The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 - Into Africa! (No Berto!)

Started by Crossroads, October 03, 2015, 03:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #10

Berto was quickly bouncing the turn back to me. As for my Cunning Plan, trouble ahead!

Berto obviously identified the little town sitting next to the bridges being vital ground, so he reinforced it with what probably is two full Arm'd Inf platoons. Two of them around, it must be at least a full company, so there's likely one or two more, together with support teams.

Good thing I saved my MRLS tubes for now I do have a target rich environment in front of me! Each of them will likely receive a MRLS barrage each, while my other 155mm battery remained available there's that to add to fire power. I still have the two airstrikes, so will probably use them together for a maximum shock-and-awe. Not before I have foot infantry available to charge in against any retreats occuring from battle results though.

I did try out the Engineers with creating a Light Bridge. It failed, but I brought another Eng team to sit in the same hex. Come next turn I have a 40% chance for a success, so it should not be longer than two three turns to be able to move on.

I moved the two Para platoons that I ordered to do the river crossing forward, to see if there's anyone there. Empty it seems, so double timed my single HMG team in the area next to Objective. I might not take it over before the bridge is available, for berto even without LOS to the area will notice the flag changing its color.

There's the APC around, I do have the 4SP Armd Infantry team sitting next to my Fixed HQ counters, so I might move that forward now too, as the area is secured it seems.

What else? Oh yes, the little hill 5 hexes north of my Fire Base took quite a shelling. Berto must be concerned about it, and since the barrage hit the hex 100% spot on, he must have eyes there. Sounds like a proper introduction to send a recon troop there!  :knuppel2:

Mid-game inventory on my troops

Aleph Coy, having been able to secure Abu Sultan with light casualties, and then serving as a flank guard has traveled lightly. Its platoons are at 6 + 4 + 5 strength, so a loss of 3 SPs. Full of fight they are, still.

Beth Coy, who've taken the weight of most fighting in the center, are becoming a bit exhausted. At 3 + 5 + 3 they've lost 7 SPs out of 18. 3SP platoons can still fight, but soon they'd need to be designated to rear echelon security duties.

Gimel Coy, who've mostly spent time behind Beth, are almost at full strength too, with 4 + 5 + 5 platoons, so a loss of 4 SPs.

All three Coys have their HMG support teams at full 2SP strength. Fire and Movement...

Arm'd Engineers are at 6 + 3 + 6 SP, so two of them in excellent condition while one of them might be left behind soon.

My Centurion troops (Sho't Kal troops), are still all around, as are the M3 meatchoppers supporting them.

All in all, not too bad, despite having been in full battle for almost 10 turns now.

Egyptian reinforcements are arriving, this is turning into a full battle again it seems...

To be continued!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #10 - Right Flank

There was not that much happening this turn, so I'll be quick about it. In the right flank I send one of the Sho't Kal troops towards the Hill that received all that enemy artillery attention. My APs don't carry to rise to the top of it yet though. I have to think whether I want to do that before I have foot infantry observing the enemy area though. Could well be a hail of ATGMs waiting for me there...

Meanwhile, the remaing three Sho't Kal troops stay firmly at their Fire Base, to secure the imminent capture of the 25VP Objective front of them.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #10 - Right Flank

Not much happening here either. I Double Timed my Para platoon forward along the path there, so they continue to have eyes on the apparently empty desert hexes at my left flank. As pointed out so many times, the terrain here is very busy with vegetation, so who knows what lurks there.

Time to turn the attention then to the center. The enemy APCs are very vulnerable, as is the stack guarding the access to the 50VP "island" surrounded by Deep Water hexes.

Crossroads

Israeli End of Turn #10

So here we are then. My Sho't Kal troops west of the railroad promptly destroyed the APCs, while the HMG team at the railroad fired at the enemy counters in the middle. There was a Sagger team, an HMG team and trucks there, and after my meatchoppers and another Sho't Kal troop left the area, all that remains were the burning wrecks.

I decided to move my Gimel Paras back towards west, for I do believe the 3SP Engineer, the HMG team at that side of river, and the approaching 4SP Arm'd Inf platoon are what it takes to capture and hold the 25VP Objective.

Then, time to plot that artillery on enemy counters, also on the hex guarding the access to the 50VP area.

Victory Dialog reports another strong Israeli turn. As visible in the screenshot, my Paras have been able to move very efficiently, closely supporting each other.

Strength Dialog, after having missed it last turn, makes for some grim reading for the Egyptian HQ, with another 12SP worth of units lost.

That's it, over to Berto!

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #11

Another day another turn! Replay shows another Egyptian Arm'd Infantry platoon appearing, together with T-54 platoon. Things are heating up, again. Otherwise, no friendly losses, enemy had only one battery available, and their direct fire had my leftmost Para platoon Disrupted, but no losses.

Then, the friendly artillery barrages take place, causing at least a Retreat if not casualties. Time to check Strength Dialog later...

... Time to put my plan in place, first.

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #11 - Right Flank

First, let us see if I will manage to build the Light Bridge this turn. Success, the first try!

Then, time to move my HMG team into Objective. I've had friendly eyes on the location for several turns, so despite of the sometimes tricky concealment benefits the terrain allows, I really expect to find the place deserted. And so it was. 25VPs to my tally. Woo-hoo!

Then, time to establish a new Fire Base east of canal. I expect to receive a hailstorm of Saggers climbing that hill, but no, it is eerily quiet. I move another Centurion troop forward as well, leaving two of them guarding the Objective I've just taken. The Arm'd Infantry I had guarding my HQs is now set to climb another hill in the area, to keep eye on the north.

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #11 - Center and Left Flank

With things very quiet in the left flank, I decide to keep all my Paras in the middle. Come next turn I will move the 3SP Engineers to add to my left flank, while the other Engineer moves forward to build a Light Bridge to flank the 50VP Objective from southeast. I move the Gimel Coy paras to near the river bed as well, to spot any hostiles in the northern shore.

Then one Para platoon together with the HMG team to the bridge hex. No Op Fire. I would have expected them to man the Rubble hex there for the excellent defensive factor the terrain allows. Instead, I can move in there to force the Objective. When I am ready that is. The first priority still remains to trap as many troops in the pocket as possible.

Next, the enemy tankers. I move one Para platoon forward to observe all hexes where I can fire from. I can actually fire from here, utilising the reduces road movement cost for little shoot and scoot. Hopefully I can get the full two fire missions from each troop here?

Nope. One fire mission per troop, and additionally they are all on reduced Combat Efficiency, as I've moved quite far from my two HQ's Command Range. Still, let us see if I can dent them. Three troops, three volleys!

No results. Bummer. Oh well, just to test their  nerves, I will fire at his tanks twice with my Para platoons RPG armament.

No result gained, but let us see if he retreats his tanks next. It is no fun to observe your armor taking hit after hit during the enemy turn replay...

Crossroads

End of Israeli Turn #11

Here we are, with just the artillery to plot against enemy infantry:

My troops are quite nicely spread out among the line of advance. I am not overstacking anywhere, so will not receive any penalty from that (the limit is at 12SP per hex minus leaders who are not counted). I am quite exposed though. I have not used Smoke at all yet, come to think of it I have not even checked how much if any Smoke I have available. Smoke can be deployed by either artillery indirectly or by Engineers on the spot. Something to consider come next turn.

Looking at the Victory Dialog I realise I did not manage to knock out a single enemy SP either this turn, not from the direct fire nor from the artillery the before.

However, I did pocket the 25VP Objective so I am now in the Major Win territory for the first time.

Five turns to go! Over to you Berto.

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #12

Into the last 5 turns! The replay showed my Gimel HMG team losing the other gunteam, with enemy direct fire again not hitting anything. The enemy tankers boldly decided to stay in the open, to slug it out with my three Centurion troops. Also, at least one platoon entered the 50VP pocket. That's good news, now I just need to use the remaining turns to seal and mop up anyone who's stuck there.

After the friendly artillery phase the defending Egyptian rifle platoons received retreats, which actually opened the gate to the vital bridge hex.

Time to dash forward then!

Crossroads

Israeli Right Flank

First, let us seal the 25VP objective securely first. Using the light bridge my Engineer's created, the 3SP team moves forward, to dig in on the path towards the objective.

With one of my HMG teams in the objective, and two troops of Centurions covering the area, I should be safe here.

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #12 - Clash of Armor

Then, let us deal with the four Egyptian T-54s (T-55s?). With road movement, I move into LOS with them, all three troops having APs to fire two salvoes, then to retreat out of LOS if necessary. First salvo with all troops firing! Nothing.

Second volley, two kills and a retreat out of my tankers LOS.

Since I see their strength though, I must have eyes on their position. And so it is, from the hex my Engineers are holding. I Save AP for Firing to ensure I don't move there without being capable of firing. One of the Centurion troops must stay behind, while two troops move forward to new firing position.

Firing! A retreat with no losses this time. Also, my other troop can't move out of the hex now, so I leave the other troop to cover it with Op Fire in case the enemy tankers return. Hopefully they were Disrupted at least, so they could not move towards enemy until recovered...

Crossroads

Israeli End of Turn #12

With path forward cleared, I move the Aleph coy in wedge formatin forward. It would have been nice to use Smoke to cover their positions, but alas I checked and this scenario does not provide me with any Smoke rounds.

Next, I stack the counters in the middle section to move into the 50VP pocket. Two stacks of three counters, the one with the bridge with two Para platoons and a HMG team to cover them, while the one right to them has two Paras and the 6SP Engineer the latter hopefully lucky with dice to quickly create a light bridge here for a little flanking move.

Time to plot artillery next. All tubes available for the crucial next turn. I have two full 6SP enemy platoons at the village facing me, so it will be tough for my Paras to perhaps hold their ground. Should the enemy tankers remain out of sight though, they can expect full close support from the three Centurion troops and the Meatchopper troop in the area.

Victory Dialog shows Side A adding to their point tally, while the Strength Dialog continues to stack up enemy casualties.

This turn they can actually hit back at me with vengeance. Over to Berto to find out how bad!

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #13

Just as anticipated, the replay saw my forward units in a harms way. The 3SP forward platoon took hits from artillery then from direct fire, losing 2SPs, while I took one 1SP loss with another para platoon as well.

The friendly artillery in turn then wreak havoc at enemy platoons, leaving the 50VP hex undefended and with my forward coy with some room to breathe. Enemy tankers were nowhere to be seen, so they must have Disrupted and are staying behind.

LOS calculation with friendly eyes in more advanced positions revealed the enemy artillery and mortar batteries. Priority targets! Also, some trucks were seen retreating at the pocket I've created, retreating north. With nowhere to run, they are unspotted again for now, but with nowhere to go they should be easy to find.

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #13 - Into the Pocket

I had no luck with my engineers creating a bridge, so double timed my two Para platoons towards the existing bridge. Come next turn, I will have four Para platoons and the HMG team to mop up the pocket from any remaining hostiles. Should be more than enough to finish the job there.

Then, forward with the M3 Meatchoppers to soften the unit defending the entry to the pocket. That done, time to unpin those hand grenades and call in an assault. I only wish to push the enemy back here, shoud work out...

All clear! The road is now open to enter the pocket from West as well.

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #13 - Left Flank

Using road movement, I enter the one Centurion troop who stayed on road to soften the enemy forces next to the river, then an assault it is again. With the river behind their back, I actually hope to capture the lot, but there's a good chance they will retreat instead for there's another enemy platoon securing their flank.

A retreat it was.