Trials and tribulations of owning a house

Started by Jarhead0331, February 06, 2021, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

Ugh.  Good luck, man.

-hate, hate, hate anything water problem related in a house.

GDS_Starfury

I'd strip away all the dry wall and start over with green or purple board.  I would also cut away about a foot of the ceiling drywall and replace that as well.  you got a nice mess there.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 07, 2021, 08:07:03 AM
I'd strip away all the dry wall and start over with green or purple board.  I would also cut away about a foot of the ceiling drywall and replace that as well.  you got a nice mess there.

Shouldn't we find the leak first?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

while the leak is the primary problem all of that drywall is trashed.  theres no 'drying it out'.
it should be replaced with purple board thats used in bathrooms and showers.
but if you want to live with mold.....
just my opinion.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Jarhead0331

Other than the ceiling, what drywall are you referring to?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

the enclosure for the fireplace.
or is it stucco over lathing?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 07, 2021, 11:55:19 AM
the enclosure for the fireplace.
or is it stucco over lathing?

It's stucco over cinderblock.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

weird, usually theres a layer of extruded metal between the block and stucco.
anyway, in a perfect repair all of that gets removed down to the block.  the block gets to dry out as best it can then sealed with at least 3 coats.
the next step would be to clad the block in purple board and then skim coat that in drywall compound.  once all of that is done it gets painted.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 07, 2021, 12:22:33 PM
weird, usually theres a layer of extruded metal between the block and stucco.
anyway, in a perfect repair all of that gets removed down to the block.  the block gets to dry out as best it can then sealed with at least 3 coats.
the next step would be to clad the block in purple board and then skim coat that in drywall compound.  once all of that is done it gets painted.

OK. When are you coming over to do this job?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

Sir Slash

You didn't read the fine print did you Star. Fixing JH's house is in the fine print when you join-up.  :coolsmiley:  When you want your grass cut again Jar?  :P
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

z1812

I have done my fair share of water leak trouble-shooting during my work life. In my experience, as often as not, the water has traveled from one location to another.

As you have had sealing and flashing done in the obvious area without success, it seems reasonable to consider that the water may be traveling from another area.

I would wait until there has been enough dry weather to presume the chimney area has dried. Then as a previous poster suggested, I would water test that area only, just to confirm whether it is the source of the leak. If it is not then other areas of the roof should be tested working along the edges of the roof first. Then working backwards out from around the Chimney.

After the leak has been identified and waterproofed, then as another poster suggested, redo the inside area around the fireplace with marine grade drywall. Water leaks can be frustrating to track down. Before spending any more money on repairs, and as you do not wish to do the work yourself, use a well regarded contractor. Please do not do any more repair work without discovering the leak. It will most likely only cost you more in the long run.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: z1812 on February 09, 2021, 09:58:13 AM
I have done my fair share of water leak trouble-shooting during my work life. In my experience, as often as not, the water has traveled from one location to another.

As you have had sealing and flashing done in the obvious area without success, it seems reasonable to consider that the water may be traveling from another area.

I would wait until there has been enough dry weather to presume the chimney area has dried. Then as a previous poster suggested, I would water test that area only, just to confirm whether it is the source of the leak. If it is not then other areas of the roof should be tested working along the edges of the roof first. Then working backwards out from around the Chimney.

After the leak has been identified and waterproofed, then as another poster suggested, redo the inside area around the fireplace with marine grade drywall. Water leaks can be frustrating to track down. Before spending any more money on repairs, and as you do not wish to do the work yourself, use a well regarded contractor. Please do not do any more repair work without discovering the leak. It will most likely only cost you more in the long run.

This is all very logical and I agree.

The problem is I never see water inside. Ever. The ceiling and wall are never wet. I just see dry streaks and the paint on the concrete chimney is starting to ripple. How do you track down a leak when you never see the water!?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

steve58

Just throwing out a random thought.

Have you thought about getting someone to drop a camera down the chimney and inspect it from the inside?  How old is the house?  Maybe the mortar inside the chimney has deteriorated.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on February 09, 2021, 10:39:34 AM
Just throwing out a random thought.

Have you thought about getting someone to drop a camera down the chimney and inspect it from the inside?  How old is the house?  Maybe the mortar inside the chimney has deteriorated.

Have not done that. I'd be really surprised if that turned out to be the problem though. It is a solid cinder block chimney covered in stucco. If water was getting inside the chimney, wouldn't I see signs of that inside the house, like water running or pooling inside the firebox? There is no moisture in there. It is bone dry.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog