2017 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 06, 2017, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on December 03, 2017, 09:01:23 PM
'Bama proved out in '11.  '17 is yet to be decided.  And honestly, do you really want to see a Big 10 team shutout for the third year in a row?

not particularly.  I thought they should've put in UCF just to piss everyone off :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

I think they should have put Penn State in last year and we wouldn't be in this mess.  Just because it benefits my team this year, doesn't mean I like it.  I would much rather reserve it for Conference champs exclusively.  But they won't do that.  For two reasons: 1) this kind of mess has people talking about it and there's no such thing as 'bad press,' and 2) they have five participating Conferences and only four spots.  If they made it explicitly Conference champs you risk having a multi loss participant and ALWAYS one Conference left out.  This way, they have leeway to include anyone they choose and there's no 'definitive,' way to measure it.  So you'll revert back to 1).
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Moreover, if you just put in conference champs, you've got to be prepared for some shitty teams...

Syracuse won conference titles with records of 9-3, 9-4, 8-4, and 6-6.
K State finished as a 10-3 conf champ; so did Colorado.
How about a 7-4 Texas?
Or best of all, your 7-5 Wisconsin Badgers...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

So the Seahawks just drop-kicked the Eagles, which means my Vikings are (apparently) now the best team in the NFC.  ??? 

Someone wake me if/when we actually get to play as the home team at the Super Bowl... 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

acctingman

Vikings are legit. Keenum is playing out of his mind and the purple people eaters are dominating.

MetalDog

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

From Stewart Mandel's bowl previews

Quote30. New Orleans (Dec. 16): Troy (10-2) vs. North Texas (9-4). The committee snubbed Troy. Seriously. Just like Alabama, its best win was against LSU. And unlike Alabama, the Trojans won a conference title.

MetalDog

Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho!  That's so funny!  I notice that you didn't post anything funny about Ohio State or North Carolina State.  Oh, wait, them not making the Playoff is the funny part.  My bad :P

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on December 05, 2017, 07:49:00 PM
Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho!  That's so funny!  I notice that you didn't post anything funny about Ohio State or North Carolina State.  Oh, wait, them not making the Playoff is the funny part.  My bad :P

1.  I hate Ohio State.  Probably as much or more than anyone here hates any other school

2.  The NC State bowl preview wasn't particularly funny.
Quote13. Sun (Dec. 29): N.C. State (8-4) vs. Arizona State (7-5). Strangely, ousted ASU coach Todd Graham is still in charge through the bowl game. His successor, Herm Edwards, should get a good opportunity here to assess the roster he'll be letting his coordinators coach next season.

MetalDog

Just a bit prickly.  I hate getting in the same way OSU did last year.  I really think this thing should be for Conference champs.  Although, if they are looking for the four best teams every year, then Conference champs only goes so far.

bayonetbrant

There's a difference between "best" and "most deserving".  Often they overlap.  Sometimes they do not.

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on December 05, 2017, 08:36:46 PM
Just a bit prickly.  I hate getting in the same way OSU did last year.  I really think this thing should be for Conference champs.  Although, if they are looking for the four best teams every year, then Conference champs only goes so far.

I think this is where so many people are scratching there heads.  The first couple of years, conference championships seemed to be important.  The last 2 years though, they don't seem to matter. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.