You be the editor / producer

Started by bayonetbrant, April 03, 2014, 10:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I do this exercise in class with my students when we talk about news media

I thought it might be interesting to do here

QuoteYou are the newspaper editor / TV news producer.

The date is 22 January, 1998.  Among the news highlights you're expecting for the day are:

• The Pope is in Cuba for a sit-down with Fidel Castro.
  • It's the 25th anniversary of Roe v Wade, and there are massive protests expected on both sides in DC.
  • Space Shuttle Endeavor takes off, headed to Russian Space Station Mir.
  • Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber) pleads guilty to all counts.
  • 1-year anniversary of Madeleine Albright's tenure as first female Secretary of State
  • UN / NATO discussions on Yugoslavian oppression in Kosovo during run-up to eventual bombing / occupation
What is the lead story on your newscast / front page, and why?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

•It's the 25th anniversary of Roe v Wade, and there are massive protests expected on both sides in DC.

Because it's probably had single biggest impact on US society since WWII. Whether for or against people from all walks of life have been affected by it.

eyebiter

Windigo

Bill Clinton not keeping his cigar in his pocket with Monica
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bayonetbrant

eyebiter - you're googling too much :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

steve58

If I were a news producer in 1998 (or now for that matter), I'd know that there are fewer topics that raise the hackles of the Left and Right in the USA as Roe vs Wade, so that'd be my lead off story.  To further appease the Left and the Feminists, I'd follow with Madeleine Albright's tenure as first female Secretary of State.  Next, I'd cover the UN / NATO discussions.  The Unabomber would be old news by then, same for the space shuttle so I'd cover those later in the newscast and I'd probably only mention the Pope at the end of the news (if I had time) as a warm-fuzzy piece...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

MetalDog

Roe vs. Wade protests.  For two reasons:

1) On a personal level, I think it's important that a woman has a choice.  I wish that the clinics they use would go a fair way towards trying to convince the female not to abort.  In the end, the womans choice.

and

2) Conflict sells papers/gets people watching.  "25 years ago today, baby killers were unleashed on the nation!"
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

I didn't read anyone else's post before posting mine.  I like all your answers, but I like eyebiter's the best.

I would really have hoped that it would be the Shuttle going to the space station.  For the reason that, if that is the lead story, then we are devoting serious attention to space.  We need a goal to unite mankind.  Working towards using the resources around us and adapting our way of life for living off planet.  And if we live long enough, moving off this planet is the only way for the human race to survive.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 03, 2014, 10:35:48 AM
I do this exercise in class with my students when we talk about news media

I thought it might be interesting to do here

The date is 22 January, 1998.  Among the news highlights you're expecting for the day are:

• The Pope is in Cuba for a sit-down with Fidel Castro.
  • It's the 25th anniversary of Roe v Wade, and there are massive protests expected on both sides in DC.
  • Space Shuttle Endeavor takes off, headed to Russian Space Station Mir.
  • Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber) pleads guilty to all counts.
  • 1-year anniversary of Madeleine Albright's tenure as first female Secretary of State
  • UN / NATO discussions on Yugoslavian oppression in Kosovo during run-up to eventual bombing / occupation
What is the lead story on your newscast / front page, and why?

UN / NATO discussions on Yugoslavian oppression in Kosovo during run-up to eventual bombing / occupation

Why?  It is the item that has the most meaning going forward. Initially I thought RvsW like Bearthheart then I thought everyone has had plenty of time to form a position. So even though the last item is 'foreign' news, it is the most likely to put the country into new decisions in the future. People need time to cogitate over that.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

One more thing, the press should feel they have a civic duty to make people engaged citizens. Engaged citizens are less likely to have the wool pulled over their eyes. Several items are trivia. Who cares. Geopolitical events have far reaching consequences that impact far into the future.

MikeGER

the correct answer is: of what kind of news paper or TV station and its HQ where on the globe ?
(serious, financial, or yellow press, leaning left or right, focus is local, regional, global?)

How his the audience structured?
What do they expect from 'their' news?
Where there dead people (and how many of them American ...if none, it only count a hundredth part, if ever inside US)?
Are there 'emotions' that can be exaggerated and feasted on by interview victims, mourning, injured on the spot?   
btw..we still need another cute animal puppy or bird vid for the end ...let the intern check latest YT   
What do the companies who buy regularly the add blocks 'tolerate' and want to see around their adds?
Is there a (silent)owner of the newpaper or the tv-station, does he/she/the board of directors got a pet peeve,
a NoGo, a sweet spot, a show stopper,...

the actual "news" doesn't matter at all... do you want bread on the table or the f*#&ing Pulitzer prize  ;)   

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on April 03, 2014, 09:36:01 PM
One more thing, the press should feel they have a civic duty to make people engaged citizens. Engaged citizens are less likely to have the wool pulled over their eyes. Several items are trivia. Who cares. Geopolitical events have far reaching consequences that impact far into the future.

But that only applies if citizens WANT to be engaged, and we don't want to be. The news is offering exactly what the viewing audience is demanding... absolutely nothing challenging, and a bunch of fluff.

Windigo

It's a trick question you a bunch of dorks. Every news station ran with the lead of Bill Clinton doing the nasty things with Monica.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 04, 2014, 10:31:13 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on April 03, 2014, 09:36:01 PM

But that only applies if citizens WANT to be engaged, and we don't want to be. The news is offering exactly what the viewing audience is demanding... absolutely nothing challenging, and a bunch of fluff.

Don't watch news for your fluff, there is sports, sitcoms, all kinds of stuff.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Windigo on April 04, 2014, 11:37:35 PM
It's a trick question you a bunch of dorks. Every news station ran with the lead of Bill Clinton doing the nasty things with Monica.

Pretty much.  And they were all reporting it live from Havana b/c they were there for the Pope's visit in Cuba