The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Looks like some sales starting to happen, bunch here amazon.  Nothing overly interesting for me, but maybe for others.

The onslaught of sales begins:)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000716161_pglink_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000716161&plgroup=1&plpage=1

Gusington

Some gems in there, but a lot with 1-2 stars too. Never even heard of the Victorian Admirals series...but I think I know why.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on November 18, 2012, 07:40:01 PM
Some gems in there, but a lot with 1-2 stars too. Never even heard of the Victorian Admirals series...but I think I know why.

Bismarck did a review a while back IIRC. The games are all tactical.

How are the Brothers in Arms games?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 18, 2012, 08:01:28 PM

I really enjoyed them when they came out...can't go wrong for a couple of dollars.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 18, 2012, 08:01:28 PM

Pretty decent. Note that the third one, Hell's Highway, is a lot different from the first two. The first two were about moving a few units around to flank and take out enemies (as well as being an FPS). The third one had that but was much more straight up action oriented.

the second one (Earned in Blood) might have been the best. It was also hard as Hell in places because the AI was aggressive about flanking and chucking grenades.

Bismarck

The whole series that includes Victorian Admirals cover an otherwise neglected niche. I have nits to pick but, on the whole, they're very good.
Jim Cobb

Nefaro

Bismarck enjoys them, but as a dissenting voice I'll add a couple big complaints I have. 

You don't do anything but navigate a few lead ships.  It still tends to keep you busy since you issue a rudder turn & set the speed on the lead ship of each line and have to cycle between the groups.  But it's all about jockeying the helm to keep a decent position.  Everything else is run by the AI and feedback is very sparse, even.

While it has a campaign, it's just a series of point-buy battles with carryover, in open seas, and you only have about 5-6 ship classes to choose from. 

I felt like they could've really had an interesting system if they would've taken the first turn-based game they released, set during the american civil war, and expanded upon that system with more detail (and lower the turn scale regarding time as that was the big complaint about it).  Instead the devs changed the game into a real-time game where you set steering orders and watch the very slow action being carried out by the AI.

It's unique in that it covers late 19th century naval warfare.  But be warned that the gameplay, notably in the real-time versions, can be very slow and uninvolving.  :-\

Nefaro

I see Armada 2526 Gold is something like $6. 

They have a lot of older stuff for dirt cheap, so it's worth the time to dig through to see if there may be anything your game hording rear missed, before.  :P

Does anyone still play the original Red Orchestra ($2.49)?  I think I saw it on the Steam Grogerry groups' multiplayer vote, so wondered if the whole community around that oldie moved on to RO2 yet.

Gusington

^ Yeah it's RO1 we are thinking about for MP.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Gamersgate just tossed up some of their first Thanksgiving sale stuff.

Torchlight 2 for 25% off, Fallen Enchantress 33% off, WK40K Space Marine 75% off, etc etc

Make me wonder if I can actually check out there yet..   >:(

Bismarck

Quote from: Nefaro on November 19, 2012, 07:23:19 AM
Bismarck enjoys them, but as a dissenting voice I'll add a couple big complaints I have. 

You don't do anything but navigate a few lead ships.  It still tends to keep you busy since you issue a rudder turn & set the speed on the lead ship of each line and have to cycle between the groups.  But it's all about jockeying the helm to keep a decent position.  Everything else is run by the AI and feedback is very sparse, even.

While it has a campaign, it's just a series of point-buy battles with carryover, in open seas, and you only have about 5-6 ship classes to choose from. 

I felt like they could've really had an interesting system if they would've taken the first turn-based game they released, set during the american civil war, and expanded upon that system with more detail (and lower the turn scale regarding time as that was the big complaint about it).  Instead the devs changed the game into a real-time game where you set steering orders and watch the very slow action being carried out by the AI.

It's unique in that it covers late 19th century naval warfare.  But be warned that the gameplay, notably in the real-time versions, can be very slow and uninvolving.  :-\

A turn-based system wouldn't work without a defensive fire option for the non-phasing side. Following the lead ship was how it was done, even into 1944. You want a fantasy game?
Jim Cobb

Nefaro

Quote from: Bismarck on November 19, 2012, 11:48:40 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 19, 2012, 07:23:19 AM

A turn-based system wouldn't work without a defensive fire option for the non-phasing side. Following the lead ship was how it was done, even into 1944. You want a fantasy game?

Did I mention that the turn-based one was perfect?  They needed to fix it up & expand it, which includes improving the TBS mechanics. 

Turning it into a real-time wargame of steering was the wrong way to go IMO.   Now we're just jockeying the wheel and the engine telegraph.  :-[

Fortunately the Steam & Iron system will likely go pre-WWI eras sometime in the future so it will probably encompass some of the later 19th century vessels.

Tuna

RO. 1 has a great mod that comes with it, Darkest Hour. It let's you battle on the Western Front.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on November 19, 2012, 12:28:07 PM
RO. 1 has a great mod that comes with it, Darkest Hour. It let's you battle on the Western Front.

I was just wondering if the overall multiplayer population was still pretty decent since RO2 has also been out for awhile now.  Did a lot of them jump ship to the new one?  It would suck to pick up the oldie (RO1) to find that there are only a couple servers booming at any time and only full of cheating hacks.

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on November 19, 2012, 01:52:27 PM
Quote from: Tuna on November 19, 2012, 12:28:07 PM

I was just wondering if the overall multiplayer population was still pretty decent since RO2 has also been out for awhile now.  Did a lot of them jump ship to the new one?  It would suck to pick up the oldie (RO1) to find that there are only a couple servers booming at any time and only full of cheating hacks.

I don't know who is playing RO1. RO2 heavily outsold RO1 but in my informal conversations with RO1 vets it just didn't really scratch our itch. It had all the right parts but they didn't come together as well. I *suspect* it is the map size. RO1 had relatively tiny maps. RO2 had huge spaces. More often than not you'd get shot without ever seeing your opponent. RO2 could be a better game if you can get real squad-like tactics: smoke placed well, coordinated movement. But I never felt I got a good handle on RO2 other than camping and waiting for someone to cross your field of fire. Might be realistic, but far less fun.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.