You Might Be a GrogHead If...

Started by LongBlade, December 19, 2012, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

The family was at lunch this weekend and somehow a discussion cropped of history. The kids started to tease me about it, and then proceeded to recite my summation that World War II was merely an extension of World War One. In unison they parroted me word-for-word. It was hilarious and satisfying to know that they had absorbed my lessons.

Which got me to thinking that I'm probably not the only guy around whose family knows more about history through osmosis than the rest of the restaurant combined. And that probably isn't the only salient characteristic of us.

So with that in mind, I present to you the start of a list.

You might be a GrogHead if...

...your family can recite large chunks of your historical musings.

...you make a list on Friday of what games you're going to play over the weekend. And then not get to half of them.

...you bought a second copy of a game because you forgot you already owned a copy.

...you bought a second copy of game to have a backup copy.

...you bought a game "just in case" someone might show up in your house interested in that particular era or subject, not because you happened to have a lot of interest in the subject.

...you find yourself correcting the news anchor on TV because he knows less about the subject than you do. Typically on a nightly basis.

...your kids start calling out logical inconsistencies on their TV shows because, well, that's just how a GrogHead family rolls.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on December 19, 2012, 11:00:53 AM
You might be a GrogHead if...

and you still have an unpunched copy of the game, "for your collection"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

or you buy a copy of a pc game again and again because youre not sure youre quite finished with it

2 x Silent Hunter III - 2009, 2011
3 x Medieval War 2 - 2010, 2011, 2012

Greybriar

Quote from: LongBlade on December 19, 2012, 11:00:53 AM
....You might be a GrogHead if...

...you make a list on Friday of what games you're going to play over the weekend. And then not get to half of them.

...you bought a second copy of a game because you forgot you already owned a copy.

...you bought a game "just in case" someone might show up in your house interested in that particular era or subject, not because you happened to have a lot of interest in the subject....

Yeah, I've done all those. How's about this, which I've also done:

...you bought a second copy of a game--the retail boxed version--to have a printed paper manual.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

GDS_Starfury

a man needs his bathroom reading material.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Quote from: Greybriar on December 19, 2012, 12:17:11 PM
Yeah, I've done all those. How's about this, which I've also done:

...you bought a second copy of a game--the retail boxed version--to have a printed paper manual.
I'm guilty of the mirror version of this: 

...You purchased a digital copy of a game you already own because your physical copy is no longer compatible with modern hardware/OS's...and you still keep the box and manual of the original copy! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Longdan

You buy a copy of a game on GamersGate because it is on sale.
And then you buy a copy on steam because it is on sale there for a buck cheaper.
And then you buy a copy in the store to get a box and rules.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

W8taminute

...If your 8yr daughter knows how to use a boomshot to take out locusts in horde mode better than you can.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Bison

If you spend more time here online during the day then actually doing your job.

steve58

...you have a closet full of old wargames, most of which you don't/can't play anymore....yet you get very nervous if your wife goes anywhere near that closet when she's planning a yardsale.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bob48

A typical set of sound effects eminating from the Control Centre at Minas Bob

...chuckle.....

...guffor.....

...tut...

cor!

...Gloiiinnngggg...

ow!

...chuckle....

yep - sounds like a Grog to me.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

Quote from: bob48 on December 19, 2012, 03:12:18 PM
A typical set of sound effects eminating from the Control Centre at Minas Bob

...chuckle.....

...guffor.....

...tut...

cor!

...Gloiiinnngggg...

ow!

...chuckle....

yep - sounds like a Grog to me.

Or someone choking on their dentures.

DoctorQuest

.....you buy a second copy from GOG to get rid of the stupid DRM in the first copy.......

I've bought backup copies on GOG as well.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on December 19, 2012, 03:13:25 PM
Or someone choking on their dentures.

Watchout! I hear Windy has a new cane and knows how to use it!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison