Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles

Started by The_Admiral, October 11, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Admiral

Then you'll certainly be happy with the utter violence included in our latest Christmas update, kind Sir  :peace:

This way please gentlemen >  https://steamcommunity.com/games/1281220/announcements/detail/2931245981688855530

Besides, allow us to use this opportunity to wish a very fine Holiday season to all of you Grogheads. Take good care of yourself and of your loved ones. Cheers!

JasonPratt

As impressive as the landings were (in a strategy game no less), I was kind of distracted by how nice the scenery looks -- the clouds and distant mountains and waves.  :smitten:

(For some reason, the horizon scenery reminded me of the "Distant Mountains" storytelling trope, where the author casually drops in details hinting at other stories going on elsewhere.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

The_Admiral

No way I am afraid Toonces, but it's always nice to know that at least someone expects us - someone with an acquired taste, no less  :coolsmiley:

Jason, if you like them horizons, the last posts from Saturday are for you! Pretty happy with the sort of feeling the vegetation gives on the crests of the hill at ground level.  :cowboy:

A few twitter updates over the last weeks. I'll post the links directly, and then the pics below. Gotta click on the link if you want the description I am afraid :)

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1341415016910622722

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1345376047412334592

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1347904063266963459

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Makes me want to hop a plane to Tahiti. Then hop a Zero in a Wildcat.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

How will this compare to war on the sea by killerfish which came out today?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

The_Admiral

Well, making my own game now precludes me from having a player's perspective that might sound fair & balanced, so better not walk down that path.

But let's just say that I am happy to acknowledge that the two projects are taking very different paths in terms of contents & gameplay despite the common setting, and that this game hasn't made our own irrelevant one bit.

Now as a player still I am a bit disappointed by some of the design choices, be them too radical or not enough, but it's his game and c'est la vie. Back to work now - and not to the drawing board, which in itself is quite the luxury  ;)

Cheers

Toonces

From what I can see (and this is based entirely on gameplay videos and not actual experience), one of the big things that is not in WotS, but I "think" is a major feature of TF:A is flight deck management.

In WotS what I'm seeing so far is that you buy your planes, and then just launch your strike.  In TF:A, I think a lot of the tension is compiling your strike package while simultaneously managing your CAPs and cycling aircraft through the flight deck.  It's that tension of when to bring planes on board vs. keeping aloft a bit longer at the risk of losing them, or deciding to shoot a partial strike or wait until you can get a complete coordinated package together, that make the carrier battles so interesting.  I don't think this is present in WotS.

I'm sure there are many other aspects.  I get the sense that TF:A is a more granular carrier experience.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

The_Admiral

Well that's one thing for sure, but WotS didn't claim being much into carrier ops anyway, so I can't blame the game for that. But more generally, we simply do not have the same design approach nor the same idea of the topic and what needs to be done to recreate an authentic experience. All carrier-focused we may be, still I will not release a game about naval combat in 1942 without searchlights and smoke screens and call it fine. Fine it might be for many others - just not for me.  ;)

The_Admiral

Quote from: Toonces on February 03, 2021, 12:33:15 PM
You guys have gotta hustle up, Admiral.

And quite the contrary though, what we have there today is also the confirmation that nobody does what we plan to do, and that releasing with issues too early is never as good as releasing later with none. So, we'll keep taking your time I am afraid  8)

Destraex

Admiral, I am liking what I hear.
It sounds like I will be much more interested in your game.
Have you got a broad ballpark timeline for beta? Will it release with star citizen in 5 years or so?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

I was reading the Steam forums re: WotS and TF:A came up a LOT in various discussions.  I'm really looking forward to this game, man.

The_Admiral

Thanks boys  :peace:

QuoteHave you got a broad ballpark timeline for beta? Will it release with star citizen in 5 years or so?
Nah, as ballpark as one can get, ain't 5 years or I will be financially bankrupted by then  :buck2: ^-^

QuoteI was reading the Steam forums re: WotS and TF:A came up a LOT in various discussions.
Ah really is that so? Hasn't checked much.

Hope they're saying good stuff. Don't hesitate to feed some some nice screens or videos if need be :coolsmiley:  :smitten: