Stronghold Warlords

Started by Jarhead0331, March 09, 2021, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

This releases in about an hour. Anyone getting it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/907650/Stronghold_Warlords/

Overall favorable review, but some initial concerns -

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

I've always been a bit attracted to the Stronghold series, but that RTS aspect makes me sad.  :(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

I am definitely getting it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Bought it on GOG. Will play the tutorial tonight...

Gusington

^Post impressions! Steam reviews right now are 'mixed' for whatever that is worth.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Played a little longer than expected. Tutorial and the first two missions of the first campaign. Maps are fairly small but that's usual. They will increase. So far it's a classical stronghold game. I like the setting. I look forward to pursue the campaign. It's fun and i like it. Very much what i expected. I think there are 5 campaigns with six scenarios each. I hope I'll manage to play multiplayer with my sun.

Gusington

Can you pick and choose the campaign you want to play or are they locked until you progress a certain amount?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

You cannot choose the first campaign. I don't know yet if all the remaining campaigns unlock once i finish the first one (which is still a form of tutorial). I've seen an economic campaign (i think China).

I will try to play one scenario per day.

Gusington

Ah, so there is a bit of a lock before finishing the first tutorial/campaign...I can deal with that. I like to ease in anyway.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I heard, at least in skirmish, that all sides use the same units. So, for example, Mongols can train samurai, etc. I also heard that all units speak Chinese. These seem like real immersion breakers to me if true.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

I haven't tried skirmish yet. For the languages, i don't. The only language i could recognise would be japanese but i am not that far yet.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

I must that this would surprise me because the game supports all the languages of the nations represented in the game.

SlagDog

I love the base building aspect of the Stronghold series (I was one of the few that liked Stronghold 3) but as soon as the fighting starts I start screaming at my monitor "I spent all day building that wall!!!"

This is why I'm glad Planet Zoo isn't an RTS.  ;D

I watched Agrippa play some of the game and it seemed like most all other RTS games. I know that there is a base builder there. He just played through the tutorial mission.

Anguille

It seems indeed that buildings are the same for the different factions. Haven't played more but looked at some videos. The different nations have some specific units but many basic units are the same. I will continue the game and take it as it is. I have fun so far.