Dominions 4 video...huh??

Started by mikeck, July 17, 2013, 07:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Here is James' preview of the Dominions 4 alpha...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OB78utM7y3g

Otherwise known as "the game that looks EXACTLY like Dominions 3"! I mean seriously, you can't upgrade the graphics? Map looks a bit sharper but take a look at the tactical battle; I don't see a damned difference.

I know the graphics arent what makes the game great, but c'mon man
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Yeah. If not upgrading the graphics, what's the point. Is a pretty damn good game otherwise.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

One of my big wishes was that they'd improve the random map generator's terrain art.  That stuff looks terrible.  The creature sprites & such are fine.. but the maps look like dog vomit after it ate cow shit.   :)

spelk

Putting a golden curvy border around your dialogue boxes does not a new version of the game make.

Yskonyn

I'll probably get flagged for being a fanboy, but instead of not looking further than your nose is long, you should take a good look at the features list on the illwinter website.
Then read the preview articles linked in de Dom 4 post in the 'Looking for Opponents' forums.

The game is an evolution, not a different game.
The devs are two (2!) guys, doing it because they like it. You cannot expect A grade graphics.
And yes, they are sprites, but they have All been upgraded. Consider what a life's work of pixel art that is to retouch hundreds and hundreds of sprites?

Besides, this keeps the game highly moddable.

The map graphics can be as fancy as you want. Dominions always supported a mapeditor where you can import about anything and make it into a map for the game. Dom 4 will have no less.

Dom 4 is going to be a quality of life upgrade to an already great game. Not a new game. And that is fine.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mikeck

Sorry, I disagree. It's not a graphics game and I get that. But I don't care how many guys are designing it, it's 2013 and I should be able to expect post 1999 graphics. I live the game, will buy it and appreciate the new features, but I don't see what's wrong with expecting a graphical upgrade for a game that already had extremely dated graphics.

I look at my pixel army and can't tell if someone is holding a sword and shield or a crossbow for Pete's sake
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Sounds a lot like the hps sims series of games...they never consider graphic updates

Rayfer

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 18, 2013, 09:23:40 AM
Sounds a lot like the hps sims series of games...they never consider graphic updates

Exactly! And I wish they would because I love their games. As much as we say it is things like gameplay and ai that drives our love for a game...we also enjoy a little chrome here and there to liven up the experience, make it enjoyable to the eyes as well as the brain.

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 18, 2013, 03:54:46 AM
I'll probably get flagged for being a fanboy, but instead of not looking further than your nose is long, you should take a good look at the features list on the illwinter website.
Then read the preview articles linked in de Dom 4 post in the 'Looking for Opponents' forums.

The game is an evolution, not a different game.

I think we're all fans of the game, here.  I had just hoped that one of the major eye sores had been improved in this version (the random map gfx).  They didn't need to be super beautiful or anything, just nice if the look had been improved.  :(

The extra features and new stuff sounds great.  ;D

son_of_montfort

I'm not worried by the lack of graphics update.

I'm also in total agreement with Yskonyn, there is a lot more going on that just curvy banners and new maps. The Thrones of Ascension victory locations are pretty cool, the AI is supposedly getting a little be of a retool (how much is debated), and there are multiple UI and option upgrades - including better control over the way wizards cast spells.

Further, supposedly most ages are getting several new factions and units, so that is nice.

The big thing is that the original used to cost ~$60. Now Illwinter is able to chug it out and charge only $29.99. For a fanboi like me, this is an excellent price even for incremental upgrades.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

SgtRock

Looks too much like been there done that, with the same graphics, poor UI, and not that much new. They should have done a kick-starter to add an artist, UI programer, and some new blood to the project.

Huw the Poo

I have the feeling a kickstarter would have failed.

I think both sides have a point here; there're more than enough juicy new features to easily justify the cost of Dom4.  Admittedly a graphical upgrade would be nice in theory, but I suspect it just wasn't feasible for a tiny outfit like Illwinter.  Getting the game right is far more important.

Yskonyn

Why change a winning team?
Besides, I dare to debate that the graphics are among the biggest development cost for any game project. Don't forget these guys are little more than 'garage coders'. They have a limited budget.

I don't see where people can be disappointed about the lack of fancy graphics, while all Illwinter's games have had the same style. Including their latest offering CoE 3.

The Illwinter Dom 4 page also stated there were going to be upgraded sprites, no graphical overhaul and the screenshots supported that.

Now that a video comes out showing the game in action, suddenly we are amazed about the graphics and we need to post a ranty thread about it?
Come on, that's not fair.

Be real. These guys are updating a labour of love. An update to an already stellar game with the means they have.
Sure, if Dom 3 didn't appeal to you, Dom 4 probably will not either, but I think a rant about what they should have done with the game upgrade is unfair given their background.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Faux

To be frank that video is pretty horrible and the guy just simply doesn't know what he's talking about. There has been loads of UI improvements and not only does he not mention them he's also blatantly lying in few occasions. The usability upgrades are one of the big new things in Dom 4 and the video hardly showcases them at all. Granted it's not the most user friendly game out there but really it's not that bad for a game of this scope.

Also I don't really think it's even reasonable to expect Illwinter to basically rewrite the game engine from scratch just for graphical improvements. They are just two guys and only one of them doing the programming and they work on Dominions in their free time. Besides, a huge amount of work has been put into upgrading all the old and mushy sprites for Dom 4. If there's something they realistically could and should improve it's the sound effects.

SgtRock

QuoteDon't forget these guys are little more than 'garage coders
- I don't think that's true, just that the Dominion games where done part time. They'll never get any bigger doing the same thing with the same graphics. There are 10 year old game with better graphics. A kick starter could take them and the game to the next level.