Main Menu

Distant Worlds 2

Started by Yskonyn, December 14, 2019, 11:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Some quick picks and info for people that don't want to click....

But a few things being said in summary....

I can confirm the game engine is 64-bit, multi-core capable, with full resolution and scaling support and fully 3D. Memory usage in equal circumstances should actually be less than Distant Worlds: Universe due to various technical reasons and optimizations, but obviously it will require a computer capable of playing 3D games.

Some pics.....

[/img]

Yskonyn

To add some context to the post above:
The first pic is old. Its from a twitter post of the dev several years ago. The second pic is the posted teaser by Erik Rutins yesterday.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

FarAway Sooner

That first pic was a very literal application of the phrase "screen shot"!   ;D

solops

Who are all those old farts? Some look old enough to be my...Ummm...younger brothers.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Martok

Even with DW2 appearing to use the same bad font and sub-bar UI, my loins are still moistened.  This just went to the top of my "most-wanted" list for next year.  :dreamer: 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Got some more screenshots from Slitherine...I think these were taken from the recent stream event. They've been working on DW2 for over 4 years (DW1 was the product of 9 years of development)! Obviously, the screenshots included here are not from a final, polished release build so there is unfinished areas and missing or placeholder art. 

I understand that the goal for Distant Worlds 2 is to make a better Distant Worlds 1, with a new and modern engine.  Distant Worlds 2 is based on an entirely new 64-bit, multi-core capable 3D engine which provides better performance and the ability to create even larger galaxies with more to explore, more stories to tell and even larger battles.   In addition, it allowsfor a fully scalable interface.

A Teekan Spaceport in orbit around a planet

A Mortalen Spaceport with component slot markers turned on

The ship design interface and a view of a Mortalen Spaceport.

In Distant Worlds 1, ships were two dimensional units basically defined by their size.  Size determined how many components could fit in a ship.  Each component that could fit in a ship had a size and while you needed some minimum components to get a ship to work, beyond that you could put in whatever you wanted, as long as you stayed within the maximum size.  Your size was also essentially your bag of hit points and any damage that wasn't soaked up by your shields or your armor started destroying components.

In Distant Worlds 2, ships are a bit more interesting.  For one thing, they are now three dimensional models.  For another, ships now have a hull, which has its own armor rating and ability to take damage, as well as additional space that can fit components.  That additional space is divided into slots, which are organized by the broad component category they are intended to fit.  When a ship takes a hit, assuming it gets past the shields (which now can allow some damage to "leak" through, but also can have some base resistance against small shots, similar to the reactive rating for armor) and the armor, it may hit the hull or it may hit a component.  If your hull is too badly damaged, your ship will be destroyed.  If you lose the wrong components, you could also be effectively dead in space, but not necessarily destroyed.

When you are deciding how to build a ship now, you first research a hull, which defines the hull armor, hull size and the size and number of components it can fit.

This is a shot of an Ackdarian Construction Ship

Some of these component slots are external (for example, all the weapons and engine, the hangar, some of the defenses).  In the case of an external slot, adding a component there is actually reflected on the 3D model of the ship.  A ship with four weapons will have four visible weapons, whereas a ship with one will only have one.  A ship that has filled out all its possible engine slots to be as fast as possible will visibly have more engines, and so on.

In many cases, this means that you can see significant differences in the ship model based on the design style chosen for a particular ship.  It's worth noting that you almost never have enough available space in the hull to fill every possible slot.  As with Distant Worlds 1, you can choose to specialize a ship in one or a few areas, or to try to balance its capabilities across all areas.

Within the ship design interface, you can easily view the different categories of components, review the component slots in your selected hull and also see the visualization of the ship and the component slot locations in the center.  The right side allows you to see a summary of your ship's capabilities in a variety of areas.

This is an Ackdarian Spaceport in orbit around an Ocean Planet

This is view of the planet Sreloor 5 and its moons

This is view of a red gas giant with a mining station in orbit

This is a peek at the main interface, still work in progress, but showing a system view in the center, various main interface dialogs in the top left, including the Military one which is open, the selection dialog in the bottom left with some information regarding the selected Mortalen Destroyer, a summary of the planets, ships and stations in the system being viewed in the bottom center, map overlay toggles in the bottom right and victory, settings, message and speed controls in the top right.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

OJsDad

My two biggest questions for DW2 are'

1.  Will they improve combat.  Combat in DW1 was one of the big let downs for me.
2.  I hated ordering a number of ships to be built, and then sent to a rally point.  Later, you go to that rally point and find half the ships are stuck somewhere with no fuel because the AI wasn't smart enough to route them to points to refuel, or tell you they wouldn't make it without fuel.

I did like not having manage the economy.

Depending when it comes out, I may wait until I get my anniversary coupon. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Yskonyn

Seeing the interface icons I hope DasTactic will do his mod magic quickly! ☺️

FarAway Sooner

I've never in my life known a game that was so good, yet had the potential to be so much better, if only the AI would stop doing stupid dumb-ass stuff.  I played it more hours than I can readily remember, and loved every second of it (I think I must have invested 15 or 20 hours of time in watching Tutorial videos alone), but ultimately, the foolishness of the AI made me put it away before I ever made it further than 1/4 of the way through a game.

Martok

Well Elliot has had 4+ years to work on the sequel, and he has to know the AI is one of the game's more significant weak points.  Hopefully we'll see it do a better job this time around. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on December 24, 2019, 12:44:10 AM
I've never in my life known a game that was so good, yet had the potential to be so much better, if only the AI would stop doing stupid dumb-ass stuff.  I played it more hours than I can readily remember, and loved every second of it (I think I must have invested 15 or 20 hours of time in watching Tutorial videos alone), but ultimately, the foolishness of the AI made me put it away before I ever made it further than 1/4 of the way through a game.

+1

Though I'm tempted to fire it backup to try it out again.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.