Afrika Korps by SGS

Started by Boggit, October 31, 2020, 03:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 18, 2020, 10:01:29 PM
Did 88mm get matched against MC?
No. I am still trying to get an opponent for him.

IanC has recently DM'd me and expressed some interest, but I don't know if he wants to commit just yet as he is concerned as to whether the game is for him or not. I have asked him to think about it and get back to me.

Is it the case you'd be happy to match up with MC?

To be fair to MC I don't want to hang about much in finding him an opponent, so if IanC doesn't want to commit, or takes more than a couple of days to confirm then I think if you want to play MC then that should be fine.

I will DM IanC now and let him know that there is potentially other interest, as I don't want to mess him around unnecessarily. I will ask him for a decision by Saturday.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

@Jason

IanC has decided to sit this one out so there's an opening for you to play if you want. Please advise. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Just a restatement of the competition rules (recovered froom the signup thread)

Each game will be a win/lose sudden death in the league, save for the first round, where you play three games. The survivor will proceed to the next round.

Round 1
Operazione E 1940
Afrika Korps 1941
Battleaxe 1941

Round 2 Quarter Final
Crusader 1941

Round 3 Semi Final
Afrika Korps 1942

Round 4 Final
El Alamein 1942

I will randomly allocate an odd group and an even group. The odd group will play Allies in their first game, and continue to alternate as Axis in their second game and so on. Almost the same for the even group who will play Axis first, then Allies etc.

Millipede

Oh boy, this is not going well.

Since I signed up to participate and received a free game I feel obligated to give it my best shot but learning this game is frustrating as hell and 'frustrating as hell' is not equivalent to fun.

My most recent mine field is an inability to split my forces before pursuit after a breakthrough. I've restarted the same scenario numerous times and each time I get to the breakthrough part I try repeating the actions from the tutorial video, which I've watched multiple times, and I can't duplicate the results. If I select units for a new formation, I can't click on the little double arrow icon to confirm the new unit because there is no little double arrow icon anywhere to be found. If I try to left click and drag any of the units in the formation away from the stack and into the same territory they just pop back into the original stack. So I just keep attempting different actions until, completely unintentionally, the whole damn stack moves to a different location leaving the departed territory undefended. At that point I restart and try again with, eventually, an equally frustrating result.

I may not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier but I'm not the dimmest either and shouldn't the manual and/or the tutorial be written in such a fashion that allows all bulbs, regardless of intensity, to learn how the game works?

If there was a method to transfer the free game to someone else so that they could participate I'd be all over that but as things stand I'll just muddle through as best I can.     

Sir Slash

:o NOT Good! Sounds broken to me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

Quote from: Millipede on November 20, 2020, 05:41:41 PM

Since I signed up to participate and received a free game I feel obligated to give it my best shot but learning this game is frustrating as hell and 'frustrating as hell' is not equivalent to fun.

My most recent mine field is an inability to split my forces before pursuit after a breakthrough. I've restarted the same scenario numerous times and each time I get to the breakthrough part I try repeating the actions from the tutorial video, which I've watched multiple times, and I can't duplicate the results. If I select units for a new formation, I can't click on the little double arrow icon to confirm the new unit because there is no little double arrow icon anywhere to be found. If I try to left click and drag any of the units in the formation away from the stack and into the same territory they just pop back into the original stack. So I just keep attempting different actions until, completely unintentionally, the whole damn stack moves to a different location leaving the departed territory undefended. At that point I restart and try again with, eventually, an equally frustrating result.

I may not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier but I'm not the dimmest either and shouldn't the manual and/or the tutorial be written in such a fashion that allows all bulbs, regardless of intensity, to learn how the game works?

If there was a method to transfer the free game to someone else so that they could participate I'd be all over that but as things stand I'll just muddle through as best I can.   
Good points. I'll contact Philippe and Kevin right now as this is clearly a frustrating situation for you. Perhaps a hotfix will cure it?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Philthib

Quote from: Millipede on November 20, 2020, 05:41:41 PM

Willing to assist you any suitable way for you. In fact in breakthrough it works "slighlty" differently than on the usual split stack. It's indicated in the manual but I agree no one reads it.

How it works in breakthrough: the whole set of units able to breakthrough is offered to you in the small window that pops up above the battlefield. If you want a unit NOT to participate in the breakthrough (= stay on the region of the battle, to protect your rear/LOC), then click on it. It becomes greyed-out. You can do that (and toggle back and forth) to as many/few units that you want. All the units that remain selected/highlighted will breakthrough...
Note that if you don't want to breakthrough, just click on the battle region itself

Last but not least, no breakthrough in various directions: you can choose only one region.

Hope this is clearer.

Millipede

Quote from: Philthib on November 21, 2020, 11:20:09 AM

Willing to assist you any suitable way for you. In fact in breakthrough it works "slighlty" differently than on the usual split stack. It's indicated in the manual but I agree no one reads it.

How it works in breakthrough: the whole set of units able to breakthrough is offered to you in the small window that pops up above the battlefield. If you want a unit NOT to participate in the breakthrough (= stay on the region of the battle, to protect your rear/LOC), then click on it. It becomes greyed-out. You can do that (and toggle back and forth) to as many/few units that you want. All the units that remain selected/highlighted will breakthrough...
Note that if you don't want to breakthrough, just click on the battle region itself

Last but not least, no breakthrough in various directions: you can choose only one region.

Hope this is clearer.

Thanks Philippe, that helped a great deal... my forces are rolling again. I might add that it is still very easy to mis-click which can produce an uncorrectable movement error. I guess that we'll all just have to be very careful.

Tripoli

I concur about the mis-clicks. It is easy to take a slightly incorrect path or to go to a region you didn't want to move to, and the move is unrevokable.  An undo last move button would be very helpful, similar to what is done in Field of Glory II
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Sure, thanks, I'll be glad for a Steam key, and to play in the league!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

No worries. I'll shoot off a mail to Philippe and Kevin. I'll DM you when I see a reply from them.

You're up against MC in the first round of three scenarios each. Your side will be

JasonPratt Allies/Axis/Allies MC Axis/Allies/Axis

Have fun guys. :bd:

Feel free to post pics, AARs, tactical observations and your thoughts about the game. :)

Philthib

Quote from: Tripoli on November 21, 2020, 01:31:12 PM
I concur about the mis-clicks. It is easy to take a slightly incorrect path or to go to a region you didn't want to move to, and the move is unrevokable.  An undo last move button would be very helpful, similar to what is done in Field of Glory II

Well, I noted this already, but the way the engine was coded makes the undo a nightmare to develop. It should have been thought since the beginning, but we had to do with the engine we purchased and adapted to produce this game.

Mea Culpa, I did not care much about undo because of an old wargamer/boardgamer rule "counter touched, counter moved, no undo"  >:(

The trick when I am unsure is to make some 'save' of the phase I am plying, just in case a serious blunder, I can reload. Also, the game has autosave and always allows you to reload it at the start of the previous phase.

Philthib

By the way, it may help you to view those YouTube videos just recently made (and please forgive my French accent  :buck2:)

Part 1 : Every phase till battles

https://youtu.be/YesrsoIh1Cg

Part2  : Combat, and last phases

https://youtu.be/oP9G2jkZo4A

Cheers

Shelldrake

Quote from: Philthib on November 23, 2020, 11:47:26 AM
By the way, it may help you to view those YouTube videos just recently made (and please forgive my French accent  :buck2:)

Part 1 : Every phase till battles

https://youtu.be/YesrsoIh1Cg

Part2  : Combat, and last phases

https://youtu.be/oP9G2jkZo4A

Cheers

Thanks. These are great!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Millipede

Yep, good stuff although I wish that I was the only one that had access to the videos. :-"