My Trumpeter 1/35 Challenger II

Started by JudgeDredd, February 10, 2013, 09:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I could be wrong but it looks like the Boxcar Red one is already in a small spray can under pressure:

http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/FLOF130074-GP_2

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

no worries, floquil comes in spray cans.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Well - I've been putting this off for ages now.

The sand colour I bought and tried (shown in the picks) wasn't the correct colour. I had also purchased a yellow and I was pretty sure that was too yellow.

Today I decided to just paint it normal Western Europe Camo (green and black) - and having started that - I wasn't too keen on that either - so I've ordered a Pale Stone colour. That's the last one I'm going with. As soon as I get that, I'm back in the modelling seat.

I'm not into paint mixing so I wasn't up for toning down the yellow I had with white - which I could've done - but then there' the worry about not making enough, having to mix more, getting the econd mix wrong etc, etc

Pale Stone is what I'm going with. If that doesn't work, then I'm back to the green and black and that's it.

I've never bothered with hangups on paint before - I'm surprised I'm letting this bother me. In the past, I would've used the yellow!
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

dont worry about the colors.  any color can be modified with filter washes (very very thinned down paint) or weathering and mud.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

undercovergeek

white dwarf this month ahs an issue on spray guns - for those painting models with one base colour - blood nagels/imperial fists - the guy finished 10 in like 5 mins - admittedly theres shading and detail and washing but 10 space marines base coated in their armour colours in minutes - so very nearlly tipping to a purchase!

JudgeDredd

wow. I am mightily bored with this. Totally uninspired.

After failing on colour choice I gave it a go anyway...turned out it looked like a "pinky" from WWII...not the right colour at all. I then decided to just do it in Western European camo....so I repainted the bits I had painted...and hated the look.

I then bought what actually looks like a decent colour. I re-painted the re-painted green bits (third time!)...and those needed another coat. So I've just gave them another coat (4th time!!) and I am very, very bored. The paint seems to have thickened and is going on really horribly. I'm really not happy with the look at all.

I have to say my first foray into AFV's has not been my best experience and so far it seems like I might not be bothered to finish this one...nevermind revisit the AFV modelling world.  :(

Sorry - but this may not get finished.
Alba gu' brath

Tuna

Sorry JD.. it happens sometimes.. no reason to give up on Armor though  8)

JudgeDredd

Well...I was bored the other day - but I'm sure I'll stick as it. The Challenger II is a beautiful AFV - I can't not finish it. I was just so bored with painting wheels the other day - 4 times and 8 coats! Same with the base.

Doing armour actually has shown me this would be a lot easier if I had a spray gun...maybe this year?
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 25, 2013, 01:26:08 AM
Well...I was bored the other day - but I'm sure I'll stick as it. The Challenger II is a beautiful AFV - I can't not finish it. I was just so bored with painting wheels the other day - 4 times and 8 coats! Same with the base.

Doing armour actually has shown me this would be a lot easier if I had a spray gun...maybe this year?

You can buy spray cans of base coat. Tamiya paints are awesome. A bit pricey, but very much awesome if you don't have an airbrush.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

if you can find them use Floquil spray cans.  theyre made for small scale train models and the pigments are ground really fine so the paint scales better.

JudgeDredd

I guess as this has found a new home I should update it.

Here's the pics of the progress...

Alba gu' brath

GJK

I'd paint that King Tiger sort of a gray like the Germans did for all of their other tanks, ya know?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

lol

I will defo make a WII tank - just for you GJK!
Alba gu' brath

GJK

I'll post some pics of that 1:72 Abrams kit that I got.  The hull and turret piece look almost identical (I think).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer