No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flywheel

I was initially put off by all the negative reviews I read on Steam. I was going to see how comments here compared and it's done nothing to change my mind, so giving that a miss, for now at least - anyway, got my bank balance back to over one million in Elite Dangerous, so I'm happy enough with that :)
Hold my beer and watch this!

MikeGER

No Man's Sky 
the way it was meant to be played by the (lead)developer and how the experience get flattened when you pick one of the other more glued on professions.

I came to the conclusion that the developers thought that the player has to be a space nomad with an insatiable almost pathological urge to move on!
so a single solar system get only mildly grazed to collect what is barely necessary to move on in a real hurry. A single planet get visited only once! to collect the necessary resources, 1 to 3 question marks icons get investigated max, and its has to be on foot/jetpack from the first landing side. (otherwise the wild life get not spawned! and you better have to be away from the spaceship a 2-5 min walk. i never 'spot them from a plane' like it was done in Africa in the Serengeti) and if you happenstance to see new wildlife get a quick snapshot but double dare to think about to become a naturalist... the ship is waiting! the time is ticking! you got to move!   

if played the nomad in a hurry way, they player is not so much slapped in the face by the fact that the whole planet is just one biotope, and that the planet is practical littered with it seams unlimited random, generated outposts, monoliths, ruins, you name it (wouldn't there be that Atlas V1 V2 V3 Pass thingee mechanic . you could play out the mayor part of the game in one single solar system)

Unfortunately (for yours truly) to counter that nomad approach, someone on the team had the brilliant idea to hand out that high completion bonuses for a planet, and to do the Alexander von Humboldt-Approach and collect a full set of nice rewarding Nature Samples.
16h ingame I am still searching high and low on my first two planets (the 3rd is empty of fauna-Thank God) and i just don't f*%#in get them: But now already speak 50 words of the new language, have a dozen ore more blueprints, recipes, and sold a shitload of 'gems' in the space station already

parallel to that i thought i become a miner and refiner also, harvested resources, construct expensive items and sell them.
This pass also leads to more and more visits.... and so (unwanted) discoveries.
(I want a to buy decent ship with storage space before i move out of 'the nest' into the void)

I didn't tested the criminal/pirat approach so.     

IMHO I think instead of the high completion bonus there should have been instead  a mechanic that forces the player to move, and move as fast as possible or take some well calculated risks if not (like in FTL).
Would have been so easy to implement that if you stay longer on a planet or visit it more often the sentinel get upset more and more and in force even by your simple present. And also if you hang around in a solar system to long, pirates or even military will show up  (of course there should be warning messages and or a general 'threat meter', that will go back to zero when you jump out)

If you are new to the game or in you early gameplay its probably more enjoyable for you if you:
- don't try to get the planet bonus
- don't visit a planet "twice"
- explore 'mostly' on foot and 'far'
   (and don't try to 'harvest' all planets questionmark spots  - they seam to be unlimited generated,
   you will not miss anything out, it will be randomly spawned on the next solar systems planets also)

...in general try to imagine (immersion wise) that you are on the run

vyshka

One of the most entertaining points in the game so far for me was when I decided against going back to the ship and figured there would be a base up ahead with a recall beacon. Took me two hours to find one, and I was being chased by bugs that wanted me for dinner. Pretty planet though.

ArizonaTank

I'm 9 hours in.  And while I like the game, and it is kind of fun to explore...I can see me burning out in another 10 hours or so.  As someone else noted...it does feel like an "early access" game.  And there are some early access games that definitely rival it. 

If you are on the fence, I would recommend you wait for the inevitable sale in six months.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Rayfer

Wow hof....a pretty damning video. I don't own the game so I can't comment. I went with the poor man's NMS....Empyrion: Galactic Survival on sale this week on Steam for $9.99.  Just started playing so I can't comment in detail whether it's any good or not.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Hofstadter on August 20, 2016, 01:30:22 AM

So, assuming these guys just don't take the money and run...basically an "early release" at the "full release price", with a few lies thrown in to keep it spicy. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on August 23, 2016, 08:54:48 AM

For those who haven't watched the review yet, a quick summary would be: he found the first 10 to 12 hours super-awesome-amazing, and then got disappointed about how shallow things were.

From that perspective, you could consider the game to be a typical AAA game with an unsatisfying conclusion.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

A really, really, really unsatisfying actual conclusion, too. Wow... I didn't even know the game had an 'end'.

Worse, the game writers taunt you with it.

. SPOILER DELAY FOR ZIPPING PAST THIS POST

"Nothing is real. This existence is an imitation of life, a model made by jaded intellects, enslaved to their actuality as I am enslaved to mine. What lies beyond the truth?" Nothing except getting to name the galaxy for having 'discovered' it, and then starting over in a 'fresh' galaxy.

Some guy has done this 11 times already.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

LOL...yeah, spoilers, boys...

Hopefully the devs will take this massive ripping and add things to it to make it what it should have been. I liked AJ's idea of teaming up with Bioware, but that'll NEVER happen. Then again who knows...

JasonPratt

Quote from: Barthheart on August 23, 2016, 02:33:51 PM
Errr.... ummmm.... spoiler!?! >:(

Are you more upset AJ (and I) spoiled the non-ending, than you would have been to sink who knows how many hours into the game to get that result?

Now it's up to you to decide how hard you want to work for that non-ending.

Edited to add: but I've now gone back and added spoiler spacing so someone can zip past it without seeing it.  O:-) Sorry.

bbmike

When, oh when will we get those forum spoiler tags?  ???
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 24, 2016, 07:22:31 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 23, 2016, 02:33:51 PM
Errr.... ummmm.... spoiler!?! >:(

Are you more upset AJ (and I) spoiled the non-ending, ...

Just you  ;) .... I have purposely avoiding all the reviews/bashing just so I can enjoy or not the game on it's own merits. And it's been easy to do as most of what you all have been posting is links to video or blogs... not actual spoiler words.....

But I forgive you..... and yes I'm still going to play through on my own....