Afrika Korps by SGS

Started by Boggit, October 31, 2020, 03:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

Apparently new update is coming next week. Hopefully this will fix the problem (disk write error which does not occur with updates for any other game) in the last update that broke my game. :(
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

88mmkwk

Quote from: Shelldrake on December 19, 2020, 07:22:05 AM
Apparently new update is coming next week. Hopefully this will fix the problem (disk write error which does not occur with updates for any other game) in the last update that broke my game. :(

Dear Lord I hope that the update does not break any of the Tourney in progress games!

On a related note, I see that the second tourney scenario is the full 40+ turn campaign game.  At one turn (both sides) per day, we're looking at a month and a half, and if we do one turn (either side) per day, it will take 80+ days to complete!!!

I would recommend for future tournaments to leave a full campaign game until the final match or even possibly skip it entirely.  Since not everyone can do multiple turns each day, we're realistically looking at Round 1 not completing until late spring.  Any participants with a short attention span or less than full enthusiasm for the game are a risk to fall off the table when facing multiple months of slogging through it....
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Boggit

Quote from: 88mmkwk on December 19, 2020, 02:10:29 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on December 19, 2020, 07:22:05 AM
On a related note, I see that the second tourney scenario is the full 40+ turn campaign game.  At one turn (both sides) per day, we're looking at a month and a half, and if we do one turn (either side) per day, it will take 80+ days to complete!!!

I would recommend for future tournaments to leave a full campaign game until the final match or even possibly skip it entirely.  Since not everyone can do multiple turns each day, we're realistically looking at Round 1 not completing until late spring.  Any participants with a short attention span or less than full enthusiasm for the game are a risk to fall off the table when facing multiple months of slogging through it....
It's a fair point. Where are you all now with your games? If no one is yet involved in this scenario yet, we can swap it with the final El Alamein scenario if that is the general consensus?

Let me know in the thread what you think.  :)

BTW, I am also looking for competitors on the JTS Serbia 1914 team competition if anyone is interested. The thread is here...
http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=25129.0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

I'm fine with swapping out the full campaign with something else. I'm glad we haven't even started ours yet!

Relatedly, I'm only waiting to finish up some other mp games taking up my headspace, and also to see more patches done on the game. I'll kick off our series eventually.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

nelmsm

Anyone else having problems with the email system not working?  Skips right over that step and then we are stuck unable to go forward or back.   >:(

88mmkwk

Quote from: nelmsm on December 31, 2020, 02:31:48 PM
Anyone else having problems with the email system not working?  Skips right over that step and then we are stuck unable to go forward or back.   >:(

I'll agree that the PBEM system is a bit wonky.  Whenever it appears stuck, what I have seen is that it is due to the game not finding the zip file with the latest turn.  Below are some things I gleaned from my first game:

• The in-game Option screen shows the Saves directory.  Think of this as a "root" directory for all saves whether they are PBEM game save files or local vs. computer save files.
  • Whenever a player starts a new game, a save file sub-directory is created automatically.  The directory will be named using the campaign name the Allied player specified at start, followed by a unique identifier in case two matches have the same name.  For example, I named the campaign for game 1 in my PBEM match SGS Tourney Game 1 and the game automatically created a sub-directory under #1 above as SGS Tourney Game 1_3c19f7e9.
  • The game saves all turn files for PBEM games as a single zip file (one per player per turn).  The user does not need to decompress or extract anything from the file - the game does this automatically.
  • When a player completes a turn and sees the green envelope in the top right corner of the game screen, that indicates that a save game zip file has been created.  This is the file that the user needs to attach and send to their opponent via email.
  • The save game zip files follow a naming format. The game names each file using Scenario Name, the campaign name specified by the Allied player at start (see #2 above) and will append to each save file a turn number and an indication of whether the file is for the Allies or Axis to process.  Continuing with my example, the file created after the Allies complete their turn 2 is called Operazione_E_SGS Tourney Game 1_AXIS_Turn2_Start.
  • The zip save file naming scheme can be confusing to keep track of.  Keep in mind that the filename specifies who needs to load the file - NOT whose turn is enclosed in the file! So as an Allied player, the file I needed to send to my opponent each time listed AXIS and not ALLIES in the filename.  The can be confusing!
  • When you receive a zip file from your opponent, you need to put it into the root directory specified in #1 above.  While you will see a sub-directory for your match under the root save directory, do NOT put the file in the sub-directory - it must go in the save game root specified in #1 above.  I found this a bit confusing at first.  But the game apparently looks for save game zip files only in the save file root directory and not the sub-directories for each game.  If you mistakenly put the save game zip file in the sub-directory, the game will not detect it or properly process it.
  • You'll know if the game found a zip save file to process when you follow the above step and then when you open the game, a green envelope will display on the main screen.
  • When you place the zip file your opponent sends you into the save file root directory (#1 above) and the game processes it, the game will automatically decompress the zip file, create a turn sub-directory in your campaign directory (#2 above) to hold the contents of the zip file, and then moves the zip file INTO the campaign sub-directory.  At this point, the zip file is no longer needed.
  • The "moving" of the processed zip file into the campaign sub-directory after it is processed can be turned off in the game Options screen (via "Delete Imported Zip Saves").  Regardless of whether you disable Delete Imported Zip Saves or not, a save game zip file that has been properly processed is indicated by it no longer appearing in the root save directory, the presence of a sub-directory with the same name as the zip file and the appearance of the green envelope on the game main screen.

With the above in mind, a typical PBEM game sequence of events is:

a)  Both players independently specify their Save directory on the game options screen.
b)  Allied player initiates new PBEM match and names the campaign.
c)  Allied player performs their game turn actions.  The Turn End game screen will display a green envelope and the player can get the zip file to attach and email to their opponent.
d)  Axis player gets email from Allied player and saves attached zip file into the Saves directory specified on the Option screen.
e)  Axis player launches the game and notes green envelope on Load Saved Game main menu option.  Player selects to process PBEM game turn.
f)  Axis player completes their turn actions. The Turn End game screen will display a green envelope and the player can get the zip file to attach and email to their opponent.
g)  Allied player gets email from Axis player and saves attached zip file into the Saves directory specified on the Option screen.  Allied player launches the game and notes green envelope on Load Saved Game main menu option.  Player selects to process PBEM game turn.
h) Repeat steps c-g above until game end.

Hope this helps.... There's a pretty cool game between the seams here, but it's a bit rough around the edges.  And don't even get me started on the game manual...  :pullhair:
Gaming Rig:
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD

Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

nelmsm

Well I had a patch download last night and we seem to be back in business so guessing that fixed things.

88mmkwk

Quote from: nelmsm on January 01, 2021, 02:41:16 PM
Well I had a patch download last night and we seem to be back in business so guessing that fixed things.

I went up on Steam and noticed the announcement of the first major game update (copied info from the Steam page pasted below).  It includes a new Operazione E scenario and the old one is renamed after Operation Compass (see bullet 1 under Scenario and Content section below).  Perhaps this would make a good second scenario replacement for the originally planned full 42 turn campaign?

As feared in a discussion above, if you have a current in-progress game underway and the update patch is applied, you are toast and will have to start over.  Not good news for anybody in progress....  :hide:

After a little more than a month from launch, the game has received a warm welcome from players. We have taken note of quite a few remarks and suggestions and are pleased to bring now, just before Xmas, this major update to you.

IMPORTANT:
The improvements and additions below are not compatible with the previous version of SGS Afrika Korps, so can't run saves made in the original version or allow continuation of ongoing PBEM in the older version. Make sure you don't do the update if you wish to play on with an older game.

*** IMPROVEMENTS ***
(UI) Reduced Height of mini map.
(Battle Summary) Added tooltip indicating how units were damaged.
(Air battle) Implemented Air Supremacy: side parameter + associated effect to enable/disable for the specified side.
(Air movement) Added scenario parameter to disable strategic bombing movement for scenarios that don't need it (no economy in AK, so useless here).
(AI) Improved calculation of region's AI interest score.
(AI) Increased mobility of AI-controlled units.
(AI) Reduced chances that an AI-controlled stack retreats on a region whose terrain does not allow supply.
(Aerial AI) Much improved assignation of Air Stacks for Attack and Defense moves.
(Battle): Added a special Panzer phase, when German armoured units are present in clear terrain, they receive an extra and exclusive pre-battle fire phase (representing better tactical mastery).
(Battle) Obstacles units are now destroyed at the end of the main round (will avoid a single barbed wire to delay a whole division in case of bad dice rolls).
(Quick battle) Fixed pursuit phase.
(Units and DB): revised some units values (e.g. 88mm AA guns) or strength (most Brigades have now less hit points, and those are based on a mixed of number of troops and quality of them). Air units have most of their factors revised, to match with new AI and better usage. Some graphics have been changed or improved.
(Localization) Updated Italian localization and added Portuguese localization.
(PBEM) Saves that are not playable by the local player are now greyed for better readability.

*** FIXES ***
(Mouse cursors) Fixed some mouse cursors that appeared scrambled on some systems.
(UI) Fixed mini map overlapping with phase windows.
(UI) Fixed issue where opening Structure info window would block the rest of the UI without allowing to close this windows.
(Summary phase) Fixed bug where regions won would keep green stripes on subsequent phases.
(Cards) Fixed bug where the move range of a stack was not immediately updated after playing a card that changes it.
(Cards) Fixed game freeze due to cards being simultaneously deactivated and drawn.
(Cards) Fixed bug in card play conditions that resulted in some cards never being playable.
(Cards) Fixed the 'Nuke' effect on the Massive Air Raid Commonwealth card.
(Aerial interception) Fixed issue that resulted in a very low probability of aerial interception/discovery test success.
(Aerial interception) Fixed issue where an interception stack was incorrectly supposed to have radars.
(Air combat) Fixed bug where air combat modifiers were not removed from units after battles.
(Camouflage) Fixed bug where structure units where not taken into account when deciding what happens if a an enemy unit removes its camouflage and no allied stack is in the region itself.
(Movement) Fixed issue where regions were incorrectly inaccessible through automated movement (right-click on stack).
(Auto Move Mode) Fixed bug that missed a part of Regions accessible to the selected stack.
(Auto Move Mode) Fixed bug that allowed to perform auto-move while still playing cards in the movement phase.
(Battle) Fixed freeze while units are shooting (often happening with Elite units).
(Battle) Fixed bug affecting all SGS Games where the first battle dice was always 0.
(Retreat) Fixed bug where land and air units could be merged in a single stack, causing the destruction of air units because they cannot retreat with the others.
(Retreat) Fixed bug that could cause retreating units to be destroyed although they had valid retreat destinations.
(Retreat) Defender cannot retreat through enemy lines anymore (e.g. retreat in or behind a region from which attackers came).
(Localization) Added missing localization in unit tooltips.
(PBEM) Fixed a bug that prevented the "Send save" button to be displayed at the end of the turn, the game would continue as if normal and not PBEM.

*** SCENARIOS AND CONTENT ***
The main focus in scenario content was brought to the 1941 and 1942 Grand Campaigns, although all the above new code and database changes also apply in all (other) scenarios.
(Scenarios) Added a new Operazione E scenario starting with the Italian Offensive in September 1940. The former scenario of same name starting in November 1940 is now renamed Compass (from the British operation name)
(Map) Added quite a few extra sea regions (will help AI and also prevent using short-circuit travel over seas). Added the famous Halfaya Pass east of Sollum. Improved visual distinction between roads and trails.
(OOB) Added new units (e.g. Desert forts, some Italian artillery, more AA units, USAAF units in 1942)
(Events) Added weather events to cover the extreme heat situation in the Summer months of July and August (with extra losses in deep desert)
(Events) Added Supply Disruption events against Axis to better represent the key role of Malta (will immobilize units on the Axis side, will give more Malta-related cards to the Allies). In the same spirit, more LRDG cards are regularly drawn by the Allies.
(Events) Added Offensive Halted events, where in exchange of severe limitations in movement your side receive a larger influx of replacements.
(Events) Added more historical events, such as extra defense to Tobruk, the Axis recapture of key Cyrenaica locations, or the Pedestal Operation. Fixed some of the already existing events, with a more historically-realistic timing.
(Cards) Convoys for the Allies, more defensive cards, various improvements and fixes. Cards offering advantages in land battle now usually require a minimum of 3 lands units to be involved to be playable.
(AI) Improved Strategic AI for the campaigns, in particular helping it with better relocation of air forces. Major work effort from our main Historical Advisor and Playtester, Lodilefty.
(Game Balance) Added more events for a better flow of replacements, and extra free draw of useful cards (repairs, new units, rest, etc...). Added also events that will reconstruct over time some useful units lost in combat (mostly Armor units) to avoid unbalancing the campaign.
Gaming Rig:

Boggit

Hopefully things are beginning to sort themselves out now. Unfortunately, Philippe lost his Dad just before Christmas and that has really impacted on him, although I understand he is active again on any outstanding issues.

I'll also put in a plug for the Serbia '14 team competition that I want to get started soon. JTS has agreed to provide copies of the game and I thought a team approach with players acting as Division/Corps Commanders will be a fun way to run this.

I have also had a conversation with Paolo at Slitherine and they are willing to sponsor a Field of Glory Medieval competition to start on 4th Feb when the game is released.

With both Serbia '14 and FOG Medieval, I need to know numbers ASAP so that I can arrange copies for the players. I haven't yet discussed prizes, but I don't suppose that is likely a big issue. Main thing is to get the names fro the competition and let JTS and Slitherine know so we are all set up and ready to go.

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Given the updates creating problems for some in mid game how do you wish for the competition to continue?

Millipede and Shelldrake have had to drop out because of the problems they've had, but Nelmsm has told me that things appear to be fixed now. We could go to the quarter finals and put the first round of games down to experience if you wish?

Please let me know what your views are, and perhaps we can get this back on track.

:)

Boggit

Just to confirm

88mmKwK has won round one against Demyansk42, due to the deemed resignation of Demyansk.

Shelldrake and Millipede have resigned due to problems with their game functioning as expected.

I await confirmation of progress between Nelmsm and Jason Pratt. The winner will go direct to the final round against 88mmKwK.

Good Luck! The sponsor, Avalon Digital has promised a free choice of game from their list to the winner.  O0

BTW, don't forget that the sponsored Field of Glory Medieval competition is recruiting and that the Serbia '14 competition is about to start. Good luck all! :bd:

Tripoli

Quote from: Boggit on January 19, 2021, 10:41:16 AM
Just to confirm

88mmKwK has won round one against Demyansk42, due to the deemed resignation of Demyansk.

Shelldrake and Millipede have resigned due to problems with their game functioning as expected.

I await confirmation of progress between Nelmsm and Jason Pratt. The winner will go direct to the final round against 88mmKwK.

Good Luck! The sponsor, Avalon Digital has promised a free choice of game from their list to the winner.  O0

BTW, don't forget that the sponsored Field of Glory Medieval competition is recruiting and that the Serbia '14 competition is about to start. Good luck all! :bd:

Minor correction: the competition is between Nelmsm and Tripoli.  I understand how you get Jason and I confused.  Just remember: Between the two of us, I'm the better looking one.  :D

I won one game and Nelmsm and I are heavily engaged in the second match.  His panzers are approaching Bengazhi as we speak.....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Boggit

Quote from: Tripoli on January 19, 2021, 10:58:31 AM
Quote from: Boggit on January 19, 2021, 10:41:16 AM
Just to confirm

Minor correction: the competition is between Nelmsm and Tripoli.  I understand how you get Jason and I confused.  Just remember: Between the two of us, I'm the better looking one.  :D

I won one game and Nelmsm and I are heavily engaged in the second match.  His panzers are approaching Bengazhi as we speak.....
LOL! :2funny:

My bad. I forgot Jason is playing against MC :-[

That being the case, looks like we go direct to the semi finals rather than the finals on completion.

Sounds like you're making good progress. I do hope you're having fun with this. :)

JasonPratt

Update: I've been holding off starting my competition with MC for various reasons, among them being that I did not trust that the bug polishing would facilitate tournament play. (Not the only reason, but the only game-related reason. ;) )

Consequently, it might be better for the rest of you to go on without us, or at least without me if I may cede the first game to MC by fiat.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 26, 2021, 01:06:04 PM
Update: I've been holding off starting my competition with MC for various reasons, among them being that I did not trust that the bug polishing would facilitate tournament play. (Not the only reason, but the only game-related reason. ;) )

Consequently, it might be better for the rest of you to go on without us, or at least without me if I may cede the first game to MC by fiat.  O:-)
No worries. MC to play 88mm in round two.

@Jason - Don't forget the FoG2 Medieval League competition. We need more players to sign up. <:-)