Feedback on Review of Picket Duty

Started by bayonetbrant, August 03, 2014, 10:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I think my tone indicated I hated the game, and that's hopefully not the way it's coming across. I was just disappointed. I hardly ever buy games for myself, much less full price ones that are nearly $70, so for me it was a bit of a disappointment. Not that I'd NOT ever go back to play it again - on the contrary.

Staggerwing

I feel after reading your review that you emphasized many of the game's attributes as you saw them, in addition to your disappointment at it's narrow focus. I think someone who does not already have a preconceived notion of Picket Duty's gameplay will still find many points of interest in it but with foreknowledge of the game's actual scope thanks to your review.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Boggit

I thought you wrote a fair, interesting and intelligent review. 8) You said what you liked about the game, and what you didn't.

That you felt some disappointment... that's fine - you said why. I've been there with some games too. What is difficult is when you personally dislike a game, but realise that some people might just love it for the reasons you don't - it can be hard to find the right words to convey that without saying (worst case) that the game is a stinker, and still remain true to your own opinion. I think you found a fair balance.

Good review. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

There are also some comments directly on the main page for the game.

http://grogheads.com/?p=5686#comment-6569