2017 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 06, 2017, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: MetalDog on December 02, 2017, 08:43:07 PM
Where's my Auburn guys? ;)

And before you are offended, I was pulling for the Tigers today.  Woulda made the 'Bama loss to them look better if they had taken out Georgia.  Now the Tide needs a lot more chaos to get in.  Go Miami and OSU!!

Drinking heavily.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

OJsDad

Yea, if Miami wins, that won't upset things too much.  But if OSU wins, then the selection committee may need new identities.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

I think the way to solve the Ohio St - Alabama debate is to just put Southern Cal in and piss off everyone east of the Rockies equally.  Or better yet, UCF :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 02, 2017, 09:35:58 PM
I think the way to solve the Ohio St - Alabama debate is to just put Southern Cal in and piss off everyone east of the Rockies equally.  Or better yet, UCF :)

LOL.

I think the real question is whether the committee want's 2 teams from the same conference.  I'm thinking they don't.  But the screwed up royally last year when they put OSU in, even though they didn't win either their division or conference.  If they had put in Penn St (as they should have), then, depending on how the games come out tonight, would be easier to make.

OSU didn't deserve to be in last year, but I think the committee was really wanting an Bama-OSU championship game.  Now, they may have a big mess on their hands. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

And before you are offended, I was pulling for the Tigers today.  Woulda made the 'Bama loss to them look better if they had taken out Georgia.  Now the Tide needs a lot more chaos to get in.  Go Miami and OSU!!

Well, you got half your wish. 

MetalDog

Hope it's enough *fingers crossed*
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

The game ran really late at night in Switzerland, so I was spared until this morning.  Wisconsin's loss probably put Bama in.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: airboy on December 03, 2017, 03:41:12 AM

The game ran really late at night in Switzerland, so I was spared until this morning.  Wisconsin's loss probably put Bama in.

I wish that were true, but, the narrative from the committee this year will be, 'Conference champions matter.'  I think that for two reasons, one, nobody seems to want two representatives from the same Conference, and two, OSU is as big a name as 'Bama, so, their conscience should be clear ignoring their reasoning for including OSU last year when they didn't win their Conference.

OJsDad

Bama vs Clemson

Georgia vs Oklahoma

MetalDog

OJsDad

If Bama and Georgia end up playing each other in the championship game, I think it could end up having one of the lowest TV ratings since the BCS.  That's not a knock on either team, I just don't think most of the country will tune in for two teams from the same conference. 

MetalDog

I'm not sure either team can get past their first round matchup.  But if they do, how they got there will help drive the story.  Along with the mentor/mentee relationship between Saban and Kirby Smart.  And I have found out there is a Yankees level hatred nationally for Alabama.  I think there will be plenty of eyeballs on their televisions if it's 'Bama/Georgia.  They just gotta get there first ;)

bayonetbrant

I think there are times that the rest of the country feels like 'Bama gets the benefit of the doubt that other teams wouldn't, just b/c they're 'Bama.

2011 is definitely one time that happened
This year is another.

MetalDog

'Bama proved out in '11.  '17 is yet to be decided.  And honestly, do you really want to see a Big 10 team shutout for the third year in a row?