Main Menu

Matrix Sale

Started by Geezer, May 10, 2022, 06:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

88mmkwk

And not to be outdone, GOG concurrently has an 80% off sale on their Matrix Games offerings.  6 days left (ends May 16)....

https://www.gog.com/promo/20220510_slitherine
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Gusington

That's my cue to ask again (because I can't remember what the consensus here was) if Aggressors: Ancient Rome, the new rendition of Fantasy General and Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy are all worth purchasing...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Shameless hussys; waving that 30% coupon and making me buy the new Decisive Campaigns offering.  Shame, Matrix, shame!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

88mmkwk

Quote from: Gusington on May 10, 2022, 05:37:38 PM
That's my cue to ask again (because I can't remember what the consensus here was) if Aggressors: Ancient Rome, the new rendition of Fantasy General and Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy are all worth purchasing...

Gus -

The GOG sale has A:AR for $5.99.  So for the mere price of one gallon of dinosaur juice, you can fantasize of conquering the world without having to take office in the Kremlin!   :peace:
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Aggro (in my experience) is worth playing, if you keep its limitations and focuses in mind. Although the new successor (pun intended) Imperiums is a more polished version of the same engine (and no longer distributed by Matrix/litherine, iirc?)

Its map is kind of small for such games, but you do get the option for self-designed maps (not a lot of workshop maps unfortunately), and randomly generated ones.

The UI is a little rough and fiddly. The unit scaling doesn't make much sense. (Mines are essentially undevelopable cities with easily 5000 people; but don't worry, because your scout groups also have thousands of people!)

It has some depth of development, arguably more than FoGEmp though nowhere near as much as Imperia or whatever the recent Paradox Rome game was called (released at about the same time). Unlike either of those two games, hex-terrain modification is a key gameplay component. All three games have an important supply mechanic, too, but Aggro's supply is easier to understand and manipulate. (But also a lot more unforgiving if you stress it.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^Bought it last night. Then I thought with Old World coming out (NEXT WEEK) I may have done Aggressors a disservice :/

I have read that it is simple to get into and there are a lot of interesting factions to play as, so that has me thinking I will give it solid try and put some hours in, despite the Old World elephant lurking in the room.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

With the map being smaller, I'd say there are fewer interesting factions than either Imperia (or whatever the Paradox game is called), or FoGEmp (especially with its Persian DLC).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

devoncop

I would be a bit more positive about it than Jason tbh and reviews generally are much better than for Imperator Rome the Paradox mess.

There is actually a lot more nuance in the game than may initially seem to be the case and the diplomatic game in particular is very very good with lots of options and the AI is rational and capable in my experience. Terrain is very important and economic warfare by raiding is a very effective tactic.

I do agree the art style takes a bit of getting used to but if you can live with it there is a very decent game in there and the expansion improves things further.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

^Imperator Rome is the game I always confused this one with. I would say for 5.99 it was a no-brainer...even with Old World incoming.

What's the expansion? I didn't see mention of a DLC.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 11, 2022, 10:27:12 AM
^Imperator Rome is the game I always confused this one with. I would say for 5.99 it was a no-brainer...even with Old World incoming.

What's the expansion? I didn't see mention of a DLC.

The expansion (though a stand alone game in its own right) is Imperiums Greek Wars...available on Steam.

I think if I remember rightly you like the Greek Wars and Imperiums really models that well with an emerging threat from the Persians...

By the way, imperiums Greek Wars has its own expansion called "Age of Alexander" dealing with the later period in the area.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

JasonPratt

Iirc, the Persians are kind-of on the main map for Aggressors, too, but not so much.

(Ah, right, Imperator! -- I can never remember that title correctly. Haven't played it enough I guess.)

Not only is terrain more important in Aggros (and Impys) than its competitors, but as noted terraforming (sort of) is also super-important: you're meant to go out and work on those hexes to your benefit, with specialized units for that purpose. (Relatedly, Agrro/Impy is a proper hex-board game system, which the other two definitely aren't.)

Gusington

Aggressors sounds like the better purchase, for me.

I own Imperium: Greek Wars and all of its DLC! And will finally be diving into it very soon, especially the Alexander campaign.

Also looking forward to the Rome & Carthage DLC for Imperium...which will probably make Aggressors obsolete at some point :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd