Netflix show about the teutoburg forest battle - trailer

Started by Destraex, October 07, 2020, 09:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Netflix have a trailer on youtube for "barbarian". looks interesting. A netflix drama about teutoburg wald.
Bit of artistic license with the female warrior? Or were the germans of this period known for them? I know that recently they uncovered the archaeological remains of what they think is the teutoburg battlefield.  Perhaps the evidence is there. I do remember reading though that the german cavalry of the time thought any cavalry using saddles to be effeminate and charged them on site. But that I imagine would have been from a Roman writers perception of things. So it may not have literally meant the Germanic tribes had a concept of femininity as being weak. Even then it would not preclude female germanic warriors. I am however fairly certain no evidence of female legionaries has been found. I know female gladiators existed, but my understanding is that they were used more as a half time or flavour sort of show.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1mBnYJcZJ-A
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

Damn, that looks pretty good even if it is in subtitles. Thanks for the heads-up Des.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LuckyMan

Grim.Reaper

I watched the entire season the other day, certainly watchable and kept me entertained enough to binge through them all.  Not sure if anything overly remarkable, but good enough where I'll watch future seasons if they come.  I love it when they release the entire season at once, hate waiting to watch things over a long period of time:)

amichaell

I finished it earlier this week. I liked it. The subtitles made watching a bit difficult as I watch Netflix while working out, though I think not using English was a nice choice and brought a bit more character to the show. Looking forward to future seasons. Not sure if the next season will be a followup or something different altogether.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: amichaell on October 30, 2020, 07:19:48 AM
I finished it earlier this week. I liked it. The subtitles made watching a bit difficult as I watch Netflix while working out, though I think not using English was a nice choice and brought a bit more character to the show. Looking forward to future seasons. Not sure if the next season will be a followup or something different altogether.

Interesting, the version I watched didn't have sub titles but was spoken in English (although might have been dubbed in).

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 30, 2020, 07:27:23 AM
Quote from: amichaell on October 30, 2020, 07:19:48 AM

Interesting, the version I watched didn't have sub titles but was spoken in English (although might have been dubbed in).

I love the fact that the Romans are speaking in Latin. My Latin sucks, but I have a gaming buddy who spends his summers at "Latin Camp"; he is eating it up.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

It's called, 'Barbarians' on my Netflix with English speaking Germans and Latin speaking Romans with English subtitles. I watched episode 1 tonight, mildly entertaining I thought.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.