Main Menu

{facepalm}

Started by bayonetbrant, November 10, 2012, 05:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on November 11, 2012, 03:22:11 PM
The 1812 overture has big drums. So it wins.
The cannons probably help too...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

You all probably heard this, but it's worth retelling.
The US Army Band, Pershing's Own, annually has a summer program climaxing in The 1812 Overture  (Ovetur Borodin).  This performace includes an artillery battery firing blanks, as the score directs.
It is always a big hit with the crowds who attend.  It has been held for many years in the Sylvan Theater, which is an open air venue on the Washington Monument grounds in DC.
The year after 9/11, a commercial plane was flying into Washington National airport, and the Army Band was performing.  Someone on the plane noticed the distinctive blasts of artillery pieces being fired and got the whole plane in an uproar that Al-Quada was attacking the Washington Monument.

http://www.usarmyband.com/events/overture_1812.html

For those of an impatient nature, feel free to jump ahead to 13:30.
After the Overture, they follow up with John Philip Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

son_of_montfort

Yes, but you lived in Louisiana, so you must support Napoleon.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 12, 2012, 09:47:06 AM

Yes, but you lived in Louisiana, so you must support Napoleon.

Never.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.