Vietnam 1965-1975

Started by rstites25, June 23, 2017, 10:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drep

No breakdowns needed for the NLF

rstites25

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 03, 2017, 02:17:48 PM
Someone made a scan of the rules some years ago for Boardgamegeek, but for some reason the pdf isn't linked at or saved to BGG. It's at a mediafire link, and unnamed (or numbernamed rather) to avoid copyright strikes I guess. I've scanned it with a recently (today) upgraded Avast without seeing problems, and BGG members have been using it for years without reporting problems. Last accessed that I know of, before me this afternoon, earlier this year.

The scan looks complete to me -- some rulebooks got printed with part of the final pages unprinted near the bottom -- so I could attach it here I suppose, if that seems right?

I don't see any reason not to post the rules. The game has been out of print for 30+ years at this point, and I don't think there's any talk about a new edition (and if there were a new edition published, I'd guess that it wouldn't be a straight reprint anyway).

rstites25

I took care of declaring my patrol/hold mission--pretty easy given all the ineffective SVN that I'd want to put on such missions...

Over to you to do the same, Dan.

drep

Hold and Patrols assigned. Back to you for strat movement

JasonPratt

Okay, let's see if this is small enough to post as one pdf.

If any ad/mods have problems, obviously delete this entry pronto! (Or drop me a line and I'll take off the pdf.)

...rats, it's too big at over 5Meg, individual size can't be more than 3 Megs. I shall have to consider how to split it, or reformat perhaps.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

rstites25

I took my strat movement. I tried to order things to minimize the impact of any reaction move.

I moved a couple of units from Hue to the NW that triggered possible reaction.

A couple of units from Qui Nhon to the south that triggered reaction.

From Khanh Hoa to the south.

A unit from Saigon to the NW.

From the Phong Dinh stack to 1) The NW in An Giang and 2) to the W in Kien Giang.

And from the Dinh Tuong stack to the south.

There's a logfile as well, obviously. That's all I'm going to do with strat move (I can't see any reaction changing that). So  you can decide who wants to carry out the first op.

drep

Did you want to do any security operations?

rstites25

Ah! That's what I was missing! I remembered making attacks during the strat movement segment when I soloed it, but today when I was looking at the strat movement rules, I convinced myself that I had played it wrong previously. I forgot that security operations were included in the strat movement phase. I'll have to look at the map again. Let's assume that any security ops would be after the strat moves I've already done, so if you have any reactions to those, go ahead and take them.

That begs the question, maybe. Is strat move a single operation for all units so moving, or is it an operation per unit? Per stack? I had been treating it as each stack had an implicit target hex, and that constituted a single operation. But now I'm thinking that strat movement is any/all units that want to be declared at once and then there's reaction movement after they've all moved. That would certainly make PBEM easier.

drep

I'm not seeing any reaction moves. I was pondering whether Saigon Ghia Dinh counts as a Corps boundary for the ineffective ARVN strat moves, but I'm fine with just letting that be for now and maybe finding the answer later.

As for the Strat Move being a "everybody at once" operation or a series of individual operations, I'd lean heavily to the latter. The use of the word immediately for the timing of the reaction move in the section 5.3, along with the mention of how a unit can react an unlimited number of times makes me think that. Reaction moves could really be gamed to ping-pong across the map if all of the strat moves were known at one time. In a face-to-face game, treating each move individually with regards to reaction would just seem natural to me.

That said, I'm fine with streamlining things for PBEM and going all at once since we're here for the experience. I'll track when/how I would react to a strat move in the moment while looking through the logfile and if that ends up muddling future strat moves in the logfile we can deal with that when they come up. If there's a moment when my reaction changes how you would do further strat moves, I think we can handle that when it comes up as well.

I'm ready for security operations on your part if you are. And if you see further strat moves after some or all of your security ops, that's fine as well.

rstites25

I think you're 100% correct on reaction. I was just looking at the rules defining the operations, without looking at the specific rules on reaction. I *think* any number of units could be moved using strategic movement in the same strat movement operation (irrelevant for this phase, but for strat move during the actual turn, it could be important). But that distinction is irrelevant for reaction, since reaction is triggered when a unit/stack ends its movement.

After looking at the strat rules + ineffective units rules closer, I realized that one unit ended in a hex it couldn't end in, so it just put it back where it started.

I'm not sure on the Saigon special zone either. I could go either way, but I think the those couple of moves were probably illegal...so I'll put them back as well.

I started out with a Security Operation from Qui Nhon to Song Cau. I allocated 5 air to the mission to use in support of the combat. I thought there might be some way for me to resolve the combat without having to have the unit revealed, but I can't see a way to do that, so you'll have to reveal your unit before combat can continue.

drep

I was thinking when I placed these units in towns I could Alert and disperse, but that's not possible with Security operations. The unit is a 1 0 6 VC Battalion.  If it somehow only takes one loss, I'l burn a RP and keep the unit.

rstites25

With there being no free fire, my artillery/air only gave me 5 strength to add to your 1 strength for purposes of losses, there was only about a 1/3 chance of you sustaining a losses sufficient to eliminate the unit. It ended up being 0 attacker/1 defender losses, with 1 air point lost. You have a retreat--or you can stand and fight. I can't actually manipulate your unit in VASSAL, but if you let me know your intention, I can keep going and we can move your counters accordingly later.

drep

I'll stand and fight another round.

rstites25

Round 2 was 0/1 attacker/defender losses. Go again? Retreat? Eliminate the unit?

drep

I'll burn another RP since I have at least 40 too many