2017 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 06, 2017, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

Quote from: Bison on September 08, 2017, 07:54:01 AM
So what happened Mirth?  You stopped posting updates.

Most likely passed out.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

I went to bed at halftime which turned out to be the right decision. Pats defense needs to get its act together. That was an abysmal performance last night. Brady didn't have a great game, but that debacle was mainly on the defense.

The first half of that game was terribly officiated. It in no way is an excuse for the Pats loss, but it is the main reason I didn't stay up for the second half. All it took was 30 minutes of the season opener to remind me of everything wrong with NFL officiating.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Marty Ward

Quote from: mirth on September 08, 2017, 08:26:31 AM

The first half of that game was terribly officiated. It in no way is an excuse for the Pats loss, but it is the main reason I didn't stay up for the second half. All it took was 30 minutes of the season opener to remind me of everything wrong with NFL officiating.

Every tried to ref a game, even in a kids league? It gives you a different perspective.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

mirth

I'm not saying it's an easy job, but there were some very bad calls in the first half last night.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Marty Ward

Perhaps. I missed most of the game but most refs call what they see and that is all they can call. They can change the call if someone has a different view but a ref is assigned an area of the field to watch, they don't watch the actual play unless it happens in their area of responsibility. That is why sometimes a ref will appear to have been in perfect position to see the play but they may have been looking at a different area of the field.
It is a tough job. My father reffed for over 30 years and my sister did it for 20, she made it to division II BB.I lasted about 6 months :) I have no idea how they managed it.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

bayonetbrant

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9/8/16272940/2017-nfl-picks-week-1-gambling-roger-goodell

QuoteOnce upon a time, I believed in a world where a group of insatiable, intelligent, educated columnists, writers, reporters, radio hosts, TV personalities and bloggers could combine their audiences to bring down an incompetent leader — by hanging him with the facts, by sifting through the never-ending bullshit and clumsy PR spin and pointing out in painstaking detail all the ways his administration was lying and twisting the truth, and by educating our skeptical audiences about all the ways this person was making everything worse in the short term and the long term. I believed in a world where, eventually, this person would be disposed of for a more competent replacement, and only because it was the right thing to do. I no longer believe in this world.

(By the way, I was talking about Roger Goodell.)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

http://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/41007714

QuoteAlex Gray has been in plenty of dressing rooms before - he captained England's sevens team and played club rugby for Newcastle Falcons and London Irish.

But they are nothing compared to what he is experiencing in his first season in American football.

"It's a bit funny, the guys rolling in in Ferraris," says Gray, the first English professional rugby union player to join the NFL.

The 26-year-old, who stands at 6ft 6in, weighs 18 stone and can run the 100m in 11 seconds, has signed for the Atlanta Falcons - Super Bowl runners-up last season - as a tight end in their practice squad.

Though he will not be allowed to play in the NFL this season, he will train with the first team in the hope of securing a deal from next year.

And having never previously played a game of American football, apart from on the computer, he finally got the opportunity against one of the most famous teams of all - the Miami Dolphins.

more at the link
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

I liked this quote from The Ringer

QuoteCombined, Savage and Tolzien led 19 drives that resulted in three points for their teams and 21 points for the opposition.

bayonetbrant

BanzaiCat

OJsDad

OJsDad

double post.