[closed]Dom 4 Christmas 2016 !

Started by Yskonyn, December 03, 2016, 01:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Last update: FEB 22 2017

Due to the difficulties with the AI nations this game has ended.

Host:PBEM Llamaserver. All_Hail_Grogdom
Map: Cradle of Dominion (stock map) (199 land + 22 sea, random start locations)
How Often on Turns: start with 24h interval. Adjust as needed.
Number of Players: the more the merrier! (5 confirmed)
Mods: None (Worthy Heroes might be fun though; it offers a large set of more useful heroes)

Non-Standard Settings: Hall of Fame entries 15, Renaming is allowed, Graphs ON as this is co-op.
Victory Conditions: Disciple team win, players against AI, do we want a last man standing or shall we play with Victory Points (for ex. 2/3rd of the VPs needed of claimed Thrones?)
Diplomacy Policy: I recommend using email to engage in diplomacy. The in-game messaging system does not keep a logfile, so after a message has been read in-game it will be gone forever. Trades should be fulfilled. No further house rules as this is a co-op game.
Cheesy Tricks: New players won't know them and won't be ready for them. This is things like sending 50 bad items to someone right as they put up forge of the ancients to make them waste gems; using scouts to constantly siege someone's fortress; and there are probably a few others I historically read about but have since forgotten. (just noted for good measure)

NATIONS - (We can roll for random nations, let the game decide or pick one. Please post!)
Yskonyn (admin): Man
JasonPratt (admin): Caelum
jamus34: Jutunheim
Beowulf: Vanheim
Mkivcs: Ulm
Nefaro: Pangaea (went AI)

Note1: The hosting time limits are slightly indicative, but we are pressed to make them whenever possible. In other words; if you can't make the turn limit, be sure to post in this thread to let me know in advance so I can extend the time in the llamaserver, otherwise Llamaserver will push the next turn and you will not have given any orders.
Better yet is sending me an email, which you have gotten in a PM.
I have an irregular working schedule with stops abroad sometimes, so I might put in the odd request for a few more hours/days as well. I hope we can all be flexible about this. If not, then please say so up front, this game might not be suited for you.

Note2:Stay fair, people. If you cannot swallow a defeat, then you will be a newbie forever. In spirit of my previous sentence, please do not go AI after a single major battle lost

Note3: Remember to keep an eye on the turn interval. I will update changes in interval in this thread.
Be sure to report EARLY if you will not be able to send in a turn in time.
WE CANNOT USE THE ROLLBACK FEATURE! Due to possible savegame corruption.
(Thanks to 3V4JKZ2 for the above format  )

Note 4:
I want to put a very good project into the spotlight made by a player called momfreak.
Mod Inspector to read up to date unit and magic data from the game files. Very handy!

This webpage enables you to select some mods that you will be using for the game and then display accurate information about all the spells and items in the game.
You can also view the stock vanilla game data with this webpage.
Super handy as reference.

Note 5: When the game is setup you will all need to send your pretender to Llamaserver.
You can send your pretender file as an attachment to: (Put in the name of the game in the title, leave the body empty)

pretenders@llamaserver.net

You can find your pretender file in your Dominions 3\savegames\newlords folder.
it has a file format <era>_<nation>_0.2h

It will overwrite and old pretenders for the same era/nation.

After all the pretenders have been sent in the game can be kicked off and you will receive your turns in the mail.
Just send your turn back to turns@llamaserver.net (probably just reply to sender)

Only send in the .2h file. The .trn file is only sent by Llama to YOU.

For a FAQ on Llamaserver go here: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160

Open items:
5 Pretenders are in, waiting for one more!

Cheers!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

I picked up Dom 4 during a sale some time back, at Gamersgate, but haven't installed it yet. I will always feel bad about us western clowns deciding to abandon the previous forum game (of Dom3) while the eastern players were still having fun doing their things; for which I share partial responsibility as one of the admins.  :-[ :'(

(Note that this is not to be confused with the other game we ran concurrently with fewer players where in my last dozen turns I summoned King Ghidora and ran him in raids all over my lizardman neighbor to the west. I think that game went to the full end.  O0 )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

Well only three of us isnt really fun.
Who's interested as well, people? Show yourselves!!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Beowulf

I'd be in, if you don't mind a total noob playing. I think I finished 2 games in SP, and that is my whole experience in Dom 4.

Yskonyn

Not a problem at all! You're welcome to hop in!

We could consider going up against AI or even make it a coop game with the Thrones. What do you guys think?

JasonPratt

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 12, 2016, 03:18:23 AM
Not a problem at all! You're welcome to hop in!

We could consider going up against AI or even make it a coop game with the Thrones. What do you guys think?

I don't know what the "Thrones" means, but a co-op game against AI teams sounds fun.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Beowulf

Could be a good starter game, so sure, I'm all for it.

jamus34

I'm still in, just note I'm hard capped to only posting turns in the PM
Insert witty comment here.

mkivcs

As another of the western powers who regrets stopping please count me in as well, just need a smaller map this time. I was unsure about this but just noticed that Dominions 4 is currently dirt cheap on Gamersgate (£4.05) I'll post it in the sale section of the main site and see if anyone else is interested.

JasonPratt

I don't even know that we need a smaller map. Although on the question of teams, does Dom4 do teams now? -- can the AI players be grouped into teams (or ally themselves)? Even if teams aren't a thing formally, we can all agree to work with each other, allowing for the occasional widespread effect which may not be conducive to everyone.

Yskonyn

I meant Disciple mode. That was players can team up. I am not sure wether the AI handles Disciple mode though. And I am fairly sure the AI nations cannot be put into an artificial group like you see often with skirmish matches in RTS games.
Alternatively human players can just agree upon alliances like always. Again, in this form every AI is free for all.

I'll see wether Disciple mode can be leveraged to create AI teams though.

And whats the verdict on mods? Perhaps WorthyHeroes is nice, but I cant see any other must haves.

JasonPratt

I have no opinions.

....... I have lots of opinions. Jusssst not on this topic.  :nerd:

Yskonyn

I have tested and good news!

Human players as well as AI can be put into teams;every player runs his own nation, but the teams have one nation with a Pretender God and all other nations in that team are Disciples.
I am not really sure about what this means, but the technical possibility to divide all participating rules into teams/alliances enforced by the game instead of diplomacy is definately there!  O0

mkivcs

At this stage I really don't know enough to have any opinions on mods so happy to go with the flow on this. Good news about the team situation. Disappointing that the bargain price hasn't gained any more takers.