Combat Mission newest releases

Started by Michael Dorosh, January 02, 2021, 11:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Yes but VERY dated by now. Still a great older game as are all the original CM games. The last time my computer took a dump, I fished-out an older cousin lying around and CMAK was on it and a few turns into an old campaign brought back golden memories. But I don't think I could go back there permanently.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I missed out on these games when they were new :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Don't fret. Cause CMx2 looks a lot better and certainly is the same in spirit. Just a little different, but without previous experience with the games I'd say go jump in !
It's definitely a unique (albeit rather hardcore) tactical game.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

al_infierno

I started with CMx2 and never really got into the x1 games when I picked them up.  I'm big on infantry tactics in these games and the infantry aspect of those older games leave a lot to be desired.  IIRC squads are abstracted to 2 or 3 men, ASL-style.  I put a couple hours into Barbarossa to Berlin for "nostalgia" value, and because Red Thunder doesn't have nearly the same breadth of scenarios, but pretty quickly I found myself wanting to go back to the updated titles.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Redwolf

The most annoying aging thing about CMBB (all CMx1) is the low maximum screen resolution. Today's computers would have the power to run at 4k or whatever, but there was an arbitrary decision to limit it.

Elvis

CM Black Sea is now on Steam. Anyone who currently owns it and wants it on Steam you can get a Steam key at no charge here (the same thing that we did for CMSF2):

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=93585

EDIT: Oops.....I hadn't looked to see that there was already a thread about it. Carry on.

al_infierno

Fear the blue line of impending doom.... (not my video but pretty amusing)

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

IICptMillerII

Just a heads up, Fire and Rubble (the module for CMRT) was just put up for pre-orders this evening!

https://www.battlefront.com/red-thunder/cmrt-fire-and-rubble-module/

al_infierno

:smitten:

I notice there's no estimated release date this time.  Probably for the better, as amusing as the constant delays tended to be.

- MengJiao

IICptMillerII

They say the rule of thumb is 4-6 weeks after they announce the pre-order. So maybe the end of February, beginning of March is a safe bet? Of course, anything could happen.

al_infierno

My only experience with pre-ordering from BF was the Rome to Italy expansion and that really soured me on the whole idea. 

- MengJiao

IICptMillerII

Yeah I feel you. That was a hell of a delay. Reworking the older TO&E code, adding in all the new factions, and a few other behind the scenes hiccups led to those delays. Trust me, BFC was just as upset about them as the rest of us were. But, it did eventually come out. I know they were holding off on putting out the pre-order for Fire and Rubble until they knew they were close to release, to avoid the issue with R2V, so it is probably the safer bet to assume that at the least the wait will not be as long.

I can say that F&R will absolutely be worth the wait, especially for those who are Eastern Front fanatics and for those who are hoping for a much more fleshed out CMRT in general. Plus, it brings with it the final infantry behavior tweaks, which is another big plus. And there is more good stuff from BFC to come as well.

Grim.Reaper

Learned my lessons with the other releases on release timings and how things get communicated leading up to it so see no need to pre order, especially for digital orders without any discounts.  Just better to not think about it and when it shows up, I'll consider it a good day as I am sure I'll buy it at some point though since I own everything they put out even if I don't play it as much as I should.

Yskonyn

Same here.
Fire and Rubble does look great though. So when they release it I am going to purchase immediately. Just don't see the point for pre-orders, unless you have the money now and want to pull the trigger early anyway.
Shrug.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Boggit

Fire and Rubble looks great. I hope we don't have to wait too long for this gem. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat