Main Menu

Hell Let Loose

Started by jomni, April 24, 2018, 09:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

So hell let loose is as simulation as Post Scriptum?
I also like the Arnhem setting of PS and am hoping that is the better option.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on April 30, 2018, 05:53:29 PM
So hell let loose is as simulation as Post Scriptum?
Depends on how you define it.  No tanks though.

Destraex

Yeah post scriptum for me then. Combined arms is very important for me. Post Scriptum look like doing that part very well. It has AT guns and everything.
The armour models for the tanks are supposed to be fairly realistic. But we will see about that.

Post Scriptum also has supply truck base setup kind of weapons depots which hopefully will make gameplay a little more active. I have never played squad so am very interested in how all this sort of thing works. I don't like the way the post scriptum troop animations and models look atm though.

Does hell let loose have all of this?

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

IronX

Not even close. But it's much earlier in the development process so it's not really a fair comparison. The good news is that we have two realistic shooters covering different campaigns in development that are both playable. Although I have HLL, I can't wait for PS, in part because of the kit above, but mainly because of the theatre.

Father Ted

Quote from: jomni on April 30, 2018, 05:12:01 PM
Yeah.  From the vids I posted, walking around for a long time with no contact and not seeing the enemy when contact actually happens is pretty realistic enough for me.  Hehe.

I actually like that about Squad and potentially HLL/PS.  They're  "approach to contact" games.  The other semi-realistic war shooters we have (RO2 franchise, Insurgency\DoI) are more "charge to contact".  They're essentially about fighting as Iron Age warriors with twentieth century weapons.

MengJiao

Quote from: Father Ted on May 01, 2018, 05:03:44 PM
Quote from: jomni on April 30, 2018, 05:12:01 PM
Yeah.  From the vids I posted, walking around for a long time with no contact and not seeing the enemy when contact actually happens is pretty realistic enough for me.  Hehe.

I actually like that about Squad and potentially HLL/PS.  They're  "approach to contact" games.  The other semi-realistic war shooters we have (RO2 franchise, Insurgency\DoI) are more "charge to contact".  They're essentially about fighting as Iron Age warriors with twentieth century weapons.
--

Taking a look at Hell Let Loose.  Here are the marshes beyond Utah Beach -- early morning, June 6, 1944 --

Bardolph

I bounced off of Post Scriptum fairly quickly and refunded it. HLL on the other hand I quickly racked up 70+ hours in.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on January 01, 2020, 09:30:29 PM
I bounced off of Post Scriptum fairly quickly and refunded it. HLL on the other hand I quickly racked up 70+ hours in.

Yes, HLL is pretty cool.  I'm kinda sad because I was able to hit enemy troops and kill them without too much trouble in Post Scriptum.  I've yet to actually hit anyone in HLL as far as I know.  On the other hand, Ive been missed a lot in HLL so maybe its all for the best.  Here's St. Marie du Mont:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 01, 2020, 10:28:32 PM
Quote from: Bardolph on January 01, 2020, 09:30:29 PM

Yes, HLL is pretty cool.  I'm kinda sad because I was able to hit enemy troops and kill them without too much trouble in Post Scriptum.  I've yet to actually hit anyone in HLL as far as I know.  On the other hand, Ive been missed a lot in HLL so maybe its all for the best.  Here's St. Marie du Mont:

I'm now killing a fair number of the enemy, so that bit of nostalgia for Post Scriptum is gone.  It's true that I've mostly shot them (or grenaded them) at pretty close range...but I guess I'll just have to miss the simple satisfaction of hitting somebody with a rifle bullet at over 50 meters.  On the other hand the gore and the graphics can make even close range results very puzzling.  I guess these two bodies were a sniper/recon unit, but I may have injured them with a grenade or two before I used two clips of .45 caliber SMG bullets on them.  I'm pretty sure there's two in this pile.  I can see a head on the left and the rest seems to be somebody else:

Con

This is a really stupid question but what are the pic controls in hell let loose. I was not able to find anything online on it. I understand WASD and mouse left and right buttons but what about leaning crawling climbing over fences camera views etc.

Thanks for any help
Con

MengJiao

Quote from: Con on January 04, 2020, 06:19:09 PM
This is a really stupid question but what are the pic controls in hell let loose. I was not able to find anything online on it. I understand WASD and mouse left and right buttons but what about leaning crawling climbing over fences camera views etc.

Thanks for any help
Con

I just use the screenshot button.  For other controls, usually the steam questions as found via Google can show you a lot -- for example the AT gun is  pretty iffy to deploy and is likely to be wiped out by tank fire and mg fire before it does much of its rather expensive (30 supply to set up and 5 supply per shot) shooting.  I'm trying to think of other things that had me stumped -- just as with Post scriptum before the training range was set up...it is very hard to learn how to do most things in the game without being in a "unit" in a battle.  I've accidently ventured into tank repair and sniper hunting while trying to do other things that I still can't do (like AT guns).  Fortunately, the "unit" leader (sort of a corporal in charge of 1-5 people) has a Thompson, a .45, grenades, smoke, binoculars for a bargin price of 2 manpower points and if you are reasonably sneaky the Thompson will trump anything  except a tank in spades and you can set outposts and regenerate yourself whereever you want.

Bardolph

Not exactly sure what the defaults are but Q and E should be lean. Space gets you over obstacles. I think CTRL or L SHIFT are your run, the other is crouch. F is use item. Z is prone?
I don't know about camera controls because it is first person only unless you are spectating.

I set em up to be as close to my ARMA settings as I could, but very few games are as flexible as ARMA when it comes to key binding.
For instance I use ALT for sprint, F for crouch and C for prone, V for weapon mode, CTRL, Z and X for the various comms, a mouse button for use item, and another for map.

A couple things I recommend:

Bind one of your "extra" mouse buttons (if you have more than 3) to the Map. You will be using the map a LOT.

If you already have Voice Attack, make a HLL profile and set it up to toggle holding down your run key, either on voice command or using another key as there is no "auto-run" setting in HLL but you will wish there was. If you don't already have Voice Attack, I would think about getting it. It's cheap and works with most games and I find it handy for any number of things. There are free programs that do more or less the same thing, and I tried several of them before finally deciding to go ahead and buy Voice Attack because it just works.

Bardolph

Re: training range and the lack thereof, I found it immensely useful to join an empty server and try out the various roles and vehicles and arty to gain some familiarity with them before trying them under fire. I have yet to crew a tank, I enjoy the infantry game enough and there is almost always a need for a support guy or engineer or even rifleman (who can drop ammo). As usual, everyone goes for the glamour roles (except squad leader, cause that is work) and there are often not enough support or riflemen running around.

The other thing I would add is use your mic and talk. If your squad isn't talking find another. Communication is important and when I join a side that has a bunch of leaderless, half strength squads running around and no one communicating I know the battle is most likely lost. Very often if you start communicating others will join in.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bardolph on January 04, 2020, 09:05:10 PM

The other thing I would add is use your mic and talk. If your squad isn't talking find another. Communication is important and when I join a side that has a bunch of leaderless, half strength squads running around and no one communicating I know the battle is most likely lost. Very often if you start communicating others will join in.

Some other points -- support and rifle cost only 1 manpower point to field so I play those until I have a grip on what's happening plus the M1 is a reasonable weapon (though not the ultimate killer that it is in some other games == PS or maybe it is...I did the knock out MG with a M1 thing a couple of times last night ).
  For coms (v local, X command level, C "unit")  -- somewhat paradoxically, a couple of nights ago we had a "Unit" leader (more or less a corporal in charge of 5 men) who did nothing and didn't communicate.  This worked okay...we just used the "Garrison" spawns -- which were absolutely brilliant -- and three of us in the "unit" formed a unit of our own and chewed through the enemy.  This would not have worked in a game with poor commander and other unit leaders -- luckily the commander and some of the other unit leaders were really good and we three just went blasting along for the ride.
  On the other hand, when you are in a side that has a lot of poor leaders and/or an enemy force that is a lot better, I think it is a good time to try out new things.  I had a unit (I think unit command isn't so bad -- you are armed to the teeth and have binoculars and great communications and you only cost 2 manpower points -- its really the best bargin in the game) and I tried specializing in tank repair, during a horribly lost game.  Some of the unit quit (my best rifleman for example), but the others hauled their supplies and repaired tanks for a while.  So one of the attractions of the game is that the battles vary a lot and even the losing ones have lots of fun things to do.  Like tank repair even!