Main Menu

New Vehicle

Started by Sir Slash, March 24, 2021, 03:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

So I traded vehicles today, something we don't talk a lot about here. I won't use brand names here because I don't want to sound like a commercial. My old reliable red pick-up truck from 2005 still had a lot of good miles on her but she was getting less and less dependable. So I traded for a good used 2019 pick-up truck and got a pretty good deal. So, you CAN get a good deal if you look long enough and hard enough.

But why do I feel so bad about walking-away from my Old Friend of so many years? As I cleaned out all my old stuff to the new truck, a flood of memories, some good, some not so good, of all the adventures we had been on together. And I felt bad about leaving her behind as I drove out of the car lot.  :idiot2:  I found myself hoping she gets a, 'good home' and someone who'll take good care of her.  :idiot2: :idiot2:

Why do we Humans attach personal feelings to inanimate objects? Is it because we're Humans? Or are we just naturally afraid of change? Or do I just need therapy?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

I know what you mean about saying good bye to old cars and wondering if the new car will ever feel the same. 

Some of the cars I've owned were hard to let go even though I knew I needed something newer and more reliable.  Other cars I've owned we so much easier to get rid of because they were nothing but headaches from day one.

For me at least, there is some emotional attachment to some cars.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I have named every car I and my family have owned. Sometimes women's names, sometimes names like 'Blue Devil' - my current car. In the last five years we've had two cars totaled (one from a deer, The Wife was driving and one in a multicar pile up, I was driving) and even though all people involved walked away unharmed, I still felt like a family member had died. I love cars and trucks so I identify with what you say above, Slash.

Both cars that were totaled were by the same company but in adherence to your OP I will not name names. But even if I wasn't already madly in love with this particular car company, I would still be extremely loyal as they saved both The Wife and I from severe injury or worse.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I've never named or felt attached to any car/truck I've ever owned. I always just looked at them as a way to get from point A to point B.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

In some ways, a long term vehicle is no different than a pet in a few ways (and maybe this is a horrible way to compare things); you treat them right and they'll stay with you until they can't anymore.  Treat them wrong, and they'll be problematic.  And some vehicles just come into your possession already messed up and you either fix them or get rid of them.

If you've a vehicle long enough, it makes sense to form some sort of attachment to it.

bobarossa

I've driven manual transmission cars my whole life.  They become an extension of yourself while you're on the road.  Three years ago I traded in my 12 yo Volvo for a 3 yo Mazda.  Even after 3 years of driving the Mazda I still yearn for my old car.  The new one just doesn't feel the same.

Gusington

^We had a 2007 Volvo XC70 that was an unstoppable Norse tank until the rear suspension literally exploded out the rear of the car after 5 years. Too expensive to repair, I was heartbroken. I loved that car.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PeaceFlower

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 24, 2021, 03:18:13 PM
Why do we Humans attach personal feelings to inanimate objects?

There is a school of thought that imbues all matter with the property
of consciousness. In such a system, the difference between animate vs. inanimate becomes
an artificial distinction.

Therefore, it becomes fair to say that your car has fond memories of "you"
and is unsettled by your absence. It is sitting somewhere thinking, "I
did exactly what he wanted me to do to the best of my ability. Why did he
get rid of me? Is there something I could have done differently? If I am
melted down and reincarnated in the image of another car model he likes, will we
be reunited again?"

This concept is broadly known as Panpsychism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panpsychism

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 24, 2021, 04:01:45 PM
I've never named or felt attached to any car/truck I've ever owned. I always just looked at them as a way to get from point A to point B.
+1
On the other hand, I still drive my 2003 Suburban with 409,000 miles on it and recently spent 15 k on it for a new engine, transmission, leather interior, etc because I am too cheap to spend 65k on an equivalent "modern" vehicle. Not to mention the new models seem to be made increasingly of cheap plastic. I should be good for another 350,000 miles. My wife thinks I need a new paint job.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaTank

I have a 1999 Ford Expedition sitting in my garage that I take out once every few months. I keep it because it comes in handy to haul or tow every now and then and insurance on it is dirt cheap. It also still runs well and I had it repainted a few years back so it looks pretty good.

But there is certainly a nostalgic angle. I bought the Expedition new and put over 225,000 miles on it myself. Many good memories. I never gave it a name, but part of me does think of it as a 'loyal horse.' Another part of me is just amazed by the resilience of the thing.

My wife is trying to get me to toss the Expedition for a brand new Honda Ridgeline. The sticker shock from the Ridgeline made me comment to her that I could have the transmission and engine of my old warrior rebuilt, for less than a 1/3 of the cost of the Ridgeline; she accused me of "being silly." My younger sister seems to think I 'want to be buried in the Expedition.' In the end, maybe they are both right.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

I checked out the Ridgeline too, very highly rated by a lot of people but I could not see the draw myself. It's a car that's trying to act like it's a truck. Or vice-versa, I'm not sure which.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I hate the looks of the Ridgeline. Get an F350!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on March 26, 2021, 11:05:49 AM
I hate the looks of the Ridgeline. Get an F350!!

Yup, only the finest grocery getter!
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

^Can't tell if sarcasm...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

As a dyed-in-the-wool truck guy (learned on a '77 Scotsdale and have had a truck of some sort ever since), I detest the path the manufacturers have taken in making trucks here in the U.S. just overly large cars with a tiny, little bed.

-you can wrest my '90 F-150 from my cold, dead hands