Dominions 4 video...huh??

Started by mikeck, July 17, 2013, 07:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Good luck!  Ask any questions you might have here and I'll do my best to answer them.  I'm more or less still a noob myself but there are also others around here who know more than I do.

DennisS

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 27, 2014, 02:08:24 AM
Good luck!  Ask any questions you might have here and I'll do my best to answer them.  I'm more or less still a noob myself but there are also others around here who know more than I do.

Small random map, late age, low magic humans.

I was doing well until my Alpha stack got smushed...On the defensive ever since. I was just too aggressive, too soon, and I didn't see his reinforcements soon enough.

It's been tough to build up a respectable force since then..I am going around collecting the troops from a number of other provinces to make a concerted attack on the single AI's provinces. He outnumbers me about 2:1 in troops, so I gotta be smart. I just cannot afford to lose another big battle.

Nefaro

Scouts, scouts, scouts.

Maybe not in such large quantities on small maps, but they're essential if you wanna know what's going on behind the enemy's front line.

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on June 27, 2014, 01:48:44 PM
Scouts, scouts, scouts.

Maybe not in such large quantities on small maps, but they're essential if you wanna know what's going on behind the enemy's front line.

Oh yeah. An extra scout or two would have saved my bacon here. Also, I sent a crap lot of cavalry right into the teeth of pike and spears.

TacticalWargames

I'm OK with the graphics. Being sprites they are easy to mod. Granted some upgrade would have been great but I'm not worried about Total War style graphics as the gameplay is enough..and come on what happened to using our imaginations. I think thats what made PC gaming so good back in the 8bit days. Your imagination did the rest..and your imagination is always going to be better than what a PC can churn out:)

If it was a choice between dedicating development time and money to graphics over new features\gameplay I'd go for new features every time.

Nefaro

I see Dominions 4 has been updated again this month.  Once more adding extra content.

Two new factions - Xibalba and Nazca.

And a bunch of other changes, fixes, and small additions.

update notes>
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/news/dominions-414

I haven't even checked out that last one or two factions added in other recent updates.

TacticalWargames

Great game..loads of gameplay\depth.