What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

About to start Devolution by Max Brooks.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

I just finished "How to be a Dictator" by Frank Dikötter  .  Not a bad book, but it was mostly a review of the careers of some of the major 20th century dictators.  Not a lot of analysis on the commonalities and differences between their paths to power and how they retained it.  I was hoping for more of that.  About to start Ocean's Ventured by John Lehman.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

About to begin The Witchfinder omnibus of graphic novels, by Mike Mignola and a bunch of other artists, inkers, writers, etc. Good stuff. The Baltimore books are awesome.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Witchfinder was even better than I expected and a quick read. Now 50 pages in to Anno Dracula by Kim Newman.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

airboy

I've started Tower of Skulls.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Finished White Noise by Don DeLillo today.  Incredibly well written and funny novel, though I found the last 1/3rd to drag just a bit before the end.  Regardless, it's absolutely a modern(-ish) masterpiece of American literature and black humor.

Next I want to get started on Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson, which is a novel set in the Vietnam War about a CIA Psychological Operations official.  Sounds quite intriguing and had pretty strong reception.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Just started Paris 1919 by Margaret Macmillan.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2020, 11:29:45 AM

The Deluge -- Adam Tooze on 1916 to 1931 as very weird

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2020, 11:29:45 AM

That's a good book.  Read that a couple of years ago and remember it being an interesting read.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I'm about 50 pages in and its dense but written beautifully. The author is David Lloyd George's great-granddaughter so she had access to some incredible primary sources.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Ooh I did not know that.  (I never read the about the author section of books)

That would explain why it is so well written.  Let us know what you think when you're done. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk