[Dominions 6] Grogspocalypse: The Return! (FINISHED)

Started by al_infierno, January 18, 2024, 04:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMeInTeam

I would prefer not to redo 2 turns if possible.  Another issue is now I've seen tons of information about Agartha I didn't have before (exact bless, was told the research, had a fight vs them)...it would be scuffed to undo the turn move orders and have both sides get troops back.

My vote is to just keep going with this game so al_infierno and I can fight it out/practice fighting/scripting in Dom 6 context and start the next MA game concurrently.  More action, and it prevents dead players/those waiting to join from waiting further.

al_infierno

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on February 29, 2024, 04:05:42 PMI would prefer not to redo 2 turns if possible.  Another issue is now I've seen tons of information about Agartha I didn't have before (exact bless, was told the research, had a fight vs them)...it would be scuffed to undo the turn move orders and have both sides get troops back.

My vote is to just keep going with this game so al_infierno and I can fight it out/practice fighting/scripting in Dom 6 context and start the next MA game concurrently.  More action, and it prevents dead players/those waiting to join from waiting further.

I like the idea of going ahead and starting a new MA game while you and I play out the EA game.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on February 29, 2024, 03:12:38 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on February 29, 2024, 03:06:38 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on February 29, 2024, 10:34:13 AM
Quote from: Tanaka on February 29, 2024, 01:35:12 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on February 29, 2024, 01:00:26 AMIt was strangely difficult to find someone to sub in for a fairly strong position late-game contender.  Oh well.

I made the executive decision to replace Agartha with AI.  May god have mercy on their pretender's soul.

Um you could have asked me. I would have subbed. Lol

Is it possible to change it back to a player?

Shit I thought I did ask you.  :hair:

I thought I read somewhere you can switch back to a player...

I'll check when I get home from work, but the popup in game said it's irreversible. I believe we would have to roll back to the previous turn.

Maybe from the administrator menu?

Tanaka

Game has been won congrats to Mekone! Now lets get the new one started so he can win again!  :notworthy:

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

GG all!

I was tempted to pick a water nation next just to not get piled, but hopefully I can at least avoid perma-war after turn 13 with Bandar Log!

Tanaka

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on March 05, 2024, 10:23:10 PMGG all!

I was tempted to pick a water nation next just to not get piled, but hopefully I can at least avoid perma-war after turn 13 with Bandar Log!

No water nations and pop kill nations please! Hard enough to beat you!

TheMeInTeam

Thing about water nations is that they're hard to beat, but most of them are also hard to win with.

Popkill is annoying, but aside from Lemuria (which gets reasonable tech and ethereal freespawn) IMO it's hard to make a case that any of them are unusually scary compared to other nations.  It isn't just that their winrate stats aren't special, even looking at them from a lens of "what can this nation do at turn 15, 30, 45, 60" framework they don't stand out. 

MA Ermor for example has dogwater tech, is extremely vulnerable to magic duel if it somehow does get tech (blocking most useful magic it might otherwise cast in battle with national mages), and is thus relegated to trying to win using hell blessed sacreds.  Hell blessed sacreds are scary on turn 12, but not so much at turn 50 where mass regen relief prot buff troops can hack through arbitrarily large numbers of skeletons and heal off blood vengeance damage.  The only real reason Ermor is a pain is just that they're not worth conquering, but that's not a ringing endorsement for a nation.  It's also hard to convince players to believe it.  I got fearmongered like crazy for rushing Siekster's Lemuria in the LA game, taking a severe diplo tax for maybe 5000 population and a bunch of death gems/turn, just because I had a lot of flags...flags which did not come cheaply.

If someone picks Sceleria, then by all means get them off the board ASAP.  That's a non-popkill that has many times the skeletons of Ermor *and* magic it can use behind them, including fog warriors and mass flight.  Nazca and every MA blood nation outscale MA Ermor too.  I get that being the person a popkill attacks feels bad though.  You can only make them lose, you don't really win by taking their stuff.  But if you convince a somewhat decent player they can't make headway, they *should* look elsewhere.  Otherwise, players throwing to coalition a popkill is *great*, as long as you're not one of those involved.

Tanaka

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on March 06, 2024, 03:04:34 PMThing about water nations is that they're hard to beat, but most of them are also hard to win with.

Popkill is annoying, but aside from Lemuria (which gets reasonable tech and ethereal freespawn) IMO it's hard to make a case that any of them are unusually scary compared to other nations.  It isn't just that their winrate stats aren't special, even looking at them from a lens of "what can this nation do at turn 15, 30, 45, 60" framework they don't stand out. 

MA Ermor for example has dogwater tech, is extremely vulnerable to magic duel if it somehow does get tech (blocking most useful magic it might otherwise cast in battle with national mages), and is thus relegated to trying to win using hell blessed sacreds.  Hell blessed sacreds are scary on turn 12, but not so much at turn 50 where mass regen relief prot buff troops can hack through arbitrarily large numbers of skeletons and heal off blood vengeance damage.  The only real reason Ermor is a pain is just that they're not worth conquering, but that's not a ringing endorsement for a nation.  It's also hard to convince players to believe it.  I got fearmongered like crazy for rushing Siekster's Lemuria in the LA game, taking a severe diplo tax for maybe 5000 population and a bunch of death gems/turn, just because I had a lot of flags...flags which did not come cheaply.

If someone picks Sceleria, then by all means get them off the board ASAP.  That's a non-popkill that has many times the skeletons of Ermor *and* magic it can use behind them, including fog warriors and mass flight.  Nazca and every MA blood nation outscale MA Ermor too.  I get that being the person a popkill attacks feels bad though.  You can only make them lose, you don't really win by taking their stuff.  But if you convince a somewhat decent player they can't make headway, they *should* look elsewhere.  Otherwise, players throwing to coalition a popkill is *great*, as long as you're not one of those involved.

My solution which I wish they would implement with the new terraforming mechanic is allow undead wastelands to grow back with growth. As it is now you can terraform everything except for wastelands. I think this would be very fun and refreshing and give people a reason to allow pop kill nations in MP games as there would be a mechanic to reverse 0 pop provinces and grow them back with growth scales...

TheMeInTeam

There's a mod that adds pop back if you clear out a popkill called rebirth.  We can try that out at some point, but nobody seems to want popkill in this one anyway.  Asphodel got a bunch of updates just now, but they only protect 1000 pop in forts so they're still pretty much popkill too.