The Book of Boba Fett

Started by Jarhead0331, November 01, 2021, 10:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 15, 2022, 01:19:30 AM
QuoteWe kinda missed that story, I suppose it might come with a little bit of flashback at some point. Another pet peeve of mine is long winded flashbacks that really just seem to me to be stall tactics.... I like to move forwards and have the characters describe the past rather than flashing back to it. Flashbacks always seem cheap and easy to me, while stealing opportunities for interaction between characters

wtf!  the first few episodes were nothing but backstory and flashback.  how do you complain about a lack of flashback and story backround and then compain about long winded flashbacks?  :2funny:
I think a problem with some people is that they expected more Mandiloran and not an evolving character study.

Because the story we missed should be related verbally by the characters rather than looking inside a characters head and literally playing his or her no doubt faulty memories as film flashbacks. The original movies never relied on flashbacks. It was all Old Ben talking about the clone wars or Darth telling luke he was his father. If those movies were made today they would flick back and waste 10 minutes robbing your imagination and investigative skills by literally spoon feeding you the whole experience as a flashback.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^ I would absolutely watch that.

Totally disagree on the whole flashback thing. Just having a description from a character droning on is, to me, lazy storytelling.

One of the prime directives of writing is 'show me don't tell me' and I absolutely prefer to set a scene to a character just relaying the story in dialogue.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

They're both valid techniques that can be employed well or employed lazily, think how many memorable flashbacks and stories there were in The Sopranos if you've seen that.  They never showed the Feech La Mana poker heist but it's one of the more memorable and plot-relevant backstory elements.  On the other hand the flashbacks with Tony's young dad are equally excellent.  "Show don't tell" is a good rule of thumb and all but I get Dest's criticism because I feel flashbacks are overused and overly relied upon in modern big-budget movies (or the ones I've seen anyway) when the imagination is just as evocative as a cool flashback.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^The Sopranos was a master class in almost all kind of writing.

I personally enjoy relying on imagination and I think a lot of peeps around here do, but I do enjoy a good flashback in books, tv, movies, etc. too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I just think script writing and verbally relating a story on screen is a sort of lost art. Especially because people in real life, even actors, often just seem clueless without the aid of a phone or the internet to "show" instead. I enjoy getting to know characters. The deep and meaningful on screen convo is a great way of relating to the character. To me the flashback is much easier to do and because its more of the same (visual plus visual) it does not break things up and seems boring to me. Makes me anxious to get back to the movie as I always feel that flashbacks take me off on an unwelcome tangent. Yes flashbacks can be done well, but not usually.

My point is. Dialogue on screen is usually so simplistic and boring in the big franchises these days. I will take anything to stimulate me, more of the same does not do that for me. It just makes me feel like I am reading a comic book where everything must be done visually.

Gusington

^ I agree with you on the dialogue...especially in the middle three Star Wars movies. Some of the worst.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

How did the middle three star wars movies fail to communicate and get any message across and what are you comparing it to?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on January 17, 2022, 08:16:16 PM
How did the middle three star wars movies fail to communicate and get any message across and what are you comparing it to?

I think he means the middle three as in the middle three released, not in order sequence. So I, II and III. The dialogue was terrible...particularly anything involving the pre-Vader Anakin Skywalker. Just absolute garbage across the board. It's crap compared to pretty much anything, even Howard the Duck and Back to the Beach.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Absolutely. Not that people go to any of the Star Wars movies for Shakepearean dialogue, but Episodes I, II and III were a new level of horror.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

thankfully The Clone Wars series did a lot to rectify the franchise.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Destraex

Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2022, 08:52:40 PM
Absolutely. Not that people go to any of the Star Wars movies for Shakepearean dialogue, but Episodes I, II and III were a new level of horror.

Well then. I agree. Add to that the flashbacks in episode 1,2,3.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

We've probably covered this already here but for me a nearly perfectly done series is any of the, "Narcos" series off Netflix. It's got everything going against it, all in Spanish so you have to read the dialog at the bottom of the screen, and the dialog goes really fast, and you're not always sure who's talking which part. And while you're reading the dialog, you can miss what's happening on the show, especially a nice boob-shot or two. But the show makes-up for it with great story, action when you need it, believable characters, plot twists and great acting. I hardly notice that it's in a foreign language. And I hate foreign language shows. It is compelling to watch despite being in a foreign tongue. My 2 cents.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I really have to start watching Clone Wars and Bad Batch.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd