The painting urge is strong - cannot resist

Started by undercovergeek, December 12, 2017, 02:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Where do you get them from UCG? Are they expensive? I saw a site today that had similar for considerable amounts of coinage.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Lol No worries - I think the stance is supposed to represent the unit caught mid sprint or mid assault - there's 6 lower bodies on each sprue - 3 static and 3 kinetic

JD - they're 28mm there's a company called artisan, warlord games themselves and your airfix kit that I've seen used - in comparison I think 40k and warhammer is 35mm

I bought a starter box of 5 sprues that will provide 30 guys so about enough for a 500 point army - it was 26 pounds but I've seen them on eBay at about a tenner and yes you get the body section, polish or British heads with berets and the same again with helmets and then all kinds of arms and errrr arms from stens to brens and rifles and then piles of extras like backpacks, pouches, piats and so on

Barthheart

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 10, 2018, 11:34:31 AM
I bought a starter box of 5 sprues that will provide 30 guys so about enough for a 500 point army - it was 26 pounds but I've seen them on eBay at about a tenner and yes you get the body section, polish or British heads with berets and the same again with helmets and then all kinds of arms and errrr arms from stens to brens and rifles and then piles of extras like backpacks, pouches, piats and so on

This sounds like a good amount of kit. Care to post a pic of some sprues?  :dreamer:

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 10, 2018, 11:32:17 AM
Where do you get them from UCG? Are they expensive? I saw a site today that had similar for considerable amounts of coinage.

Warlord games site or bricks and mortar - I went to a place in brum for the models called waylands forge but actually drove to the warlord hq in Nottingham to get the paints

There's a massive Pegasus bridge pack for about 200 pounds right down to just the kit I got for 26

Of course that's just paras, the us marines look great as do the SS but apparently you can get grief for fielding them as I found out yesterday

undercovergeek

Quote from: Barthheart on January 10, 2018, 11:37:13 AM

This sounds like a good amount of kit. Care to post a pic of some sprues?  :dreamer:

Sure give me 5 mins

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 10, 2018, 11:38:02 AM

Warlord games site or bricks and mortar - I went to a place in brum for the models called waylands forge but actually drove to the warlord hq in Nottingham to get the paints

There's a massive Pegasus bridge pack for about 200 pounds right down to just the kit I got for 26

Of course that's just paras, the us marines look great as do the SS but apparently you can get grief for fielding them as I found out yesterday
So you do use them for gaming? What kind of grief? Just for fielding them at all or because they're not "in the scenario time frame" that you're playing?
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: Barthheart on January 10, 2018, 11:37:13 AM

You get 5 of these, 30 bases, and a little transfer sheet with rank and the airborne insignia on for the shoulders

if you need me to zoom in or focus a bit more just let me know

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 10, 2018, 11:47:29 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 10, 2018, 11:38:02 AM

So you do use them for gaming? What kind of grief? Just for fielding them at all or because they're not "in the scenario time frame" that you're playing?

just joined a gaming club JD and they said dont dive in, use their troops and play the game, if you like it then just get a 500 point force and bring them along - they run what they call an escalation league so in Feb therell be 500 point v 500 point games then in June 750 v 750 and in October 1000 v 1000 so you can build your army, see where your play style lies and add or change to your army and slowly build it up

As with most WW2 games there are people who baulk at SS on the game table, ive had people refuse to play a CMBN PBEM game with me before now because i picked SS as the army

Barthheart

Thanks for the pic!  O0

I think that's your reason right there for getting these instead of the AirFix figures. Lots of config possibilities.

Keep up the good work UCG. I really like the look of your figs so far.  :clap:

JudgeDredd

How do you think they'd be if you turned up without them painted? Are they that "geeky" (for want of a better word) about it?

Is there much flash on them (seem pretty clean from the pick)

Also - one last question and I'll let you go - how do you know what makes up a 500 point army? I presume there's a sheet about giving costs to various types of soldiers, teams, NCO's and Officers?
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

No, unpainted would be fine, but between the guys they have us, marines, uk, airborne, french, italian, japanese, chinese, german, ss, hungarian, romanian, russian - the list goes on and will happily lend you the minis

hardly any flash at all, just the join at the sprue, i bought a modelling knife but have hardly used it

theres this handy site http://boltaction.easyarmy.com/ where someone has uploaded all the rule books for each army, you just choose from the OOB what youd like and it works it all out for you, with this and the guys around the club i dont think ill need to actually buy the book!

OOB builder

and then it makes a fancy list for you to print out and take or send to the GM for approval

bob48

In the days when I used to play a lot of minis games, the universal rule was that unpainted figures were not allowed on the gaming table.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

along with no riding your donkey after 7pm, always bow to the romans as they pass, and never shovel out your poo when a centurions on guard!

good to see you you old fart

bob48

...and no playing with un-clipped counters.........

:-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath