Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

I was originally thinking to wait until August when I can use my loyalty coupon to pick this up.  But those two months seem awfully far away right now. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jamus34

I'm not sure why. And hopefully no one gets in trouble however for some reason I was able to use my 2019 loyalty coupon.

No sure if matrix changed the policy or if I fell through the cracks.
Insert witty comment here.

-budd-

It's really good. You will need to consult the manual, i usually have it open while i play to read up on stuff while playing. It's not that you can't play with out consulting the manual, but the game is very interesting and i want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. I'm on my second restart and just trying things out, started my first war with a minor. I won't be able to really complete the conquest as my logistics network and ammo production aren't up to snuff. It might depend on your settings or your starting position but both my games are pretty slow developing. Right now i'm saddled with quite a few bad leaders, and only two in my reserve pool of which only one is any good. All that made me go early for an interior council when i really didn't want to so maybe i can some good HR stratagems to fire or kill them :)
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

devoncop

Quote from: -budd- on June 06, 2020, 10:32:13 AM
It's really good. You will need to consult the manual, i usually have it open while i play to read up on stuff while playing. It's not that you can't play with out consulting the manual, but the game is very interesting and i want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. I'm on my second restart and just trying things out, started my first war with a minor. I won't be able to really complete the conquest as my logistics network and ammo production aren't up to snuff. It might depend on your settings or your starting position but both my games are pretty slow developing. Right now i'm saddled with quite a few bad leaders, and only two in my reserve pool of which only one is any good. All that made me go early for an interior council when i really didn't want to so maybe i can some good HR stratagems to fire or kill them :)

....and there in a nutshell from Budd is an illustration of the beauty of the design. Most folk at first will develop Economic Council, Military Research Council, then maybe Military Design or Interior Ministry. Yet the different situations the game throws at you means a " no Brainer" build order is anything but. I have gone for a Council I otherwise not have because one of the military faction leaders was Class 5 the best) with amazing stats for espionage and got huge benefit as a result mid game.

Infrastructure builds are also completely situational rather than cookie cutter. How many games genuinely can offer this ?
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

-budd-

Another thing, as opposed to most other 4X games this one is wargame 4x. War takes some prep, getting your roads/rail up and running with supply dumps and truck stations, getting replacements in the pipeline, produce enough ammo to fight with, and all this takes away from growth in other areas. I've only met minor regimes, so don't know how foreign diplomacy is, but man if that is good, this is one fine game with just a crap load of replay. All this out of the gate, man Vic :notworthy:

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

W8taminute

I agree with you -budd-

The game is awesome right out of the gate. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MetalDog

You should all really stop saying how awesome this game is.  I don't know if I can wait until it releases on Steam.  I will say I am not super crazy about a Sci-Fi setting as that isn't usually my cup of tea (which I don't drink).  If that sounds like you and you are playing the game and still loving it, I'd like to hear from you.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Father Ted

Quote from: MetalDog on June 06, 2020, 12:51:09 PM
You should all really stop saying how awesome this game is.  I don't know if I can wait until it releases on Steam.  I will say I am not super crazy about a Sci-Fi setting as that isn't usually my cup of tea (which I don't drink).  If that sounds like you and you are playing the game and still loving it, I'd like to hear from you.

Well, if you need a counterpoint, I'm finding it a bit overwhelming at the moment.  There is a lot to consider each turn.  I'm confident I'll get my head round it all at some point (loved ATG), but just now I'm ploughing through (and re-watching) Das Tactics' vids rather than actually playing.

al_infierno

I'm also not crazy about sci-fi settings.  I can get behind a good SF novel or film, but in terms of gaming (especially wargames) I tend to prefer things based in historical reality, as I find it hard to get behind "six goog-goggles engaging eleven shoop-dorples" tactical thinking.

That said, I think this game absolutely nails the "wargame set in a Mad Max world" feeling so well that I love the game despite part of me wishing it was WW2.  It still feels grounded in real-life despite the inclusion of futuristic technology like laser guns and sentient fighting robots.  The operational/tactical thinking still feels like classic ATG with a cool coat of Mad Max paint.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MetalDog

Thanks for answering!  Never played Advanced Tactics.  Just looked at in on Steam.  Looks about my speed.  Actually looks like a game I would MP.  Then again, so does Dominions 5.  And I own neither.  May have some time on my hands over the next few months to rectify that.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

jomni

Looks like I'm quitting my game. I captured one minor nation. But rebellion just immobilised my northern forces. The damn rebels just got to my main dirt highway and stifled supplies between provinces. Then I realised the new province needs its own SHQ right?

The biggest challenge for me now is how to keep people happy. Tips appreciated.

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: jomni on June 06, 2020, 06:46:34 PM
Looks like I'm quitting my game. I captured one minor nation. But rebellion just immobilised my northern forces. The damn rebels just got to my main dirt highway and stifled supplies between provinces. Then I realised the new province needs its own SHQ right?

The game can be harsh in the beginning, and it can regularly just wipe you out.

A second province/zone/city doesn't need it's own SHQ, as long as there is a decent connection. A single SHQ can service a large empire.

And I doubt you can construct a new SHQ when you are cut off from your old one.

jomni

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on June 06, 2020, 07:01:28 PM
And I doubt you can construct a new SHQ when you are cut off from your old one.

I did but they're useless as they can't get supply. My second region's industry hasn't been built yet.

devoncop

Quote from: jomni on June 06, 2020, 06:46:34 PM

Be a little bit careful with over expansion is the lesson I have learned. My first couple of playthroughs had hordes of Raiders piling through gaps in recently acquired land leaving my military pickets cut off . In effect my military did not have the capability to defend the borders that the politicians had landed them with !

My current play through has my popularity at 92%. Peace deals have been signed with a couple of factions allowing me to build and deploy forces in a more concentrated way. Before I built any regular infantry Divn's I had built an agri dome, metal mine and Industry I as well as a truck station and bureaucratic offices immediately after.

I have increased worker wages, built a zoo to increase happiness from the Strategem card and generally tried to not support draconian and arbitrary measures that my psychotic Governor keeps engaging in  :)

I am not playing on a hard level but the same as my previous ones which failed early and hard !

This may help but such is the variety in the game your circumstances may not have suited the above approach.

It does seem vital to keep the population happy though.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Yskonyn

The problem with too much happyness is that your people will become hard to recruit into your army when the time comes you need to expand it rapidly.
The people have become complacent and self indulgent by that time. It'll cost you heaps of money to get an army going because people will not want to quit their great lives.
Its a cool aspect of the game, but a frustrating one for a warmonger lord! 😂
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."