Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Well done LF.  I enjoyed the video.  I didn't realize the map wraps around because I never got far enough into a campaign to notice it.  Is it an option you can turn on and off?

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on December 25, 2020, 08:51:19 PM

The game makes automatically screenshots at the beginning and end of every turn.

Interesting game and video. 

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Rayfer on December 26, 2020, 10:02:15 AM
Well done LF.  I enjoyed the video.  I didn't realize the map wraps around because I never got far enough into a campaign to notice it.  Is it an option you can turn on and off?

No, you always play on a whole planet, and whatever the flat-earthers are saying, planets are round.

(but considering the situation at the poles, I wonder if Vic is a bit of a flat-earther himself  :idiot2:

Jarhead0331

I still wish there was some space or interstellar component to this game. With this added, I feel like it would be truly epic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 26, 2020, 10:50:40 AM
I still wish there was some space or interstellar component to this game. With this added, I feel like it would be truly epic.
Can you say "DLC"? Actually, the game is such that I cannot imagine ever being to play a that kind of campaign, time-wise, even if the space portion was severely abbreviated like in Rising Sun's. An accompanying space campaign of similar depth would be impossible to play.....the space portion AND multiple planetary wars!!??

Edit - "Fading Suns"
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

airboy

I don't think that is feasible.  The current game is very, very long.  Even on a small planet on the easiest settings, it takes an extremely long time to achieve victory.  Adding a space aspect to the game would make it even longer.

solops

Quote from: airboy on December 26, 2020, 12:59:42 PM

I don't think that is feasible.  The current game is very, very long.  Even on a small planet on the easiest settings, it takes an extremely long time to achieve victory.  Adding a space aspect to the game would make it even longer.
+1
That said, I AM Retired and I WOULD attempt to play such an epic beast :)
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on December 26, 2020, 01:48:54 PM
Quote from: airboy on December 26, 2020, 12:59:42 PM

+1
That said, I AM Retired and I WOULD attempt to play such an epic beast :)

If WWII can be played in one day turns, someone can come up with a balanced way to accomplish this. It wouldn't be that much different from EotFS, and Hollistic figured out that formula 25 years ago.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

FarAway Sooner

Are you talking about an "orbital" or "satellite" field of play to introduce an off-planet aspect to the game?  Or making it into a true interstellar 4x?

While I get the appeal of both pieces, the latter approach simply wouldn't work for this game system.  But, before I disagree further, I want to make sure I understand what the proposal is?

Jarhead0331

I'm talking about a game where the player can discover or research tech to get back into the stars and try to reforge the old empire that was destroyed in the war. I'm not saying it would be simple. I'm not saying it would be for everyone, but it is certainly possible. I don't see what is so verboten about being able to rediscover space faring technology that would allow the player to land troops on other worlds and conquer them.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 26, 2020, 05:10:54 PM
I'm talking about a game where the player can discover or research tech to get back into the stars and try to reforge the old empire that was destroyed in the war. I'm not saying it would be simple. I'm not saying it would be for everyone, but it is certainly possible. I don't see what is so verboten about being able to rediscover space faring technology that would allow the player to land troops on other worlds and conquer them.
Oh, I agree. It would be totally cool and epic. I just don't think I would live long enough to get very far in a campaign at the current level of detail. But it would be awesome.

Fetrik

I think that once you controlled one planet your next conquest would likely be sent every possible reinforment available from off world. Which would in many cases make that a stomp once you had secured a foothold. On top of that you would already have done all the research for the best units.

The same issues that trouble a late game TW campaign would be an issue here. While such a campaign is certainly
feasible,  is it desireable by any but a logistics genius?

I'm only halfway through the manual right now and i haven't played the game yet. Dastactics current series on YouTube convinced me to buy the game.

solops

Large empire, multiple offensive and defensive planetary wars plus space naval ops... WOW!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Fetrik on December 27, 2020, 01:12:39 AM
I think that once you controlled one planet your next conquest would likely be sent every possible reinforment available from off world. Which would in many cases make that a stomp once you had secured a foothold. On top of that you would already have done all the research for the best units.

The same issues that trouble a late game TW campaign would be an issue here. While such a campaign is certainly
feasible,  is it desireable by any but a logistics genius?

I'm only halfway through the manual right now and i haven't played the game yet. Dastactics current series on YouTube convinced me to buy the game.

But the AI opponents would be researching too, and some of them would be striving to get to the stars and reforge a new interstellar empire as well...so ideally, you'd have to worry about fortifying your own worlds.

Logistics would be tough, but no tougher than it is in a game like, say Aurora...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Fetrik

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 27, 2020, 10:29:30 AM

But the AI opponents would be researching too, and some of them would be striving to get to the stars and reforge a new interstellar empire as well...so ideally, you'd have to worry about fortifying your own worlds.

Logistics would be tough, but no tougher than it is in a game like, say Aurora...

Exactly! Current endturn times multiplied by number of planets. I'm just imagining like having to take a turn on 12 different planets in a struggle to hold on or conquer every turn.  Progress would be sloooow.
But for the people who want that it must sound a dream come true. I'm do think the idea sound really cool, just not very enjoyable for most people.

*Crap* When editing to shorten Jarhead's quote i managed to make my reply seem like a quote too... *ops*