2017 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 06, 2017, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 08:53:18 PM
That's the speculation I heard, too.  I also heard that six folks from Florida, including the AD, had Chip in a hotel room in New Hampshire and didn't come home with him.  Maybe the SEC is too much for him?

That's a good point MD.  When Kelly coached in the PAC12, I'm not sure that there was a lot of competition for a far amount of time.  But if you look at Big10, Big12, SEC, and AAC right now, there are 2 or 3 teams battling it out for the top spots in those conferences.  But you don't have that in the PAC12.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 08:53:18 PMMaybe the SEC is too much for him?

What I'm reading elsewhere is that Chip doesn't want to have to spend a lot of time glad-handing and schmoozing with boosters, and that's a key element of being an SEC coach.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 20, 2017, 09:11:14 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 08:53:18 PMMaybe the SEC is too much for him?

What I'm reading elsewhere is that Chip doesn't want to have to spend a lot of time glad-handing and schmoozing with boosters, and that's a key element of being an SEC coach.

So he doesn't want to coach in college again?
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on November 20, 2017, 09:19:53 PM

PAC-12 fans - outside of Southern Cal, and maybe UW - don't have the same access expectations the SEC does (and to a lesser extent the Big-We-Can't-Count up there w/ y'all).  Here in ACC-land, there's only 2-3 football teams like that, but a LOT of hoops squads.

SEC fans just care more, b/c it's a lot more central to their self-identity.  You gotta live there to truly appreciate it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: OJsDad on November 20, 2017, 09:19:53 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 20, 2017, 09:11:14 PM

Right?!  That goes on everywhere, not just the SEC.  I had also heard he's not a big fan of recruiting and the business of being a coach.  All he wants to do is X's and O's.  Although, if that's true, why did Philadelphia let him wreck their team for a few years as Head Coach AND General Manager?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Heck, every coach would love to be an X's and O's coach and leave things like recruiting, working with boosters/AD's, making sure the appropriate paperwork is in order for the governing bodies (yes, even high schools coaches have to do this).

Sounds like he should sit at home and play Madden. 

airboy

I wish all of you could visit Auburn briefly on Friday.  You could see half a billion dollars of RVs within a 8 mile radius. 
Unless you have attended a monster SEC game, it is hard to fathom.

My extended family (with one lone exception) has been in Auburn for a really big Auburn-Alabama game.  The number of people that come, with monster massively expensive RVs is difficult to comprehend if you don't experience it live.

The stadium holds just short of 90,000 people.  There will probably be an additional 90,000 in Auburn who will be watching the game at tailgates, bars or house parties.

For perspective, Auburn itself has 60,000 residents (including students).

The line is Auburn +4.  Alabama has better talent, but they will have to show up, play hard, and avoid mistakes to win.

MetalDog

I agree with your assessment of Alabama's need to perform up to their talent.  And I heard plus four and a half.  I have yet to come upon a customer of mine who has invited me down to a tailgate in Tuscaloosa in their RV, but, I've seen the beasties you are speaking of.  Magnificent creatures.  Wish I could see the herd of them.  Good game to you and Auburn and Roll Tide!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on November 22, 2017, 08:51:21 PM

I've done LSU-Florida in Baton Rouge.

I challenge anyone to find a better spread of tailgating food than you'll find at an LSU home game.  It's just not gonna happen.

MetalDog

Somebody on the radio around here in the last couple of weeks was going on about the food at LSU tailgates.  Having never been tailgating, I can't speak to it, but it sure sounds like fun.  <:-)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 22, 2017, 09:57:25 PMHaving never been tailgating, I can't speak to it

Oy vey...  seriously?!

MetalDog

Once.  When I was a kid.  It was just a lot of beer drinking by the adults and not a lot of food.  Or stuff for me to do, so, I have to figure there's more to it.

bayonetbrant

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on November 22, 2017, 08:51:21 PM
I wish all of you could visit Auburn briefly on Friday.  You could see half a billion dollars of RVs within a 8 mile radius. 

Indeed.  I've been to a fair share of games in Jordan-Hare and it never ever gets old.  The Iron Bowl is on a level beyond comprehension.

The Tiger Walk is one of the best traditions in all of sports.  It's going to be lit this weekend.

Good health to the Bama on Saturday and War Eagle!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

My tailgate group fizzled out after 10 years.  We had a whole roast pig for 1 game, bbq cookoff for another and a low country seafood boil for a third every year.  But our menu beat 95 out of 100 groups at Auburn.

We still have a big cooking group.  Today 7 guys were at my house.  We fried 9 turkeys for various meals for tomorrow.  We played poker for 5 hours.  Our meal for poker was marinated steak tenderloin, Texas toast, roast potatoes and a big salad.  This was a normal poker meal.  The host gets 5 per person for the meal.  Today was odd because we had it at my house, but I only made the salad.  My house is designed to entertain, so this worked well.

We sometimes have wives\girlfriends who come just for the meal.

Once we went to 5 bucks for the meal food improved and those lacking the space (or spouse willingness) to host stopped feeling guilty.