Combat Mission: Cold War

Started by nelmsm, April 29, 2022, 04:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelmsm

Would any of you guys that have this recommend it?  My anniversary coupon from Matrix should be here tomorrow and thinking of this one and WEGO Stalingrad for purchases. 

Skoop

That's the only one I don't have.  That's a good idea using the matrix discount for it, forgot about that one.  The CM games go on sale on steam a few times a year, the Cold War one hasn't yet as that's the newest release, but I'll get it when it does.  Been playing the Black Sea a ton though.  If you don't own any CM games, you should try at least one, should be a war gamer requirement.

ArizonaTank

I just played it the other day. If you like the other CM games, you'll like this one. Although if you are expecting the Soviets to act like the Russians in today's Ukraine, you will be shocked. The Soviets in the game are competent. Had 1 M-60 and 4 M-48s defending against 12 T-64s and T-62s...my guys died with their boots on is all I can say.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Old TImer

"if you are expecting the Soviets to act like the Russians in today's Ukraine...."

Ha!
Slava Ukraini!!!

And the CM games are classic.  I have most of them.  As mentioned, you have to at least
try one.  I think they're really good.

Sir Slash

They are excellent but can be a very tough game to beat. 'Non-Forgiving' is the word I would use.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

nelmsm

I had the original 3 games years ago but nothing for a long time.  From what you guys say and the YouTube videos I watched I'll pick it up.

fabius

CM usually have a demo on their store page
I'd try that first

Skoop

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 29, 2022, 07:31:38 PM
I just played it the other day. If you like the other CM games, you'll like this one. Although if you are expecting the Soviets to act like the Russians in today's Ukraine, you will be shocked. The Soviets in the game are competent. Had 1 M-60 and 4 M-48s defending against 12 T-64s and T-62s...my guys died with their boots on is all I can say.

You should have seen the comments SteveBFC got about the Russians CMBS vs RL Russian in Ukraine.  People were calling for immediate patch to reflect Ukraine 2022, Steve laughed and said it aint gona happen.  You can edit all the scenarios and campaigns (using a mod) to reflect Ukraine 2022.   

nelmsm

Quote from: fabius on April 30, 2022, 05:05:40 AM
CM usually have a demo on their store page
I'd try that first

Apparently there is no demo for Cold War but did down load one for Black Sea and that should be similar enough.

Destraex

I remember the Black Sea demo being crazy hard because of all the tank mounted modern detection equipment. It was really hard to move without being detected partly because of the small map size and partly because of the insane effective sensor systems.
Cold War would be a little more forgiving. So they may not compare.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MOS:96B2P

IMO all the CM titles are worth the money.  Especially if you have an interest in the timeframe / conflict covered.

Some Combat Mission Cold War.

Cluster munitions.

And the NTC.

Redwolf

Quote from: nelmsm on April 29, 2022, 04:07:04 PM
Would any of you guys that have this recommend it?  My anniversary coupon from Matrix should be here tomorrow and thinking of this one and WEGO Stalingrad for purchases.

I highly recommend it. Good use for a coupon.

nelmsm

Thanks for the replies guys.  I'll pick it up whenever my damn coupon gets here.

A Canadian Cat

Cold war rapidly become my favourite.

MikeGER

Well, there is one really bad  thing to say about Combat Mission Cold War.   >:(

Even so it plays in the heart of Germany on German turf , there is zero iconic German equipment (faction, mabye as a QR force helping out, or in a what-if role. i didn't expect a full blown 'northern planes' campaign and aditional specific maps) in the game.
No Leopard, no Marders, Gepards , Fuchs , Wiesel , nada
it might be historical correct for that specific sector, but come on its the Cold War in Germany

Even worse not even planed as a pipe dream DLC announcement for the far future. :dreamer:
(i talked to the Publishers Marketing Director Marco Manoli in a Tea Time Twitch session, and he said no such plan)
while some of the needed models for that DLC would be already in the NATO DLC of Shock Force 2 ?

its like having a Normandy game without any! Americans and only Gold, Juno, Sword beach with Brits  ???

its like having Battle of Little BigHorn without Custor , only Reno's Attack and  Reno-Benteen defense covered   ???