Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrmidon

Dammit!!  Matrix sends me a 14 year anniversary coupon right after I get done reading this thread!

It's like they knew man!!

Now I'm downloading another game to an already full library.  Looking forward to it...

GroggyGrognard

I could not find the time to dive into the game this past weekend. I really wanted to.

Quote from: Myrmidon on June 08, 2020, 05:58:33 PM
Dammit!!  Matrix sends me a 14 year anniversary coupon right after I get done reading this thread!

It's like they knew man!!

Now I'm downloading another game to an already full library.  Looking forward to it...

Good...good...let the anniversary coupon flow through you.

I spent my anniversary coupon on SE also.

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

-budd-

I might be the only one who really likes the UI, i think it's slick for how much information is available. I seem to find another function every time i use it. Did you know you can throttle the traffic of your logistic network. Once you use it up on a segment you see the black color stripe, that's is why sometimes stuff doesn't all get through. Select your S1 HQ, and hit unit admin on the right, bingo, set your percentages. From the S1 to zone, S1 to unit, zone to S1, replacement to units....come on, you didn't know that.

I'm hoping the game holds up late mid, to late game, that's where these games usually break down into a endless uninteresting slog of micro.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

devoncop

Quote from: -budd- on June 08, 2020, 06:43:29 PM
I might be the only one who really likes the UI, i think it's slick for how much information is available. I seem to find another function every time i use it. Did you know you can throttle the traffic of your logistic network. Once you use it up on a segment you see the black color stripe, that's is why sometimes stuff doesn't all get through. Select your S1 HQ, and hit unit admin on the right, bingo, set your percentages. From the S1 to zone, S1 to unit, zone to S1, replacement to units....come on, you didn't know that.

I'm hoping the game holds up late mid, to late game, that's where these games usually break down into a endless uninteresting slog of micro.

I think many of the criticisms (such as they are) about the UI come from unfamiliarity.

Like you I am finding it tremendously useful once you start knowing your way around. I am not one for hotkeys and I only use the Strategic Move,Build Roads and hide units keys but nonetheless find it really quick to get around now.

Anyway now back to trying to reverse a sweeping territory grab from a Slaver Minor adjacent to another Slaver Minor in my north west I am already at war with....if I ever see another rampaging motorcycle it will be too soon.  😁
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Father Ted

Quote from: bobarossa on June 08, 2020, 05:35:40 PM
The later versions of ATG had automated refilling of units.

I loved this.  I think I had more fun designing units and an OOB to sit them in than actually fighting the war.  Even so I still struggled to get the rail network to function.

Manassassas

Is anyone else having problems with their Economic Council not discovering the basic techs? My current game has ground to a halt because of a lack of power - and my economic council are happily discovering advanced techs but not basic ones which would allow me to generate power. 

devoncop

Quote from: Manassassas on June 09, 2020, 06:16:19 AM
Is anyone else having problems with their Economic Council not discovering the basic techs? My current game has ground to a halt because of a lack of power - and my economic council are happily discovering advanced techs but not basic ones which would allow me to generate power.

Once you have discovered three techs in one section, if you started actually researching (rather than discovering) those tech's then the next section starts to be discovered. Best to prevent that until you get power tech's
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

-budd-

I read some where that you don't want to choose a higher tier tech until you get all the lesser ones because it won't go back. 13 minute mark. Not sure about that, it would weird not being able to go back, I'd post over at Matrix forum and see what Vic says it that's the case.

Manassassas

Quote from: devoncop on June 09, 2020, 06:55:13 AM
Quote from: Manassassas on June 09, 2020, 06:16:19 AM

Once you have discovered three techs in one section, if you started actually researching (rather than discovering) those tech's then the next section starts to be discovered. Best to prevent that until you get power tech's

Quote from: -budd- on June 09, 2020, 06:58:45 AM
I read some where that you don't want to choose a higher tier tech until you get all the lesser ones because it won't go back. 13 minute mark. Not sure about that, it would weird not being able to go back, I'd post over at Matrix forum and see what Vic says it that's the case.

Thanks both. That's made it a bit clearer and it seems like my current empire might be a bit of a bust so I'll restart.

With most things in this game it seems like a patient, slow start brings greater reward in the long term. There's no zergling rush in Shadow Empire!

-budd-

I'm just wondering if that's a 100%, what if you finish a tech and the only choice is a lesser one next. I'll post at matrix

Manassassas

Quote from: -budd- on June 09, 2020, 08:51:07 AM
I'm just wondering if that's a 100%, what if you finish a tech and the only choice is a lesser one next. I'll post at matrix

In the video he says that you can still research those "lower" techs, but once you open up the higher levels then the chances of your scientists discovering technologies from the lower ones is diluted because techs from further up the tree are also in the pot of possibilities. That makes sense as in the game I'm about to give up on, my scientists said they had discovered the possibility of getting power from volcanoes but that was a much more advanced option than the power plants or solar farms at the bottom end of the tree.

jamus34

Quote from: Manassassas on June 09, 2020, 08:32:19 AM

Thanks both. That's made it a bit clearer and it seems like my current empire might be a bit of a bust so I'll restart.

With most things in this game it seems like a patient, slow start brings greater reward in the long term. There's no zergling rush in Shadow Empire!

While that's true I think there should be a way to customize the beginning of your empire more.

IE you can have a more Mad Max type of beginning that makes you rely on raiding and hit and run tactics more at the cost of less base production and slower tech growth.

A "bunker society" that is technologically superior but has extremely limited manpower and low integration rates.

I can see a number of different ideas...not sure how workable they are but just a thought.
Insert witty comment here.

-budd-

Those are the answers I'm getting in reply.basically more choices open, less percentage to get what you want.

W8taminute

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 07, 2020, 03:19:59 AM
The problem with too much happyness is that your people will become hard to recruit into your army when the time comes you need to expand it rapidly.
The people have become complacent and self indulgent by that time. It'll cost you heaps of money to get an army going because people will not want to quit their great lives.
Its a cool aspect of the game, but a frustrating one for a warmonger lord! 😂

I believe that is what those free strategem cards that cause fear or unrest can be used for.  Not only do you get a free Fate Point or 2 but you get your people upset enough to want to leave their cushy lives and join the army.  Haha!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

Is anyone else having issues with crashes when trying to access the Management tab?  I used to have it happen every so often, but now in my current campaign it consistently happens every time.  I've opened a thread on the Matrix forum, but just wondering if anyone else has run into this.

Quote from: bobarossa on June 08, 2020, 05:35:40 PM
The later versions of ATG had automated refilling of units.

I just fired ATG up again since my latest SE campaign is tanked, and goddamn - I don't know how I played this game for so many hours and never noticed this.  Looks like I'm a total noob.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao