The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 - Into Africa! (No Berto!)

Started by Crossroads, October 03, 2015, 03:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #7 - Replay and Friendly Artillery Phase

Back at home after a little trip, and what better way to celebrate it than opening up the email and seeing a new turn having arrived from berto!

Watching replay sees Egyptian with more units arriving to front. So he is not pulling back, but attempting to blunt my attack right here and now. I again watch my men taking incoming artillery and losing a couple of SPs, while the enemy fire I think causes a loss too.

Then, time for my Command Report for the coming turn. I have an IP created by the Arm'd Inf platoon guarding my HQs, while my artillery will only have one tube available for next turn. The latter was bad news, just as it became a 'target rich environment'. The artillery plotting worked a treat again, only one barrage turned out to be against a hex with no hostiles arriving there.

New wreck markers, paying tribute to AIW wreck counters. Turned out beautifully, if I may say so  :smitten:

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Turn #7 - Aleph and Beth Companies

Enemy continues to block my advance on both sides of the river. Here's how it looks at the moment.

My plan for this turn was to see if I can surround and isolate his force here. If I am able to do that, especially at east of river, that's quite a blow to his men. Two rifle platoons, HMG and RCLR team out of fight would be quite a coup.

I will begin a flaning move first with Aleph Coy platoons, and will attempt at swinging to the left of the sole defending rifle platoon west of the 10VP objective marker. I've brought also my meatchoppers to close support here, but they are out of APs to make a difference this turn.

All the enemy counters are on hexes with terrain granting them with a concealment factor, so I don't see any of their Strength values.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Aleph and Beth Coys, cont'd

Again, for a little Fire and Movement move, I move my HMG team forward to fire at the enemy counter. Instead, upon entering the hex, a low lying T-54 materialises out of thin desert air and fires at them, luckily for me only causing a retreat. Dang, where did they come from!

Hmm, how to move next? Again via left, or via right with a risk of incoming op fire across the river? Too bad all my Sho't Kal troops are by the wrong side of the river!

But since there's the road, paved road for the most part, maybe there'd be just enough APs I could swing a few of them this side of river to fire at the enemy tanks? Lesse, selecting two troops, I click at Save APs for Firing, and swing them around. Drat. One hex short of firing position!

OK. If those enemy tankers remain on my LOS I will have them next turn.

Instead, I cross my fingers to not take any more Op Fire from the tanks, and move one Para platoon to surround the enemy rifle by next turn.

Crossroads

Turn #7 - Gimel Company

Time to capture the unit defending the bridge hex then! First, it's route of retreat to east of river needs to be blocked, so I move and Beth platoon to its rear. There's quite intese Op Fire from the stack one hex to North, underneath that truck counter. I take a Disruption but no losses. Not too bad!

Time to bring in my Arm'd Engineers to assault the disrupted rifle counter then. Assault! No result. No APs for another one.

Two times lucky so I then bring one Para platoon and the Bde Leader to overcome them. Assault! No result on the enemy, again.
This turn is not going that great at all  :(

As a final attempt at them, and sort of assuming this will not end in capture but a retreat as the route to North is open, I assault the third time from South. A retreat it is, but now I hold the bridge at least.

Crossroads

Gimel Coy cont'd

That is a large enemy stack there, most of the Disrupted. That means low morale, and low morale is a bad news against assault. So time for one last charge then! I move the Para and Arm'd Eng platoons behind to North, so hopefully their presence will force a die roll that sees the full stack captured. That would be sweet. Maybe something decisive can be achieved by this turn yet.

Assault!

Oh man, no result to hostiles, but lost my Bde Leader KIA in the assault. That was very unlucky. Bummer. He'll be missed  :-[

That's it, then. Time to fire up that Strength Dialog to calculate what happened this turn.

Six friendly SP losses vs eight enemy SP losses. Not good. I cannot afford a war of attrition here. I am still safely in the Minor Victory category, but I have a Major Win now at my gun sights so better not loose that on foolish casualties. Yet, if I could secure the capture of that one large stack in the middle that could be a key to the success.

Better to close the turn then, to send to Berto, and to see how he counters my moves.

Crossroads

End of Israeli Turn #7

So here's how it all looks at the moment. There's the 25VP objective not that far now, with all the center Objectives with friendly flags on them.

Yet, my left flank is open. More tanks from there? I've not seen too many of them around, and I know they are somewhere there. Yet, my Centurion troops are now securely located at both sides of the river, so I should be able to counter any enemy armor movement, especially if it end in my LOS.

I am taking a calculated risk and having a really thin cover on my right flank. I am assuming the Fire Base east of Suez Canal has made berto to concentrate his forces west side of the map instead, where he enjoys free movement outside my spotters. Hmm...

So, it was not that bad VP wise after all. Kills on both sides were undecisive at best, but the capture of the center 10+20VPs swung a neat little point tally to my direction after all.

More importantly, if I can now hold my ground, those two enemy positions are in real danger of being isolated and mopped up.  :knuppel2:

And that's it for turn 7. Over to berto!

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #8

And so it continues. I receive the turn, watch the replay, witnessing just two artillery barrages from enemy as well. They are running low with their tubes too. The other barrage hits one of my Para platoons rather badly, losing SPs.

Time to hit back, then. Here's the situation in the beginning of my turn:

Observations:
- Egyptian units in danger of being isolated are pulling back now. Might not be able to create those pockets after all.
- Egyptian tanks retreated too.
- Several anti-tank teams approaching my Fire Base west of canal. LOS rules require them to stay there for one turn before LOS enabling them to fire, so I can again try to push them back first.

Crossroads

Turn #8 - Aleph, Beth and Gimel Companies

As I noted earlier, this scenario allows the Israeli player with an advantage to move in a very systematic manner against an enemy that receives reinforcements more in a piecemeal fashion. This is true again, for the 416th Para Bn companies are now advancing in a very neat order both sides of the river cutting the map in half.

Elements of Gimel Coy flanking the enemy via West...

while elements of Beth Coy do the same via East:

Enemy tanks are there, but due to the difficult terrain it seems they've used their APs in pulling back, and I take no Op Fire this time.

Crossroads

Turn #8 - Tank Action

Time to deal the threats to my armored units first. Fire Base West takes several direct firing missions against enemy ground forces, who pull back. Despite of my efforts though, they now have an established LOS to my tankers, and can fire back at the beginning of their turn. Also, I took some Op Fire when I revealed my tanks to them (as they opened fire), luckily only a Disruption:

In the East, time to deal with those enemy tanks. I don't see their Strength though, for they are not in a clear hex. This area is so full of vegetation due to irrigation that LOS remains a constant issue, as the terrain offers good concealment for staying hidden, or at least hiding unit details.

Regardless, I find a spot from the road where I can fire at them...

and the tankers report a direct hit. Damage Report, as of 1.01, will report more information, as in here reporting the enemy destroyed.

I check the Strength Dialog to check details out. One tank, it was. A leading platoon, so there must be more of them around...

Crossroads

Turn #8 - Aleph Beth Gimel Coys Cont'd

Back to infantry action then. In a classic Fire and Movement manner I bring in my meatchoppers first. The road movement allows me for a very neat shoot-and-scoot tactics, to defending Egyptians disadvantage.

No results though. Then, follow up with Paras and the HMG team and the Damage Report reports them taking casualties. I am not checking the details now though.

Instead, time to move to east side of the river to continue the push north there. In the previous pic I already had caused the forward enemy counter to retreat, so time to move on with an assault as they must be with low morale.

They escape the assault though. so having fired at the visible counters it is time to call it a day and send the turn back.

First, let us check the Strength Report now.

Friendly casualties remained low with 2 SPs of Para platoons, while the enemy lost the one tank, quite a few support teams, and a couple of rifle SPs too. Netted some 18 VPs with battle actions here.

Crossroads

End of Israeli Turn #8

Here's the overall situation come end of friendly turn #8.

I brought the IFV to keep eyes on my right flank, together with moving the HMG team a bit east as well. With the Fire Base in place, I don't expect the enemy to pull any nasty surprises there.

The left flank has friendly eyes too. The enemy tanks are somewhere there, but unless they can shoot-and-scoot I am well prepared to engage any of them remaining at my LOS.

The acting Bde Leader is now stacked with one of my disrupted Para platoon. Morale is encouragingly up to 8 now, so hopefully they recover come next turn.

I only have one battery unable to fire at the moment, but I only plot one battery of the three available. Better save the ammos for more juicy targets. I also continue to have the 2 Air Strikes to call upon.

The 25VP town fell to my troops, so I am now encouragingly over the 300 VP limit, if only just, and with Berto's countering turn remaining. There's the 50VP objective some 2 clicks up the road. If I manage to keep the losses to level with the enemy, while capturing that, I will be very near to a Major Win here. That 25VP objective in front of my Fire Base I am not interested at all. Ambush country! Better leave it to hostiles, hopefully they continue to feel threatened there, meaning there'd be forces staying there to guard the area, unavailable to protect against my main push both sides of the river in the center.

Again I feel the Egyptians might have bit of an uphill battle here. I don't know if different tactics would help them, like maybe really avoiding any contact in the opening turns, and giving ground to buy time.

A bit early to get too analytical though. It's been good fun so far, the Israeli troops have very good cohesity now, and I expect things to only get worse for the enemy now, as

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #9

And so it continues. As a reminder, don't forget to check Berto's side of the story at the Matrix AAR forums!

Time to switch back the hex grid, to make this look like a proper wargame. Replay shows me taking casualties from enemy artillery, with his units now performing a fighting retreat towards the 50VP Objective I have my eyes set on now.

I was quite concerned on the ATGM teams remaining with LOS on my Fire Base, but Berto obviously decided they are needed elsewhere, so they were pulled back too. I mentioned earlier I am not interested of that 25VP Objective at all, but since it is so neatly covered by the lurking Centurions from the opposite bank, I will send a small detachment that way too.

There were a couple of APC convoys deploying troops to that area too. Having unloaded, one of them remains in my LOS so let us see if I can do something about that. This is quite the busy terrain as mentioned, plenty of chances to hide inside those orchards and vineyards.

At the beginning of my turn #9, Berto clawed back 9VPs at the expense of my troops. So here we go again:

Crossroads

Turn #9 - Gimel Company

So let us get the operation underway. I move the Engineer team next to the deep river, in preparation for them building a Light Bridge there. It will be a 20% chance IIRC creating that, so might be a few turns before I can have it completed. To ensure they can operate without interruptions, I move one Para platoon to cover them from the north.

Again, this area is also covered by my Fire Base so I am in no hurry here. Just need to make sure there's no hostiles spotting for artillery there.

Crossroads

Turn #9 - Aleph Company

I tried to surround the enemy counter here again, but since it was not Disrupted and ripe for an assault I fired at it again, causing retreats. Two SP worth of kills were made though finally as the meatchoppers entered the fray again.

Time to deal with those APCs at a distance then. As I had information on LOS from various hexes with my forward Para platoon reconing the area, I move one of the Sho't Kal troops to engage the enemy.

They take some losses and retreat one hex back. My Centurions are now out of APs to move out, so instead I decide to risk it and bring the supporting Sho't Kal troop into same hex, saving APs for Op Fire for any enemy entering their LOS.

They have a neat LOS of the area, of course if there were already a hunting T-55 platoon there, with their Op Fire set OFF, I'd be not seeing them, while they could take all the time to hit my units come their turn. Feels a bit like Recon-by-death here, but gotta take some chances every now and then to keep the momentum moving forward.

Crossroads

End of Israeli Turn #9

At this stage it is time to evaluate the battle field again. Here's my Cunning Plan, then, valid until it changes.

(1) Priority now for Aleph Coy is to push forward as quickly as possible, to secure the single Medium Bridge leading to the 50VP Objective. If Berto's deployed more troops there, and should I be able to cut their route out of the pocket surrounded from all sides by Deep River, this scenario might end right there as far as the winning conditions are set.

(2) The 25VP objective seems to be there now in the open, ready for picking. Something for the Gimel Coy to take care during the remaining length of the scenarios. Requires a successful Light Bridge creation by the Engineering team, so might take a few turns to get there.

(3) Meanwhile, Beth Coy has orders to slow down their advance, allowing the enemy to feed more troops to the 50VP pocket. The trap is closing, I hope. Let us see any mice getting caught.

And that's as far as I plan for now. Once I get there, I can either dig in and remain on a defensive for the rest of the scenario, or re-group and push on. Lesse.

Before End Turn, time to plot some artillery. My 200mm MRLs are with full tubes, but I am saving them for the bridge action to support Aleph. 155mm batteries plotted in my route of advance though.

Creating the Cunning Plan took all the mental energy I had this Sunday morning though, for I forgot to check the Strength Dialog. Regardless, 14 VPs added to my tally from the ground action alone.

Over to you Berto!