Today's Article: First Impressions of WWII in Europe

Started by bayonetbrant, December 20, 2014, 11:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

BC's first impressions of WWII in Europe grace our front page today.  What do you think?

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Looks good! I plan to pick this one up after Xmas, wallet willing.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Good first taste..... should get people watered up to play and more.....

Marty Ward

How hard is it to pick up on the system? I have always wanted to get one of Ron's games but it always looked like to much work learning the system.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Barthheart

Quote from: Marty Ward on January 16, 2015, 12:27:04 PM
How hard is it to pick up on the system? I have always wanted to get one of Ron's games but it always looked like to much work learning the system.

It's really not that much work. It's just a very different UI. Once you play a couple of scenarios it's easy to play and push counters around and fight. But there is a learning curve to the deeper logic of how to fight well. It requires a bi of trial and error to see how all the parts work together. But again after a few plays you get that feel and can have some real fun.
The AI is good for learning the game. It puts up a reasonable defence and can be good at offense as well, especially in the East Front scenarios.
Well worth the time and money.

More coming on the weekend.  ;)

Marty Ward

Quote from: Barthheart on January 16, 2015, 12:32:22 PM
Quote from: Marty Ward on January 16, 2015, 12:27:04 PM

It's really not that much work. It's just a very different UI. Once you play a couple of scenarios it's easy to play and push counters around and fight. But there is a learning curve to the deeper logic of how to fight well. It requires a bi of trial and error to see how all the parts work together. But again after a few plays you get that feel and can have some real fun.
The AI is good for learning the game. It puts up a reasonable defence and can be good at offense as well, especially in the East Front scenarios.
Well worth the time and money.

More coming on the weekend.  ;)

Thanks. I don't mind not being able to play a game well but I hate not being able to work the interface. I might give this one a shot, since it looks like it will eventually cover everything.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Barthheart

Did you check out the intro video that Ron Dockal made?

Marty Ward

Quote from: Barthheart on January 16, 2015, 02:11:39 PM
Did you check out the intro video that Ron Dockal made?

Not yet. It's somewhat long so I need to find the time to do it.