Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I really won as far as I can tell.  That is just how a "good ending" goes in this game.

airboy

I finally won a game of Shadow Empire.

My "win" is embarrassingly meagre.  I played on Beginner level with no other major powers (only minors and unorganized).  This was a small planet.
My tech level and military are supreme.  I've conquered 48% of the world population and about 30% of the planet's surface.  This gave me a victory score of 39% (with 50% needed for an "official win.")

But this one is over after 16 hours of play.

Victory for Czar Panzer!  Miniature Schnauzers Rule!  [At least on the absolute easiest level possible].

al_infierno

Wow, congrats!  Either way that's no small task.  How many turns did it take?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

Quote from: al_infierno on December 15, 2020, 06:52:48 PM
Wow, congrats!  Either way that's no small task.  How many turns did it take?

Sir Slash

Way to go AB!  :clap:  You're the first I've heard to beat this game.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Congrats airboy...that is quite the accomplishment.  It's tough unforgiving game.

FarAway Sooner

Nice win.  I'm playing on a similar planet with similar settings, but I'm taking a much longer time than you.  I feel like I've spent 16 hours watching DasTactics videos as part of this first playthrough!

airboy

My "win" was on start #2 after watching the Das Tactics videos, reading the manual twice, and thinking about it.

Unless you are retired like I am, few are as fortunate as I to have lots of time for their hobbies.

airboy

Beat Conquest of Elysium 3 with a Baron and two AI opponents.

I think I'll play another pass as a Baron with 4 AI opponents and a different era before going back to Shadow Empire.

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: airboy on December 15, 2020, 05:50:46 PM
I finally won a game of Shadow Empire.

My "win" is embarrassingly meagre.  I played on Beginner level with no other major powers (only minors and unorganized).  This was a small planet.
My tech level and military are supreme.  I've conquered 48% of the world population and about 30% of the planet's surface.  This gave me a victory score of 39% (with 50% needed for an "official win.")

But this one is over after 16 hours of play.

Victory for Czar Panzer!  Miniature Schnauzers Rule!  [At least on the absolute easiest level possible].

Moved my response to the Shadow Empire thread because more appropriate

http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=24408.msg682869#msg682869

airboy

Quote from: airboy on December 17, 2020, 01:47:41 PM

I think I'll play another pass as a Baron with 4 AI opponents and a different era before going back to Shadow Empire.

Finished a much harder game of Conquest of Elysium 3 with a Baron and 4 AI opponents.  I've gotten my fix from this one and have taken it off the hard drive.

Strongly considering playing some Bards Tale 1.

al_infierno

Argh.  I was so close to finishing the roguelike Dungeons of Dredmor.  So close...

I got to level 8 (out of 10, since I had the DLC disabled) and had an absolute arsenal of bolts and explosives saved for the final boss.  But halfway through level 8 I ran into a tough-as-hell unique mutated carrot enemy named The President of Pork who kicked the crap out of me.  I nearly killed him but I was moving more than I was thinking, so instead of baiting him away through the empty rooms to slowly regain my health and take a safe shot, I took a pot shot from melee range with a Skull Bolt (usually strong enough to finish off tough buggers like him), but it only knocked him down to 12 HP, and then the bastard smacked me upside the head and killed me from over 1/3 health.

Rest in peace Mick Madrisky the ass-kickin', bomb-throwin', crossbow-wieldin' perception master.   :'(

I do gotta say this playthrough has got me wanting to play more roguelikes again.  They're quite a satisfying tactical experience, even if it can be frustrating to die and lose all your progress because of a dumb mistake.  One of these days I'll have Dredmor's head...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Myrmidon

Quote from: airboy on December 18, 2020, 02:27:46 PM
Quote from: airboy on December 17, 2020, 01:47:41 PM

Finished a much harder game of Conquest of Elysium 3 with a Baron and 4 AI opponents.  I've gotten my fix from this one and have taken it off the hard drive.

Strongly considering playing some Bards Tale 1.

Have you played CoE 4?  If I recall, it added quite a bit to the game.  I think it was this release that had the more robust combat engine? 

airboy

No on Conquest of Elysium 4.

airboy

I finished Queens Wish: The Conquest by Spiderweb Software.  Took 45 hours to finish.  My characters reached level 20.

I liked this one better than any other Spiderweb release.  I found the meta-story interesting and subduing the four areas with the decisions on which faction to side with in each area was interesting.  Taking 45 hours is not that unusual for me for an RPG game played to completion.

I'll probably write a mini-review for here and a more detailed review on my blog.