Are You a Game Collector?

Started by Pete Dero, February 18, 2020, 10:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I read the graphics carefully.  The survey seems to apply only to electronic games leaving out pencil & paper, pdfs, and tabletop games.

In terms of just electronic games - I "probably" own less than 500 including all of the gog games, expansions, Steam, and whatnot.
Unless you count all of the pinball games I have on my virtual pinball machine and that alone is 300 or so.  But those were freeware once I purchased the expensive hardware.

But if you include RPGs (including individual pdfs for modules) my number would skyrocket. I own hundreds of pdf modules for D&D, DCC, MCC, Call of Cthulhu, etc.....

If you include tabletop games, add another 50.

If you start counting books - well the skies the limit since I went to electronic books.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: airboy on February 18, 2020, 05:01:01 PM
I read the graphics carefully.  The survey seems to apply only to electronic games leaving out pencil & paper, pdfs, and tabletop games.

Yes, sounds like they are talking about digital only.

I guess I am old fashioned...  It seems "empty" to say you are collecting something "digital." 

Persistence is so dependent on specific technologies. Not likely you will pass your "collection" onto the kids when you 'shuffle off this mortal coil.'

Having been around desktop technologies since the beginning, I really don't ever go back to lapsed technologies.

Some old game I still have in the garage, that can only be played on a C64 is just junk...no matter how much fun I had playing it 30+ years ago.

I guess hardware based games like old Atari cartridges might be an exception. You still can't play'em without the tech, but at least you can put'em on a shelf.

Now, a boardgame...well that is real, playable, until the cardboard disintegrates.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

Hi, my name is Andrew, and I collect games.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

-budd-

Between Steam, GOG, and Matrix, think i'm pushing 500+ ......now a bunch of those are DLC's.....do they count? :) 
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

airboy

Quote from: -budd- on February 18, 2020, 07:19:23 PM
Between Steam, GOG, and Matrix, think i'm pushing 500+ ......now a bunch of those are DLC's.....do they count? :)

Only if you want them to.  This is not Alcoholics Anonymous (at least for this thread). 

demjansk1942

Hi, 'll y name is Bernie and I collect tokens from Moscow, Ussr

MetalDog

My Steam library says I have 43 games.  Many of them were GH Donations or gifts.  I haven't played all of them, just most.  And the ones I set my mind to I have 1000+ hours on.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bardolph

No, I buy games I want to play, not to collect them. I have a lot of games, but that is a side effect.

Martok

Between Steam, GOG, GamersGate, Matrix/Slitherine, and a handful of older titles not tied to any DD platform, I have around 200 games -- a paltry number compared to most folks I know. 

As always, however, my problem is that I've played maybe only half of them, at least to any significant degree.  (Firing up a game and playing the tutorial doesn't count.)  Even with having reduced the number of games I purchase in a year, I still end up buying them faster than I can get to them.  (I sincerely admire Jarhead for managing to spend time with at least most of the stuff he picks up.)  :-\ 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

SirAndrewD

I always THINK I'm going to play the games in my library.   They all interest me.  I just don't do it.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Anguille

I am a game collector...btw, my name is Anguille

MC

I am a game collector and my name is Mud if my wife finds out.  :knuppel2:

Sir Slash

What happens at the Grogs, STAYS at the Grogs.  \m/
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

I went through my Steam Library.  I have 61 games.  Of those, 19 have been played less than 10 hours.  There are a couple that I played for half an hour and did not care for (Distant Worlds; Scythe) but the rest I've just not gotten around to yet but plan on playing.