Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

I think Vic took a poll on what he should concentrate on next and both naval and air was on the list.  I'm guessing part of a DLC depending on how much money he made with the release.

Jarhead0331

What I really want is Space and planetary conquest on epic scale.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Quote from: bobarossa on October 20, 2020, 10:29:33 AM
I think Vic took a poll on what he should concentrate on next and both naval and air was on the list.  I'm guessing part of a DLC depending on how much money he made with the release.

I hope not. The game desperately needs better feedback for management and UI improvements once it is debugged. I can live without air and naval forever if need be. The game scope as-is is awesome already. Given the range of possible atmospheric compositions and densities and the range of gravities possible, discrete air elements seem kind of dumb. Maybe just a die roll modifier would make more sense on some planets.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

jamus34

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 20, 2020, 10:34:32 AM

That sounds good too but I don't know how it would work in the scope of the current game.

Does the planet building / takeover aspects get pared down once you reach extra planetary travel tech? Do you keep it to make a really long game. How do you run simultaneous turns on multiple planets?

I love the concept but I have concerns on being able to execute effectively. Do you go the Spore route that each level of hierarchical growth shaved off some of the minutia and expand the grand strategy elements?

Or design a unique solution?

Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jamus34 on October 20, 2020, 11:02:21 AM

That sounds good too but I don't know how it would work in the scope of the current game.

Does the planet building / takeover aspects get pared down once you reach extra planetary travel tech? Do you keep it to make a really long game. How do you run simultaneous turns on multiple planets?

I love the concept but I have concerns on being able to execute effectively. Do you go the Spore route that each level of hierarchical growth shaved off some of the minutia and expand the grand strategy elements?

I would like to see it done in the manner EotFS handled it. I'm shocked that so few if any games since have really tried this. You have a strategic layer that has a map with "X" number of planets on it separated by space lanes. Fleets move between planets and can transport military units from planet to planet. Units land on planets at which point the tactical layer is revealed where units move, fight, and take over cities and centers of production and mining. Players can move seamlessly between the strategic galaxy layer and the tactical layer of each planet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bobarossa

Quote from: solops on October 20, 2020, 10:44:25 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on October 20, 2020, 10:29:33 AM

I hope not. The game desperately needs better feedback for management and UI improvements once it is debugged. I can live without air and naval forever if need be. The game scope as-is is awesome already. Given the range of possible atmospheric compositions and densities and the range of gravities possible, discrete air elements seem kind of dumb. Maybe just a die roll modifier would make more sense on some planets.
Sorry I was unclear.  They were on the list of options to be voted on.  Don't know what came out on top.

solops

I went and looked at the poll results. I am in the minority.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

MOS:96B2P

I don't have the game yet.  I'm waiting for it to release on Steam and giving the developer time to work out bugs etc.  For now I'm reading the manual and watching U-Tube videos.  I copied the below from the manual as I thought it was kind of interesting & funny.  Similar to a Gold Standard the game has an Energy Standard.  They put some thought into this game. 

5.1.9.9. CREDITS (CR)
This is the monetary unit used in Shadow Empire. It is actually Liquid Energy kept inside a metallic container in the form of a coin or (with larger denominations) a bar. It also includes derivatives and paper money claims on Liquid Energy. The game abstracts all this for you and a Credit is just a Credit as far as you are concerned. The amount of Credits in circulation varies due to inflation or deflation and scavenging. You use Credits to pay Leaders, Workers, recruit Soldiers and Colonists, to trade and do Diplomacy.

FarAway Sooner

So...  Any reason I shouldn't go ahead and take the plunge on my Matrix 50% discount (expires on 11/30) for this title?  I figure I'll buy on Black Friday, just in case it goes on sale.

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 20, 2020, 11:08:43 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on October 20, 2020, 11:02:21 AM

I would like to see it done in the manner EotFS handled it. I'm shocked that so few if any games since have really tried this. You have a strategic layer that has a map with "X" number of planets on it separated by space lanes. Fleets move between planets and can transport military units from planet to planet. Units land on planets at which point the tactical layer is revealed where units move, fight, and take over cities and centers of production and mining. Players can move seamlessly between the strategic galaxy layer and the tactical layer of each planet.

Late to the party (as always :P), but what you describe reminds me of good ol' Star General.

MOS:96B2P

jamus34

What is this moistening I am feeling in my loins???
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Looks like it's available as a Beta patch.  They're looking for people to play test the air units for them. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on November 13, 2020, 03:47:02 PM
JH can diagnose.

What!? You're like the loin moistening God.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog