You Might Be a GrogHead If...

Started by LongBlade, December 19, 2012, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

You're watching a documentary about some early battle of WWII.. and you say.. why the heck do they keep showing clips of a Pz IV G firing.. Or a Tiger Tank.. they didn't exist in the invasion of Poland or France!

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

besilarius

You cringe at the mention of the Bismarck, the Arizona, the Yamato, or the Scharnhost sinking, because they always resurrect this old clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWO-AUI8HDE
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Tuna

You "Let it pass" when you "know" that the Tiger in Kelly's Heroes or Private Ryan is a modified T-34.. even thankful that they went to the trouble to make it look authentic, as opposed to Battle of the Bulge or A bridge to Far's poor excuse for panzers...

But then to see those same T-34 (Tiger's) used in documentary's where the average viewer thinks they're looking at the real thing!

MetalDog

...or you blow a customers mind when they mention Christmas is celebrated in the Ukraine in January and you say, "Yeah, Candlemas" and they wonder how the hell you knew that.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Longdan

Lotsa Ukranski round here always see dem laffing at the Boxing Day sales.
More on topic: "playing" copies and untouched unwrapped mint copies
of boardgames 30+ years old...AH, SPI, GDW ...
digni enim sunt interdicunt

W8taminute

Quote from: Tuna on December 19, 2012, 06:24:14 PM
You're watching a documentary about some early battle of WWII.. and you say.. why the heck do they keep showing clips of a Pz IV G firing.. Or a Tiger Tank.. they didn't exist in the invasion of Poland or France!

Quote from: LongBlade on December 19, 2012, 06:26:07 PM
^ Yup :)

Double Yup. 

Also what Bison and Steve said on the previous page.  More time here during working hours than at actual work and the wife going near my game shelf/closet with a box that says "For Yardsale". 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Smuckatelli

Your family knows historical dates because you linked them to their birthdays...

Longdan

You watch a piece of crap movie like "Legends of the Fall" and marvel
at how they got the uniforms for the Canadian soldiers perfectly and then
lose it all when the chronology of the voice over doesn't fit WW I  history.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

eyebiter

you order a board game, even though you already have the Strategy & Tactics magazine where it first appeared.

you remember when miniatures were made of lead instead of plastic.

you keep catalogs from long gone gaming companies (Avalon Hill, FASA, SPI, TSR, Victory Games) "just in case" you might need to read them again.

Tuna

Quote from: Longdan on December 20, 2012, 12:01:43 PM
You watch a piece of crap movie like "Legends of the Fall" and marvel
at how they got the uniforms for the Canadian soldiers perfectly and then
lose it all when the chronology of the voice over doesn't fit WW I  history.

Pearl Harbor, they go through all that trouble creating gorgeous CGI graphics of the old Battleships.. then they do flyby's in front of modern Frigates!

Boggit

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 19, 2012, 11:43:15 AM
or you buy a copy of a pc game again and again because youre not sure youre quite finished with it

2 x Silent Hunter III - 2009, 2011
3 x Medieval War 2 - 2010, 2011, 2012
I'm guilty too - for backup reasons... MTW, RTW, RTW Gold,MTW2 Gold. I already had the games....... :-[ ::)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Atilla60

You're at a party and when the hot brunette across the table introduces herself as Kate, Your thought process goes along the line with: Kate?  ... hmmm... great torpedo bomber, a little slow but operational range is good... Should I upgrade to Jill? Is it worth it? No! This is important, it involves retooling factories, timeline to actually make the switch, resources and ..... Then reality hits you and you say: What was your name again?
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

LongBlade

Quote from: Atilla60 on December 24, 2012, 04:13:31 AM
You're at a party and when the hot brunette across the table introduces herself as Kate, Your thought process goes along the line with: Kate?  ... hmmm... great torpedo bomber, a little slow but operational range is good... Should I upgrade to Jill? Is it worth it? No! This is important, it involves retooling factories, timeline to actually make the switch, resources and ..... Then reality hits you and you say: What was your name again?

LOL

That did *not* just happen to you!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Atilla60 on December 24, 2012, 04:13:31 AM

thats brilliant - of course theres quite a lot of lady's names youre going to come unstuck with!

betty, val, mary, emily....................