Main Menu

{facepalm}

Started by bayonetbrant, November 10, 2012, 05:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

NC State's marching band playing a piece commemorating the Soviet defense of Leningrad at halftime on Memorial Veterans' Day weekend.

And before y'all go off about "typical academic liberals" or anything, understand that NC St is an agricultural and engineering school with a long ROTC tradition (Vuono, Shelton, MacNeill, William Lee, and others). It's pretty conservative as colleges go. Whenever someone tries to hold an anti-war demonstration, the counter-protest is inevitably larger. They just don't quite get their history...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Mr. Bigglesworth

That does seem weird.

Wasn't the soviet defence of Leningrad key to stopping the Nazis? Wasn't it therefore an important allied operation? Would we all be sporting stupid little moustaches without it? Not that that has anything to do with a US college...
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

IIRC Gus reviewed a book on the siege several years back on another website.

Leningrad was characterized by citizens starving on a wholesale scale. Yes, it was a turning point in the war, but, well, let's let Wikipedia take it from here:

QuoteMemorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

But isn't tomorrow Veteran's Day? Or am I missing something?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Lemme edit above...

FWIW - I got the holiday right on my FB post
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Other than a minor change, the above still stands. Veterans Day in the US, well, let us turn again to the Internet for some clarity:

QuoteThe ceremony is intended to honor and thank all who served in the United States Armed Forces.

Source: http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/

Either way commemorating the Soviets in Leningrad, while commendable, is not appropriate for a Veterans Day ceremony. Or Memorial Day. Maybe May Day (if you're one of the dozen active Communists on the planet) but that's probably about it.

son_of_montfort

The only thing I can think is that they are honoring the sacrifice of the world's veterans in holding back Nazi victory? Remember, most of those soviet soldiers were not "Communist" themselves, but conscripted young men who had no choice. But still a really really weird pick.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Silent Disapproval Robot

Well if it was Shostakovich they were playing, you could do worse. 

Symphony No 7, Opus 60  "Leningrad".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xlqsXlapK8

bayonetbrant

no, they were just performing a selection of music by a Russian composer.  One of them was some festival piece, then the Soviet Leningrad bit, then the 1812 Overture.  They did the same show last game, too - they don't change up too much during the year b/c of limited practice time.

But no one stood up and said, "Hmmm... maybe a composition honoring the Soviet military isn't completely appropriate for US Veterans' Day weekend."

To their credit, they have the ROTC guys with the touchdown cannon firing along with the 1812 Overture.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'd be fine with it.  They were our allies during WWII.  I'll down at the cenotaph tomorrow morning, listening to the pipers.

LongBlade

I wouldn't mind the 1812 Overture to honor US servicemen (the point of the holiday). We do have plenty of US-created patriotic music, but changing things up once in a while might be OK.

But explicitly celebrating a foreign military on a day dedicated to US military is, well, misguided.

airboy

The NCSU band director was tired from a long night of cow-tipping.  He gave the band the wrong sheet music.

Sorry - can't resist.

bayonetbrant

^^ I actually just found out within the past month that the NC St band director is married to the sister of a very good friend of mine.  Definite point in his favor.  But then again, he's an Ohio St grad, so HUGE strike against him.

I'm going to see about having Andy pass him a note through his sister about the music selection for Veterans' Day weekend, and the birthday of the Marine Corps.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on November 10, 2012, 08:42:44 PM
I wouldn't mind the 1812 Overture to honor US servicemen (the point of the holiday). We do have plenty of US-created patriotic music, but changing things up once in a while might be OK.

But explicitly celebrating a foreign military on a day dedicated to US military is, well, misguided.

The 1812 overture is about Russia and Napoleon. What is the difference with that and the Soviet Leningrad music? Seems negligible to me, both are about Russians defending their homeland. 1812 is worse for us, actually, given we had a war in 1812 and if you want to commemorate that year on Veterans Day, commemorate it with the Star Spangled Banner (written for the War of 1812). Also, in 1812, the French were more friendly with us than the Russians (Louisiana Purchase, anyone).

Meh.

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 10, 2012, 11:10:54 PM
But then again, he's an Ohio St grad, so HUGE strike against him.

Party foul. That's the Ohio State. You should know better!  :P
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 11, 2012, 01:54:03 PMParty foul. That's the Ohio State. You should know better!  :P

I do know better. That's why I said it the way I did.

LongBlade

The 1812 overture has big drums. So it wins.