2017 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 06, 2017, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 25, 2017, 11:05:02 PM
Quote from: airboy on November 25, 2017, 07:00:51 PM

Agree.  War Eagle!  Hope Auburn's backs are healthy next Saturday.

Yeah, hope everyone is healthy.  Going to be rough beating Georgia twice. 

As for tonight, hearing a lot of drunken yelling at my house.  Both my neighbors had Alabama parties today, and I had a big "War Eagle" banner in my window.  Just hoping I don't get a brick through it before the evening is done.

Highly unlikely if they are actual Bama grads.  But that eliminates 80% of their fans.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on November 26, 2017, 05:03:16 PM

Highly unlikely if they are actual Bama grads.  But that eliminates 80% of their fans.

Oh, almost certainly not.  I've got a lot of friends who are Bama grads including one who was the best man at my wedding.  They're all very good, even headed and reasonable football fans and I've never had a problem having them over for the Iron Bowl, or watching with them at their places.

Our neighbors aren't the kinds of Bama fans mentioned above, and they're kind of jerks in general.  Humorously, right now I'm watching them take down all their Bama stuff from their door and lawn.  Guess the weather isn't fair enough.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

17th consecutive winning season for the Patriots.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Arctic Blast

Quote from: MetalDog on November 27, 2017, 09:10:24 PM
First for the Rams in 10 years!

Amazing what hiring credible coaches who are willing to tailor an offensive system to their personnel will do, right?

Well, that and Wade Phillips. At this point I sincerely believe that he could construct a top ten defense from a bellhop, 3 traffic cones, a blocking sled, 2 waterboys and 4 bales of hay.

MetalDog

He's got a lot better than that to work with in L.A., but, I totally agree with you.   

Steelgrave

Denver and Houston were nuts to let Wade go elsewhere, especially Houston, where he started his pro career coaching linebackers under his dad, Bum Phillips.

JasonPratt

Best thing about the Vols season so far: my 10 year old niece writing a birthday card to my Dad, and at the end telling him, "Surprise! Butch Jones fired!"

Her father raised his daughters orange.  :smitten: (To be fair, they've tried to keep up the Razorpig blood, too, since his wife hails from that neck of the woods.)

Hopefully this will count as a seasoning season for our relatively young team, but being destroyed by Vandy... man... I'm glad for Vandy, I always feel sorry about beating up on them every year, but that's a hideous side effect of whatever chaos rituals are throwing Niffle into spasms elsewhere this season.

Incidentally, while I would still bet on LSU for champion tailgate food, I do expect the Volunteer fans could give them a run for the money.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

Quote from: Steelgrave on November 29, 2017, 09:21:17 AM
Denver and Houston were nuts to let Wade go elsewhere, especially Houston, where he started his pro career coaching linebackers under his dad, Bum Phillips.

I didn't think he was a great head coach.  As a matter of fact, I loved watching him run the Cowgirls into the ground.

Arctic Blast

^^Yep, he was a terrible head coach in Denver, Buffalo and Dallas. He's just not cut out for it. Pretty much a defensive genius, though. All because he actually tailors his concepts to his personnel. It's sad that so few coaches actually do that, always trying to shoehorn players into their precious scheme and then wondering why it doesn't work properly.  ::)

Steelgrave

Quote from: MetalDog on November 29, 2017, 08:04:38 PM

I didn't think he was a great head coach.  As a matter of fact, I loved watching him run the Cowgirls into the ground.

He actually has a decent win/loss record as a HC (83 wins, 67 losses)  but I wouldn't argue that he's better than average at that position....but as a Defensive Coordinator he should be in the Hall of Fame when he retires. How many defenses does Wade have to turn around in a season to prove that point? That's the man's niche and he may be better than anyone in the league at it.

MetalDog

Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 01, 2017, 03:37:10 PM
^^Yep, he was a terrible head coach in Denver, Buffalo and Dallas. He's just not cut out for it. Pretty much a defensive genius, though. All because he actually tailors his concepts to his personnel. It's sad that so few coaches actually do that, always trying to shoehorn players into their precious scheme and then wondering why it doesn't work properly.  ::)

Quote from: Steelgrave on December 01, 2017, 10:58:20 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 29, 2017, 08:04:38 PM

He actually has a decent win/loss record as a HC (83 wins, 67 losses)  but I wouldn't argue that he's better than average at that position....but as a Defensive Coordinator he should be in the Hall of Fame when he retires. How many defenses does Wade have to turn around in a season to prove that point? That's the man's niche and he may be better than anyone in the league at it.

Looks like we're all in agreement.  Harmonious even.  Hug?   :hug:

OJsDad

Oklahoma punched their ticket to the playoffs earlier today.

Georgia is on it's way to punching there's.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

West Florida won again! Semi-Finals, here we come!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MetalDog

Where's my Auburn guys? ;)

And before you are offended, I was pulling for the Tigers today.  Woulda made the 'Bama loss to them look better if they had taken out Georgia.  Now the Tide needs a lot more chaos to get in.  Go Miami and OSU!!