Blood Red Skies digital

Started by Zulu1966, January 22, 2021, 12:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I have played the tabletop minis game a few times.  It didn't really resonate with me.  The rules felt a little too simple, abstracted, and gamey for me.  There is a LOT of dice chucking and the weird way you would tilt the mini's stand forward or back to indicate advantage or disadvantage just seemed odd and out of place to me.

I was hopeful that the digital version of Check Your Six would be fun as I like the tabletop rules but, to me, the digital version felt like it missed the mark.  I hope I'm wrong about BRS but I'm not expecting much.

Gusington

Reminds me of Sid Meier's Ace Patrol games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

I've yet to see a WW II dogfighting game that mimics one of the most nuanced aspects of WW II:  The fact that, whenever a German fighter pilot shot at an enemy plane, so long as another pilot supported the claim that he hit it, he'd get credit for a kill!

OK, snarkiness at the dysfunction of German High Command aside, the game looks interesting.  I enjoyed the Sid Meier's games that Gus mentioned, although I found the boards to be too small to really give even a vaguely satisfying replay of The Air War.  Ah well, it was much more of a game than a simulation...

Father Ted

I realise I'm being a bit arsey here, but this is the sort of game I would have played before computers had developed enough to allow me to actually do the "flying" myself.  To my mind if you want to simulate air combat these days, you jump into WoFF, RoF, BoX or DCS, or even Warthunder.

Boggit

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 25, 2021, 04:59:25 PM
I've yet to see a WW II dogfighting game that mimics one of the most nuanced aspects of WW II:  The fact that, whenever a German fighter pilot shot at an enemy plane, so long as another pilot supported the claim that he hit it, he'd get credit for a kill!

OK, snarkiness at the dysfunction of German High Command aside, the game looks interesting.  I enjoyed the Sid Meier's games that Gus mentioned, although I found the boards to be too small to really give even a vaguely satisfying replay of The Air War.  Ah well, it was much more of a game than a simulation...
I know they are old games and the graphics awful, but Achtung Spitfire! and Over the Reich are still outstanding turn based games with a lot more depth than the Sid Meier games or Slitherines "On your 6".

I remember a while back the game Bloody April was being developed as an air combat campaign. Did it ever see the light of day?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Father Ted on January 25, 2021, 05:38:37 PM
I realise I'm being a bit arsey here, but this is the sort of game I would have played before computers had developed enough to allow me to actually do the "flying" myself.  To my mind if you want to simulate air combat these days, you jump into WoFF, RoF, BoX or DCS, or even Warthunder.
For flight sims, the IL 6 Sturmovik series is also quite good. I got IL 6 Sturmovik 1946 quite cheaply on Steam, but their other iterations seem bloody expensive, even if they are nicely detailed.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Father Ted

Quote from: Boggit on February 01, 2021, 11:38:31 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on January 25, 2021, 05:38:37 PM
For flight sims, the IL 6 Sturmovik series is also quite good. I got IL 6 Sturmovik 1946 quite cheaply on Steam, but their other iterations seem bloody expensive, even if they are nicely detailed.

IL2 46 is still definitely worth the money - especially if you mod it to include a huge number of theatres and planes.  Il2: Battle of Stalingrad often goes on sale for £6, so it's possible to take a look at that for a reasonable price, too.

Philistine

Quote from: Boggit on February 01, 2021, 11:36:11 PM
I know they are old games and the graphics awful, but Achtung Spitfire! and Over the Reich are still outstanding turn based games with a lot more depth than the Sid Meier games or Slitherines "On your 6"

I loved those games.  And still don't mind the graphics.  Can you get them to work on Windows 10?  Getting them working in Windows 7 was a bit of a hassle, as i recall, and I haven't tried to reinstall them since I finally "upgraded" to Win 10.

--Philistine