Main Menu

2016 Baseball Thread

Started by Bison, January 06, 2016, 11:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well the Royal finished an impressive .500 for the season.  Lord knows they need to do a bunch of retooling this off season, but right now there are so many holes to fill in the roster it seems a daunting task.  I just hope they cut Soria that guy lost at least 10 games this season all by himself. The worst off season signing by far.

Anyway the on the bright side, I can now cheer for the Tribe to take home the title and keep it in the AL Central.

bayonetbrant

I love this anecdote from the LA Times retrospective piece on Vin Scully

QuoteMore than 85% of the nation's population was born after Scully began calling ballgames.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

Go O's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Bison

Quote from: Marty Ward on October 04, 2016, 03:18:11 PM
Go O's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be cheering for Orioles tonight.  I would think that playing Toronto in Toronto is bad match up, but fortunately for Baltimore the Jays are starting Stroman.  So this game should be an exciting toss up.

Arctic Blast

BOOM! Love me some Edwin.  :)

Marty Ward

Ahhhh. It always seems to come down to 1 pitch.

Oh well for a team picked to finish last in their division I can't complain about the O's season. They are fun and frustrating to watch. Come on Spring Training!
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Bison

Bison

Wow...Familia gave up the long ball to end the Mets season.  If I were a Cubs fan, I'd be very concerned we are playing the Giants next.

bayonetbrant

don't remember if I shared this originally, but it popped up again today

totally worth reading
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/10/1/6872411/thirteen-ways-of-looking-at-greg-maddux
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Thinking about the pitching on the Braves teams of the 90's, it's really stunning they didn't win more World Series.

bayonetbrant

They made it to what, 4 in all those years of great pitching?

91 they lost one of the best series of all time
95 they won
96 they lost to the start of the Yankees dynasty
99 again to Yankees

(just looked at Wikipedia... I forgot about 92...)

So they had 5 during a 14 year stretch when they had at least 2 of Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz in the rotation

Bison

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on October 06, 2016, 06:57:07 AM
Thinking about the pitching on the Braves teams of the 90's, it's really stunning they didn't win more World Series.

They won the division 14 years in a row. That is pretty damn impressive, like the Pats winning theirs 14 out of 15 years except the Braves actually had competition within the division :)

bayonetbrant

yeah, and you're right - it's a surprise they didn't win more, like '92 or '99.

No way anyone was beating the '98 Yankees, but weren't the Braves up 2-0 on the '96 Yankess?

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob