Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on June 10, 2020, 12:34:06 AM
Is anyone else having issues with crashes when trying to access the Management tab?  I used to have it happen every so often, but now in my current campaign it consistently happens every time.  I've opened a thread on the Matrix forum, but just wondering if anyone else has run into this.

Quote from: bobarossa on June 08, 2020, 05:35:40 PM
The later versions of ATG had automated refilling of units.

I just fired ATG up again since my latest SE campaign is tanked, and goddamn - I don't know how I played this game for so many hours and never noticed this.  Looks like I'm a total noob.

No crashes at all for me yet but there is the first official patch due out later today (the open beta one is already available) which may sort your problem out.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

I sent the save file to Vic, so we'll see what he finds.  I have a feeling the save file is just corrupted somehow, which kinda sucks, but this issue seems pretty uncommon.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

Was having a lot of trouble with logistics and keeping my troops supplied.  Found this thread that helped a lot: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4834257
Biggest help was nationalizing my Truck Station.  Raised Logistics points from 400 to 1000 and doubled their range.  Only caused a 3 point drop in pop happiness. Later upgrading to 2nd level raised points to 4000! 

-budd-

Most times I do this first turn. I try to nationalize any asset that's in short supply, metal, oil, as long as I have the money, if I don't have the money I'll try to trade more to get it. The private sector just seems to take to long to upgrade an asset which hurts when in short supply. Killed me last game with my one metal resource. I never could get the 1000 coin to nationalize it( first one is 500 to nationalize) so building anything using metal was slow. Ended up getting wiped out around turn 70, I was trying upgrade my IP factory and oil at the same time and it took so long I started to run out of food, then the AI attacked . This game is awesome   :bd:
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

W8taminute

I have to admit that I've been beat by the a.i. (on normal difficulty) like a rug so many times I lost count.  I've rage quitted (<- proper English?) at least once with this game. 

You would think I'd walk away and never come back but when I really think about why I lost it always pointed to one or two error's I made in setting up my infrastructure, leadership, or resource management.  I deserved to lose.  The way this game is organized however in terms of information, menu commands, etc. is such that it's easier to see what you have done wrong and correct it compared to anything AGEOD puts out.  Fudge AGEOD.  Pregnant female dogs.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Father Ted

Quote from: W8taminute on June 18, 2020, 02:59:04 PM
I've rage quitted (<- proper English?)

I think rage-quat sounds better, but "rage-quit" is probably proper.  I know we have some genuine writery-guys around here who could point us in the right direction...

As to the game, I'm about 30 turns into my first go - just fumbling my way through.  Watched a lot of DasTactic and read a lot of forum threads, but am still pretty clueless - there's just so much going on.  I've spent a fair amount of time with ATG, so the wargamey portion is okay, but the resource management and distribution...Don't get me wrong, I think as a game it's a great achievement and I'm looking forward to unravelling its mysteries.

al_infierno

I love the sound of rage-quat, so as a professional writer I officially endorse this phrase.

("rage-quit" is definitely proper, though.)

Quote from: al_infierno on June 10, 2020, 07:06:39 PM
I sent the save file to Vic, so we'll see what he finds.  I have a feeling the save file is just corrupted somehow, which kinda sucks, but this issue seems pretty uncommon.

Following up on this, Vic replied and said the bug will be fixed in the next beta patch.  This was a week or so ago, and I haven't checked to see if my savegame is salvageable, but happy with the quick and courteous response.  O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

Am currrently having trouble with energy.  All the good factories/facilities need some.  Reducing production helped but not enough.  Then finally looked and saw energy being sent to units.  WTF?  Turns out those fancy plasma gun equipped troops need energy when in combat!  Think I need to nationalize that new private oil well so I can feed a power plant and fuel the tanks I designed but can't build for lack of fuel. Have solar plant under research but it's only advancing 4% per turn! If I wait for that I can save 1000 credits on the nationalization but can't do everything else I want to do that needs energy.  Trade off after trade off in this game!

JasonPratt

As a self-published author, I approve of "rage-squat" as a colorful alternative.  :coolsmiley:

(But agreed, "rage-quit" is correct. "Rage-quittered" might also be technically correct in a different way.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Check out the new edition in the latest beta, history options. Vic is the man, game just keeps getting better.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4824133&mpage=12&key=
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

CJReich46

Quote from: -budd- on July 10, 2020, 02:39:36 PM
Check out the new edition in the latest beta, history options. Vic is the man, game just keeps getting better.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4824133&mpage=12&key=

Wow. Vic is just amazing. I saw the new History Options.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

al_infierno

- MengJiao

FarAway Sooner

"Rage Squat" to me just sounds like an angry poop.  But I could certainly see myself popping a rage-squat after unexpectedly losing a game I was really into.

This game looks awesome, and I've already wishlisted it.  Only two questions:

1) Is the "Vic" who designed this game somebody who's designed other titles I know?

2) How is the "flavor" for the game?  Does each faction play like a really intricate combination of bonuses and maluses, or does the game lend itself to a very distinctive play style and characterization for each faction?  Or is it just open-sandbox and you get to pick whatever bonuses and maluses you want and then imagine your population however it works out?

Pete Dero

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 15, 2020, 01:32:07 AM
1) Is the "Vic" who designed this game somebody who's designed other titles I know?

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa
Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue
Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris
Advanced tactics series

W8taminute

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 15, 2020, 01:32:07 AM
"Rage Squat" to me just sounds like an angry poop.  But I could certainly see myself popping a rage-squat after unexpectedly losing a game I was really into.

This game looks awesome, and I've already wishlisted it.  Only two questions:

2) How is the "flavor" for the game?  Does each faction play like a really intricate combination of bonuses and maluses, or does the game lend itself to a very distinctive play style and characterization for each faction?  Or is it just open-sandbox and you get to pick whatever bonuses and maluses you want and then imagine your population however it works out?

To answer your second question my feel based on 5 games played so far is that each time you start a new game you pick whatever bonuses and maluses you want.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk