of games, was there a specific cheat-sheet or other learning aid that helped you out the most or was it taught to you perhaps?  I'm still looking for that lightbulb moment to where I finally figure out what the heck Mr. Walker is saying in regards to how to actually play the game(s).
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GroggyGrognard

A friend of mine and I will be giving the new Star Wars X-Wing game a try.

Copy...gold leader. 8)
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

DV8

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on October 19, 2012, 06:41:22 PM
A friend of mine and I will be giving the new Star Wars X-Wing game a try.

Copy...gold leader. 8)

"Stay on target"
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

Ubercat

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2012, 05:14:14 PM
Hannibal : Rome vs. Carthage will finally see the light of day! A friend and I have played Twilight Struggle for quite some time, and this is one of our first attempts to branch out beyond that in the CDG world.

If you guys like CDG's, you should try For the People http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/833/for-the-people . I barely think about TS since getting into this fantastic Civil War game. The strategy is pretty damn deep and intense.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

TheCommandTent

Quote from: GJK on October 19, 2012, 05:47:03 PM
For the LnL BoH line of games, was there a specific cheat-sheet or other learning aid that helped you out the most or was it taught to you perhaps?  I'm still looking for that lightbulb moment to where I finally figure out what the heck Mr. Walker is saying in regards to how to actually play the game(s).

Not yet as I am still trying to figure it out for myself.  ;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

Lock'n'Load

Infantry combat:
--attacker--       ---- defender ----
FP + die roll -vs- terrain + die roll

if you exceed the defender's morale, you do damage.  the more you exceed it, the better the damage (shaken, wounded, dead)
you do need to spot a target to shoot at it, and if you start closing into melee combat, there's a different resolution

vehicles are a whole different animal
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 19, 2012, 11:07:10 PM
Lock'n'Load

Infantry combat:
--attacker--       ---- defender ----
FP + die roll -vs- terrain + die roll

if you exceed the defender's morale, you do damage.  the more you exceed it, the better the damage (shaken, wounded, dead)
you do need to spot a target to shoot at it, and if you start closing into melee combat, there's a different resolution

vehicles are a whole different animal

Yeah I think I've got your basic infantry combat down.  I haven't even tried melee or vehicle combat yet.

One question I do have.  When you try and spot with a unit, if successful they can shoot at that unit it only right away, however if they fail to spot you put an Ops Complete marker on them and they can only Op Fire at half fire power and nothing else.  Is that the right way to do it?

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Ubercat on October 19, 2012, 10:05:41 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2012, 05:14:14 PM

If you guys like CDG's, you should try For the People http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/833/for-the-people . I barely think about TS since getting into this fantastic Civil War game. The strategy is pretty damn deep and intense.

That one's on the Wishlist as well, though it seems to be scarce North of the border right now (actually, a good chunk of the GMT catalog seems a bit hard to find at the moment). My next buy will probably be Paths of Glory. Washington's War is also of interest, as is Amateurs to Arms (though I'm going to have to look over the rules for that one first, because that's a significantly higher purchase price).