Halloween

Started by besilarius, September 10, 2019, 05:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

An excellent content-comparison of the twelve most direct attempts at adapting Dracula (the original novel) to film or tv!

The top three were what I expected, and glad to see the first place was what I expected, too!  :smitten: Several surprises along the way, including attempts I didn't know about.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

My favorite is Gary Oldman from Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula, 1992.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Cop's isn't my favorite, but it ranks up there.

It helps that I really like Saberhagen's Dracula novels (in principle, not always in practice all the time, but the 'Drac' material itself in those novels is always solid), and he was brought in as a consultant or something on this one. I'd like to see Prime take a shot at adapting those novels.

I don't want to spoil the analysis, but I think you'll appreciate it if you haven't watched yet.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

Oldman's Drac was pretty lame.  L:-)    I liked Luke Evans in "Dracula Untold" better where he became Dracula and then wiped-out the whole Ottoman army by himself. That was more fun.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 23, 2019, 10:02:32 AM
Oldman's Drac was pretty lame.  L:-)    I liked Luke Evans in "Dracula Untold" better where he became Dracula and then wiped-out the whole Ottoman army by himself. That was more fun.

Oldman's Drac per se had some problems, but the story features a lot of beats from the book, which I appreciate, and looks crazy-awesome. (Sometimes more crazy than awesome.)

I reaaaally like that Untold film! Too bad it flopped (and I didn't help, I believed the reviews and didn't go see it.) 89 minutes including credits, fast paced Marvel(ish) Dracula origin, owing a few things to the recent Castlevania games.

Relatedly, I was expecting the MCU to go with Dracula in the past few years, once the "Darkhold" book turned up as a plot item in Agents of Shield (normally connected to both Dr. Strange and Dracula). We'll see with their MCU version of Blade, perhaps.

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, Mike and Jay from Red Letter Media both just unironically love Exorcist III !

And after watching their extended review, I can see why! (Never watched it or the original myself, just seen snippets.)

Gusington

A few things - not liking Gary Oldman's Dracula is lame.

Exorcist III is probably the most underrated horror film of all time. It contains one of the most frightening scenes ever. And George C. Scott for chrissake.

And if you enjoyed Bram Stoker's book, pick up his great grandson's book Dracul - I read it last year and it is very good.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Exorcist 3 is excellent and Scott superb in it. Scared the crap out of me first time I saw it and a couple of times after that. I know the scene your talking about Gus, maybe the best horror scene EVER.  :hide:   It is better if you've seen The Exorcist first though.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Just released a few days ago, Butch Patrick (the original Eddie Munster) gives a nice little biography of his screen-mom Yvonne de Carlo (Lily Munster):

I had totally forgotten she was Zipporah, Moses' wife, in the Ten Commandments!

airboy

We are doing Halloween Horror Nights at Universal tonight.  Did this once before and it was impressive.

Sir Slash

What's really scary is the prices there.  :hide:

JasonPratt

Worked quite a bit today on a nice demo video of Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves (free on Steam since 2017 for reasons I don't understand, but well worth its original asking price).

Should have it ready by Friday morning or afternoon!

RommelFox

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 23, 2019, 02:12:39 PM
Just released a few days ago, Butch Patrick (the original Eddie Munster) gives a nice little biography of his screen-mom Yvonne de Carlo (Lily Munster)

I had totally forgotten she was Zipporah, Moses' wife, in the Ten Commandments!

Thanks for sharing!  I loved the Munsters as a kid and still do to this day.  I didn't realize she was in the Ten Commandments or friends with John Wayne!
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

RommelFox

I really enjoyed this one.  The acting and aesthetics are great!   O0
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs