Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labbug

Quote from: Tanaka on October 17, 2017, 09:42:45 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 17, 2017, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on October 17, 2017, 09:00:46 PM
The one thing that frustrates me about this game that I do not understand that while I am only colonizing earth and ocean planets the AI just colonizes everything. How are they doing that and how is that beneficial? Yet I am still getting stomped on Challenging. No one seems to mention how good the AI is in this game.

I colonize inhospitable worlds for minerals and resources, or to build industrial centers capable of building large Star ships quickly.

Is it really viable to colonize the inhospitable worlds for resources? How do you sustain them? Which ones are best?

Yes, it is if you have researched the different atmospheric domes types that will allow you to colonize them and enough agricultural worlds to supply food to them.  You will eventually you will be able to research hydroponics which will grow food on the inhospitable worlds (do not remember if hydroponics can be used on all types of inhospitable worlds though and they cannot be used on gas planets).  As to which ones are best, it depends on what resources you are short of.  Also you want to look for planets that have research point where a planetary research center can be built. 

HoodedHorseJoe

It's worth noting that only inhospitable worlds that have resource icons on them can be mined, just in case that wasn't clear. The planets with literally nothing on them are really only good for border choke points, fuelling way-points or, when you have the tech, farming.

You can technically use them for starship production as well but they're going to be less efficient than earthlikes with a hefty production bonus.

There is one race that starts off with the ability to colonise more types of worlds than the other races do, so they get a head-start in that area. Can't remember which one it is, but it's probably only those guys you're seeing colonise more places early on.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  The real issue with those domes is that they cost time and production to produce, so your growth ramp is MUCH faster on planets you can colonize without domes.  This is also true for Ocean planets, although my recollection is that the Ocean Platforms don't have nearly the cost of domes.

Just to be clear on the game mechanics, domes allow people.  People then allow production buildings.  Different planet types have different production chains, and some techs allow you to skip some build prerequisites.  I'm hazy on the specifics, as it's been six months since I played the game.

The other good reason to colonize sub-optimal planets sooner or later is to prevent the enemy from getting refueling points.

Sparhawk

You can colonize more types of planets as you gain the tech obviously. The question remains "When should I colonize a planet now that I have the tech?" Once I have atmospheric domes I sort out the planets with the best mineral resources to colonize, usually I look for at least 10 mineral rating on a planet. You have to be very conservative with mineral+ colonies to begin with so you don't run out of food. As I discover earth like planets I will either make them farm planets or industrial planets. If a planet has an industrial rating of at least 40 I will consider it for industry only if it is toward the front, less distance for fleets to travel, any backwater will become food production for the empire regardless of industrial potential. All other earth like planets are for food. All ocean planets are for innovation. Of course as you gain the tech you can add farms to many types of planets as well but this is only supplemental. You need to build your farm base up so when you gain celestial station tech you can colonize as many gas giants as have good resources. At this point in the game every ship order you place will suck up massive quantities of minerals and you must have a solid farm base established to feed all those colonies that support your war machine. I've had many promising starts that have devolved into all out rebellion before I could get a handle on food production and this formula has proven successful for how I play. I hope it helps others.
Remember guns on lower decks only have a 90 degree arc so don't face into swarms of fighters, and use formations to add fire support between ships. :peace:

Barthheart

Atmospheric domes is the first tech I rush so I can get colonies out on the high value rocks.

Tanaka

Wow thanks for all of the great tips guys this really helps!!  :clap:

Tanaka

Quote from: Sparhawk on October 19, 2017, 12:06:48 AM
You can colonize more types of planets as you gain the tech obviously. The question remains "When should I colonize a planet now that I have the tech?" Once I have atmospheric domes I sort out the planets with the best mineral resources to colonize, usually I look for at least 10 mineral rating on a planet. You have to be very conservative with mineral+ colonies to begin with so you don't run out of food. As I discover earth like planets I will either make them farm planets or industrial planets. If a planet has an industrial rating of at least 40 I will consider it for industry only if it is toward the front, less distance for fleets to travel, any backwater will become food production for the empire regardless of industrial potential. All other earth like planets are for food. All ocean planets are for innovation. Of course as you gain the tech you can add farms to many types of planets as well but this is only supplemental. You need to build your farm base up so when you gain celestial station tech you can colonize as many gas giants as have good resources. At this point in the game every ship order you place will suck up massive quantities of minerals and you must have a solid farm base established to feed all those colonies that support your war machine. I've had many promising starts that have devolved into all out rebellion before I could get a handle on food production and this formula has proven successful for how I play. I hope it helps others.
Remember guns on lower decks only have a 90 degree arc so don't face into swarms of fighters, and use formations to add fire support between ships. :peace:

Awesome advice! What do you mean by Ocean planets are for innovation?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tanaka on October 19, 2017, 09:18:14 PM
Quote from: Sparhawk on October 19, 2017, 12:06:48 AM

Awesome advice! What do you mean by Ocean planets are for innovation?

Use ocean planets for research...at least until you can farm on ocean worlds.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

I find that research takes forever to construct. I tried ocean worlds but I think the speed you can build research stations depends on factories. So incolonize ocean planets and usually farm on them. I then go back and destroy my farms on Terran planets and replace with industry or research
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tactical Wargamer

I noticed no MP??
Yikes

Is it as good as Stellaris?

Thanks
@TacticWargamer

ghostryder

comparing it to stellaris or distant worlds for that matter is kind of hard because the game's focus and strengths are in different areas. Stellaris is race focused- no other game has the race depth. though the default are 'meh' what the game covers in it's inner workings is far deeper than any other 4x game...it's not just about stats. It's about culture, government types, race differences, ethos, traits, civics...etc etc etc--whereas it's combat is a lot less focused. But your ability to mod just about any canon species of other franchises...be it star trek or Dune---is unmatched. The race options in PS are rather shallow compared to stellaris-

Now if the question is "is it as fun" then the answer would be yes. Lots of fun can be had from both games but the two games are so different it's like trying to compare the best chinese restaurant to the best Mexican restaurant.

Labbug

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/705/details/Polaris.Sector.Lumens

I do not think this has been posted yet but there is a new expansion out for Polaris Sector "Lumens".

Barthheart

Pete Dero

Quote from: Labbug on November 14, 2017, 10:05:53 AM
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/705/details/Polaris.Sector.Lumens

I do not think this has been posted yet but there is a new expansion out for Polaris Sector "Lumens".

It is a must-buy for every Polaris Sector fan and if you have never tried it there's no better occasion than now. The base game Polaris Sector is 50% off only on our site, and it'll be discounted at half price for a week until Tuesday November 21st! If you buy it on our site you will receive a Steam key as well.

FarAway Sooner

I'm very interested in hearing reviews of this.  I love the game and am eager to hear what the new changes bring.  I'm downloading the patch now and will likely fire up this evening to check out updates to the base game.  These are some much needed enhancements.

I do wish that they'd streamlined the research tree.  The research system itself is great, but it grows so complex after the first 50 or 100 years that I lose any ability to manage or even navigate it.  If it turns out that I'm mistaken and they have simplified the research tree, I'd love to hear about it!

Still, getting the fleet management and fleet repair pieces simplified is a HUGE win for this game.  It's a great little gem and is well served by the additional polishing.  Adding race-specific tech trees goes a way towards adding race flavor and enhancing replayability.